Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yep, most crate engines have decent quality but often use mid grade internals. Too often people think they should be pretty much bullet proof and end up with a pile of scrap metal.
    Depending what you want and if you are starting from scratch or have some good used parts really makes a cost difference. Money buys horsepower, and pick your PRO wisely they are not created equal and your end product and satisfaction is in their hands

Even some Pro's get overwhelmed at times.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What would the trans guys say? Built 4L60E or 4L80E swap....

Behind what.
    Small block the 60 built up will do OK. This is an R700 on electronics with better internals depending on the year. I had to try 3 different trans before I found the one my guy would build up for me.
    Big block go with the 80...built up of course.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

the 80 just due to GVW but you must have a stand along control unit to run the trans. If the truck already has an 80 in it and it needs attention get it out and down to my guy.he will take care of you.
    If you are looking for the OD trans/lock-up converter package you will have to drop serious coin on an ECU for the box.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    the 80 just due to GVW but you must have a stand along control unit to run the trans. If the truck already has an 80 in it and it needs attention get it out and down to my guy.he will take care of you.
    If you are looking for the OD trans/lock-up converter package you will have to drop serious coin on an ECU for the box.

It’s an ‘04 with a 60 in it. From what I’ve read the factory computer will control a 60 or an 80 with the proper adapting harnesses.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It’s an ‘04 with a 60 in it. From what I’ve read the factory computer will control a 60 or an 80 with the proper adapting harnesses.

On this I am not sure but there are a butt load of differences in the transmissions from year to year. Do your home work.
    I can probably get you a decent box but as always buying used is a crap shoot.

Is the 60 hurt...???

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    The hemi talk has now got me thinking about my project. I have been moving on the path of scrapping the original 350 and just getting a crate rather than building it. It's a stock 190 hp. (73 vette) Now you have me second guessing.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The hemi talk has now got me thinking about my project. I have been moving on the path of scrapping the original 350 and just getting a crate rather than building it. It's a stock 190 hp. (73 vette) Now you have me second guessing.

My buddy's dad put a 383 crate motor in his 78 went to some effort to retain the original "appearance", you weren't paying attention you'd miss the tremec patterned shifter. He LOVES when some clown in a C6 revs the motor whilst sitting next to him at a light!:rockwoot:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My buddy's dad put a 383 crate motor in his 78 went to some effort to retain the original "appearance", you weren't paying attention you'd miss the tremec patterned shifter. He LOVES when some clown in a C6 revs the motor whilst sitting next to him at a light!:rockwoot:

383's are brutes by comparison. 388's are just a tick more brutish.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    A nice 73 Vette with a strong 350 with a real carb is refreshing!

In the modern realm a slow car is 13.00 and if your top speed isn’t 170 + is really not fast 450-650 hp to the ground is the name of the game.

Hard to keep up with the modern stuff I find it nice to just drive an older car an enjoy its era.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

In the modern realm a slow car is 13.00 and if your top speed isn’t 170 + is really not fast 450-650 hp to the ground is the name of the game.

Hard to keep up with the modern stuff I find it nice to just drive an older car an enjoy its era.

It is a different song. The music is more visceral. The response to the right foot is predictable and then is explodes. I love the sound of a screaming solid lifet small block.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I have really thought about all this discussion. New versus old school.

I have come up with this. I can not enjoy someone elses work. I might respect it. I might smile when I see it run or look it over. Respect.
    Me, I can not wait to tear into what ever it is I have that is a wanna be Hot Rod crying out for my attention.
    Rip off the exhaust and header it up. Manifold, ignition, gears, clutch, traction enhancements you name it. Once I have found the extreme limits of the package I either sell it to start anew of pull the bullet out and get deep in its internals. That marks phase 2.
    Sometimes there is a phase 3. This phase is pushing everything to the limit. Then I sell it and start anew.

I could never do this with a factory hot rod. On some of these phase 3 is the next step and the expense on top of owning the car is out of reach. There is just no way to justify -CM- engineering a $50K car. It is just out of the question.

Now finding a $3K 65 Biscayne roller and pumping $25 K into it somehow seems OK.
    When I am done it is all me. Everytime I ring the guts out of it, it answers the call willingly, performs to my expectations, I am pleased. Very pleased. All is right with my world for a brief moment.

When I rode in that Hellcat, drove the insanely fast Corvette, got pushed back in the seat in a Ken Brown Mustang.....yes that was almost orgasmic. But it was not fulfilling. Fun, dangerous, light speed blur fast on the street.....Hell yes. But it was not something I put together.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom