• Status
    Not open for further replies.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Ok I'm going a little off topic here. Ok so I am an Automotive Tech by trade. But, does anyone else have family that expects you to change your plans or drop whatever you have going on to fix their car every time there is a problem?
    So my SIL's mini van overheated last night on 465 (on east side). She didn't notice until she saw steam while in traffic. Then she kept driving it down to Emerson & Thompson before she pulled over. She was going to pick up her neice so she didn't want to stop. So the kids genius dad pops the radiator cap off and of course hot coolant goes everywhere (all over said genius as well). So they let it cool off, drive it over to Autozone and added 1.5 gallons on coolant and water and she drives it home staying on city streets but it never overheated again. Now somehow, I am expected to..1- go look at it, 2- they will want me to try to find parts for it (been down this road before and obsolete parts have been an issue), and 3- will ask me...can you fix it. Now, nevermind I don't have room in the garage for it so I have to work on it in their driveway @ 75yds away from the garage and the weather is going to be crappy. My brother has to work so I have no gofor to assist and will no doubt be working for free. I really don't mind helping, especially family but dang, I'm not a miracle worker.
    Sorry had to vent. Carry on

Edit- does anyone else have a FLEET of family members cars you are expected to help maintain?

A co-worker has this problem big time, not only can't he say no to family members but every stray dog they drag over to him expecting to get their POS running. Honestly he's a helluva lot better person than I am . . .all he does every weekend is work on someone else's junk! I don't know how much he's spent in parts never to get paid back for much less his labor.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    A co-worker has this problem big time, not only can't he say no to family members but every stray dog they drag over to him expecting to get their POS running. Honestly he's a helluva lot better person than I am . . .all he does every weekend is work on someone else's junk! I don't know how much he's spent in parts never to get paid back for much less his labor.
    it

My family at least buys their own parts and whatever I tell them it needs. I guess it's partly my own fault, I struggle to tell them no. I really don't mind helping because I usually rope them into helping with other stuff. So it's a trade off. I just get aggravated that I'm always expected to fix stuff on their schedule. Oh and they expect me to be able to tell them what is wrong with the car over the phone or by listening to the sound on cell phone video. Oh well, I'm over it. Looked at the dang van, told my brother to get engine degreaser and get it cleaned off. Not much I can do when I have to dodge rain and thunderstorms.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

This is on him all the way. As long as you enable they will come.
    I was just home from a radiation treatment during the battle with the big "C". My family was aware. The oldest sister called me to tell me her car had died somewhere on the north east side of town and wanted me to "Go get it and get it running for her" and oh, I am broke.
    So I have been off work for 3 months fighting cancer, just home from a serious dose of Gamma rays or what ever the hell they use, not a hair on my body and I am lucky to walk over and answer the phone without falling down. WTF.

That was the end of me talking to about any of them. 1 sister I still have a relationship with. She is self reliant.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    it

My family at least buys their own parts and whatever I tell them it needs. I guess it's partly my own fault, I struggle to tell them no. I really don't mind helping because I usually rope them into helping with other stuff. So it's a trade off. I just get aggravated that I'm always expected to fix stuff on their schedule. Oh and they expect me to be able to tell them what is wrong with the car over the phone or by listening to the sound on cell phone video. Oh well, I'm over it. Looked at the dang van, told my brother to get engine degreaser and get it cleaned off. Not much I can do when I have to dodge rain and thunderstorms.

I get that a lot about HVAC stuff. Friends wanting me to "Stop by" and have a look.
    Ha......I do not need any practice. I can never find them when I need a hand. There are a few I will stop drop and roll for cause they will return the efforts but man it does get old.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    This is on him all the way. As long as you enable they will come.
    I was just home from a radiation treatment during the battle with the big "C". My family was aware. The oldest sister called me to tell me her car had died somewhere on the north east side of town and wanted me to "Go get it and get it running for her" and oh, I am broke.
    So I have been off work for 3 months fighting cancer, just home from a serious dose of Gamma rays or what ever the hell they use, not a hair on my body and I am lucky to walk over and answer the phone without falling down. WTF.

That was the end of me talking to about any of them. 1 sister I still have a relationship with. She is self reliant.

Oh wow, I'd like to think my family wouldn't be that cold. Unfortunately we never know until a situation happens.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I get that a lot about HVAC stuff. Friends wanting me to "Stop by" and have a look.
    Ha......I do not need any practice. I can never find them when I need a hand. There are a few I will stop drop and roll for cause they will return the efforts but man it does get old.

Luckily when a freind calls about a car its usually to ask what I am doing with the racecar or to ask what they should do to their racecar. No that, I can talk about all day (most days)

ZachJ03

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum there. I work 3, 12 hour shifts Sat-Mon 4:30pm-5am. Then our youngest stays home with me throughout the week to save on child care. Been this was for 4.5 years now. After the 3 late night 12's with no sleep and a youngster needing my attention the rest of the week, I have no problem being a jerk with my free time. We also have a 10 year old so when she gets home it's help with homework time and all that. Wife gets home at 5:30pm so I'm usually ready to hit the gym and blow off some steam. Side note, bought a 2005 Silverado Z71 today and to my surprise, has the L33 5.3 motor. The L33 is an aluminum block with bumped 10:1 compression, LS6 style heads and tad more aggressive cam. Pretty stoked about that.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum there. I work 3, 12 hour shifts Sat-Mon 4:30pm-5am. Then our youngest stays home with me throughout the week to save on child care. Been this was for 4.5 years now. After the 3 late night 12's with no sleep and a youngster needing my attention the rest of the week, I have no problem being a jerk with my free time. We also have a 10 year old so when she gets home it's help with homework time and all that. Wife gets home at 5:30pm so I'm usually ready to hit the gym and blow off some steam. Side note, bought a 2005 Silverado Z71 today and to my surprise, has the L33 5.3 motor. The L33 is an aluminum block with bumped 10:1 compression, LS6 style heads and tad more aggressive cam. Pretty stoked about that.

I can relat to the long night shift hours. I work 10:30p-7a Sun night - Fri morning. I work OT as needed.
    BTW nice score on the truck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Been looking at fuel injection options. There are so many ways to do this now.

My buddy swears he can increase the power of my bike by placing a piece of fine mesh over my fuel line so that it "sprays" into my carb? I feel like he has no idea what he is talking about, not really relevant just cruising the forum

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My buddy swears he can increase the power of my bike by placing a piece of fine mesh over my fuel line so that it "sprays" into my carb? I feel like he has no idea what he is talking about, not really relevant just cruising the forum

Fuel atomizes in the carb. That is what it does. Those screen gimmicks are exactly that.....gimmicks. If that worked every Hot Rod and race car would have one.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Carbs are old school and cool. I appreciate things that take a bit of black magic to make work correctly. But, you get better atomization by converting to fuel injection.

I run E85 but when it gets cold I have a hell of a time getting the car started. I have to blend in more real gas and adjust the air fuel ratio. I can't pull a carb and re-jet so I attach my laptop and adjust the global injector and dead time.
    Ashampoo_Snap_Sunday, November 19, 2017_10h25m31s_001_.jpgAshampoo_Snap_Sunday, November 19, 2017_10h28m32s_002_.jpg

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    The magnets never worked for me either and up until now I thought it was cause they were just the wrong ones as they were marketed to soften my house's water supply...:ugh:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom