• Status
    Not open for further replies.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    So someone over in the "other" part of my work dropped a jeep off a lift today. Nobody was hurt. I didn't get to see it... The company has been replacing old lifts one at a time to spread costs around.... They've got the money to replace all of them, but are a bunch of tightwads... I guess the lift started jumping as he was going up with it and there wasn't anything he could do...

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Years ago just out of high school my shop foreman was teaching me to do alignments and almost rolled a chevy truck off the rack. I had to balance the side of the truck so he could let the jacks down. That's some scary stuff. Glad nobody was hurt

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Years ago just out of high school my shop foreman was teaching me to do alignments and almost rolled a chevy truck off the rack. I had to balance the side of the truck so he could let the jacks down. That's some scary stuff. Glad nobody was hurt

Every corner gas station had a lift back in the day. Saw a car come off on and heard story's about others.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    So in 1937, windshield defrosters were optional equipment on a Buick. If your car didn't come with one, you had to find other means. This old Trico vacuum operated fan mounted on the steering column was one way of doing it.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    So in 1937, windshield defrosters were optional equipment on a Buick. If your car didn't come with one, you had to find other means. This old Trico vacuum operated fan mounted on the steering column was one way of doing it.

That's kinda cool. It is amazing how many creature comforts we pretty much expect to have as standard features today. I mean in it's most basic form cars were just meant to go further, last longer, and be a step up from a horse & buggy. Then the creature comforts started which yeah I can see some as necessary but it always amazes me when you look at then vs now.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's kinda cool. It is amazing how many creature comforts we pretty much expect to have as standard features today. I mean in it's most basic form cars were just meant to go further, last longer, and be a step up from a horse & buggy. Then the creature comforts started which yeah I can see some as necessary but it always amazes me when you look at then vs now.

Yes and they have become so complex due to this.
    Don't get me wrong, I enjoy climate control, cruise control, anti-locks, electric windows seats and mirrors, rear window defrosters, tilt wheels, etc so on and so forth.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yes and they have become so complex due to this.
    Don't get me wrong, I enjoy climate control, cruise control, anti-locks, electric windows seats and mirrors, rear window defrosters, tilt wheels, etc so on and so forth.

Yeah I tell people these cars are much more complicated than the crap that NASA sent to the moon. So many people think the lap top tells us what the problem is and they have no clue. Personally I think it has gotten too excessive.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Air conditioned seats may be the best creature comfort ever. It will knock out a case of swass like no other.
    The lemans kinda has those. The "Astro ventilation" is not hooked up, therefore allowing air to always be moving into the car below the dash. Couple that with ripped seats, BAM! Cooled seats! Works best on the highway and there is no temperature control....

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom