• Status
    Not open for further replies.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Are you going to run the same cam? Inspect that bugger close. Cam bearings aren't in question with the replaced short block.

Get it running, and drive it. Winter is coming and that will give you time to plan what you really want to put in it...351C, 351W, 460 whatever. Just stay positive and put the other engine woes behind you

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    So a friend had a 67 galaxie 500 two door 4 speed 390 car about 1986. Stock when he got we installed headers a offy intake and a carter AFB the kind with the metal plate on the front.
    Ran ok didn't have much on the bottom end it had like 3.00 gears. He promptly blew the 390 up dropped a valve on a power shift. Then went in a 428 out of a station wagon. We switched engines in about 4 hour's oh to be young again!
    He blew that one up wrist pin this time.
    He found a low mileage 352 we found a small cam for it.
    Ran ok he traded for a 72 Chevelle.
    I don't think the FE series was known as reliable?
    CM is that true ? I don't want spread bad info.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So a friend had a 67 galaxie 500 two door 4 speed 390 car about 1986. Stock when he got we installed headers a offy intake and a carter AFB the kind with the metal plate on the front.
    Ran ok didn't have much on the bottom end it had like 3.00 gears. He promptly blew the 390 up dropped a valve on a power shift. Then went in a 428 out of a station wagon. We switched engines in about 4 hour's oh to be young again!
    He blew that one up wrist pin this time.
    He found a low mileage 352 we found a small cam for it.
    Ran ok he traded for a 72 Chevelle.
    I don't think the FE series was known as reliable?
    CM is that true ? I don't want spread bad info.

FE's are not all that tough when you beat on them. Not to offend the Blue Oval guys but it is a truth. They were truck engines basically. Built for torque and lower RPMs. A really good friend is nuts about Fords. He has built 3 really stellar FE's all stroked out pieces. But he searches for certain blocks. Uses aftermarket rotating assembly's and after market heads. Even with all this he keeps them chipped around 5800. He said he has scattered enough of them.

I have driven everyone of them and they do make a grown man smile. But If I were to venture into the Blue Oval arena it would be with a side oiler cross bolt.

Growing up there were a lot of Fordnatics. Buddy had a 428 Cobra mustang. The engine was constantly hanging over it on a chain.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The latest from the Rusty files.....This guy has the dream job I would die for right now.

pDEerVK.jpg

8biVKUK.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom