• Status
    Not open for further replies.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    sometimes it dead hooks and we gotta give it more wheel speed to get off the line. Which is the are we are working on we need to improve a few hundredths in the first 60' but she pours on the coal in the big end. Most guys out 60 us by 6 hundredths. Dad is like paul bunyon on the tree though. The ol' man has had several .001, .002 lights.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    See that is where you guys all got it made. I can't just jump in a buzz down to the road for a coke. Not street legal and on carries 3 gal gas. That is where I really get jealous. And car shows are a no go bc it would be trailered in
    Car shows get old fast... Although pulling in and leaving while making lots of noise with the cutouts open is a lot of fun! I love the looks I get in my crusty turd. It sounds a lot healthier than it is, people always ask what's underhood, I just grin and smile. Lol. 140,000 mile 350 2 barrel don't sound half bad!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    See that is where you guys all got it made. I can't just jump in and buzz down the road for a coke. Not street legal and only carries 3 gal gas. That is where I really get jealous. And car shows are a no go bc it would be trailered in

On Saturday afternoon when the chores were done I would back the Camaro out and roll to the corner for a 12 pack. The ensuing fly by was a favorite among the neighbors.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    sometimes it dead hooks and we gotta give it more wheel speed to get off the line. Which is the are we are working on we need to improve a few hundredths in the first 60' but she pours on the coal in the big end. Most guys out 60 us by 6 hundredths. Dad is like paul bunyon on the tree though. The ol' man has had several .001, .002 lights.

What is your avg. 60. Curious.

We had a dead hook double hop to get worked out after I built the new full roller motor. Had to step up to double adjustable rear shocks and let the front wheels go full droop on the "A" arm adjustments.
    Also 2# more tire pressure to reduce wrap up.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Average 60 is 1.17-1.18

That is what I thought it should go.
    1.28 was our best....again, if memory serves.......:oldwise:

Being a Turbo-400 car it launched pretty hard. Nothing against a glide but I actually prefer a stick over an auto but near impossible to run a bracket car that way. My son is the same way. It took us a full season to get him to let me hook up the noid to shift the car on the chip. The glide might have made the car a bit faster but not near as much fun.....:cool:

I would love to see your car run. I am sure I have seen it.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Poncho out the hole. Chebby on the big end. Benefits of making power at higher RPM. Amazing watching him catch up. This is my favorite class to watch run.

[video=youtube;QT_8Mi9QSgs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT_8Mi9QSgs&feature=share[/video]

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Chevy rules.......:cool:
    I never said they didn't. ;)

I love both. Hell, as long as it's a GM I'm happy. Have always had lots of love for 71-2 Chevelles, for whatever reason I love that single head light.. I love my poncho peeps, but deep down I know lots more can be done with a Chevy engine. Lots to be said for poncho torque though, if you drive them right they are hard to beat. Extremely hard to keep the RPM in pulling range when you're trying to show off though. :):

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I never said they didn't. ;)

I love both. Hell, as long as it's a GM I'm happy. Have always had lots of love for 71-2 Chevelles, for whatever reason I love that single head light.. I love my poncho peeps, but deep down I know lots more can be done with a Chevy engine. Lots to be said for poncho torque though, if you drive them right they are hard to beat. Extremely hard to keep the RPM in pulling range when you're trying to show off though. :):

That is the real key.
    My 65 had a 389 Tri-Power and I drove it like a chevy. Always wanting the tach to stretch out a bit more. Just not driving it like a Pontiac. I did the same thing to the 340 Duster I owned back in the day. They will not stretch out with out harm either.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    That is what I thought it should go.
    1.28 was our best....again, if memory serves.......:oldwise:

Being a Turbo-400 car it launched pretty hard. Nothing against a glide but I actually prefer a stick over an auto but near impossible to run a bracket car that way. My son is the same way. It took us a full season to get him to let me hook up the noid to shift the car on the chip. The glide might have made the car a bit faster but not near as much fun.....:cool:

I would love to see your car run. I am sure I have seen it.

Rowing gears certainly is certainly a skill to be learned. But to be honest in an 1/8 mile you gotta get a lot of stuff done in a short amount of time. We do manually shift it though no air shift here. Plus for what we do a clutch requires way too much maintenance and plays into the tune up. The biggest downside to a glide from my perspective is there are only like 2 (maybe 3) gear sets available for it. The big craze really is to run a turbo 400 because there are a lot more gear choices available. So it allows more fine tuning of the RPMs.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Rowing gears certainly is certainly a skill to be learned. But to be honest in an 1/8 mile you gotta get a lot of stuff done in a short amount of time. We do manually shift it though no air shift here. Plus for what we do a clutch requires way too much maintenance and plays into the tune up. The biggest downside to a glide from my perspective is there are only like 2 (maybe 3) gear sets available for it. The big craze really is to run a turbo 400 because there are a lot more gear choices available. So it allows more fine tuning of the RPMs.

On point.
    When I finally got the shiftnoid hooked up (to my sons dismay) he came to find there was more time for actually driving the car. It was also more consistant which is the whole point to bracket racing. A lot to do in 6 seconds and in your case 4 seconds.
    No way a sportsman could run a clutch/stick set up and stay ahead of the maint.
    The Pro Stock guys have a full crew for this.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    On point.
    When I finally got the shiftnoid hooked up (to my sons dismay) he came to find there was more time for actually driving the car. It was also more consistant which is the whole point to bracket racing. A lot to do in 6 seconds and in your case 4 seconds.
    No way a sportsman could run a clutch/stick set up and stay ahead of the maint.
    The Pro Stock guys have a full crew for this.

Yeah bracket racing is all about being consistent heck even in heads up racing being consistent will win you more races. There's a whole lotta ways to lose a drag race and it's certainly not always the fastest car that wins. All too often the guy with the fastest car can beat themselves

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom