Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Love this.

Me too! I was just checking all of the tracking numbers. We should have everything we have ordered by Thursday. Moog parts tomorrow for the front end. Dash pad Wednesday. Radio and speakers Thursday. I'll be driving it by the weekend! I'll have to see if I can schedule the alignment for Friday.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Spot welds every 3"-5" will be fine with your cage.
    One of the easiest ways to drill out the old spot welds is with a Blair cutter or drill bits that have the starter bit built into the bit.
    Grind out the area to be welded very clean.
    Being old school I still like to use Weld Through Primer on freshly ground surfaces. Seam sealer is good from an old guy like me. I guess you can still get the 3M brush on? or squeeze tube sealer.
    There's probably better new products to use. I'd grab the info from one of the guys like Diamond Collision or Rusty that are still doing this on a daily basis.
    I'm still working on my old street Dodge body and will use my existing stock of old fashioned sealers, primers, and adhesives.

Thanks for the info. I will buy some of those bits this week. I had planned on using a rotobroach spot weld cutter. Since the new metal is bare I figured on at least painting the backside with weld through primer. I'll have to see about getting some 3M brush on sealer.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Thanks for the info. I will buy some of those bits this week. I had planned on using a rotobroach spot weld cutter. Since the new metal is bare I figured on at least painting the backside with weld through primer. I'll have to see about getting some 3M brush on sealer.

The squeeze tube works great as well. Put in on like caulk and rub it in with your finger. Careful of sharp metal. When you've done it every day for years you don't get cut. LOL!
    You can also use a small grinder with the 4 or 5" stone wheels on them. Grind off the spot welds but not going all the way through is easy where you have the room.
    Depending on condition of the rocker welds you can easily go through 3 or 4 Blair bits. Buy a couple of extra.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Thanks halfmile. I will be getting some more materials this week and then next week I am hoping to see how far I can get while I'm on vacation. Weather looks like it could suck though in the afternoons

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Thanks halfmile. I will be getting some more materials this week and then next week I am hoping to see how far I can get while I'm on vacation. Weather looks like it could suck though in the afternoons
    I'd still make supports for the floors while you cut out the old rockers and line up the new ones. It doesn't have to be expensive. I used wood for years. Rail road ties, 4x4s, 2x4s, etc. strings, string levels, and a good tape measure are invaluable. Metal shifts when it's load bearing and you start cutting metal loose.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'd still make supports for the floors while you cut out the old rockers and line up the new ones. It doesn't have to be expensive. I used wood for years. Rail road ties, 4x4s, 2x4s, etc. strings, string levels, and a good tape measure are invaluable. Metal shifts when it's load bearing and you start cutting metal loose.

Where should I add the supports in at? Just something to support the floor pan or do I need something to keep the A-B pillar spaced?

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I picked up a newer virgin engine a bit back. factory roller cam motor. Calling my old machine shop today to make sure he's still doing it. then Thursday I'll get it dropped off and then order the pistons. I'm shooting for 10:1 compression and 350hp.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I picked up a newer virgin engine a bit back. factory roller cam motor. Calling my old machine shop today to make sure he's still doing it. then Thursday I'll get it dropped off and then order the pistons. I'm shooting for 10:1 compression and 350hp.

That is an easy enough target. You might be surprised.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN

I would take advantage of the lift that those heads can take and the intake runner size. Your compression with a healthy roller cam should be WELL above 350hp, depending on how high you want it to rpm.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Some of the Comp XFI grinds have a lot of lift without a lot of duration. Might be a good option for you.

A Comp lifter on a Comp thumper went hand grenade on me with the engine at idle and less than 10 hours mostly putting around the backyard time on it. No more comp products for me! Their customer service consisted of a lot of unanswered voice mails.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom