• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    This is not a NRA Hate thread, I think it would be nice to know what we are getting for our money.

Is the NRA all its cracked up to be? Maybe, but lets hear from some of the lifetime members here and see what they have gotten for their money?

Your donation/membership goes to ...?

Wayne LaPierre made $895,000 in 2004 and $907,000 last year=35,000 memberships.
    I'm all about higher ups in organizations making higher up salaries, but an organization that is created to fight for the 2n Amen paying the President almost a Million bucks is a bit much IMO. Not to mention the other salaries under him.

Insurance

******As an NRA Member in good standing, you're now entitled to $7,500.00 in NO COST benefits ($12,500.00 for Life Members). You cannot be turned down.*****

But activation is required*for this complimentary privilege.$5,000.00 NO COST Accident Benefit:Your loved ones will receive a check for $5,000.00 ($10,000.00 for Life Members) if you fall victim to a fatal covered accident.*No strings attached. No cost involved.$2,500.00 NO COST ArmsCare Benefit:*Lock in an exclusive NRA safety net for your firearms. Protects against theft … loss … or damage. Of course, no registration of your guns or serial numbers are required.

Annual members receive $5,000 of Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage at*NO COST*to you. The plan covers accidents at, or to and from, an NRA event; and accidents that occur during the use of firearms or hunting equipment while hunting. Insurance must be activated at time of renewal. (Does not include Junior membership.) :noway:

$2,500 of ArmsCare coverage with your NRA membership. This plan covers insured firearms, air guns, bows and arrows against theft, accidental loss, and damage. :yesway:

Civil Rights Legal & Financial Fund

Eligible CasesWhich Cases are Accepted:The NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund supports litigation involving significant legal issues relating to the right to keep and bear arms.Among the Fund's activities are:*Defense of persons charged with criminal violations of federal, state, and local laws that prohibit the acquisition or possession of firearms by peaceful and honest AmericansCivil challenges to federal, state, and local laws that prohibit a law-abiding citizen or class of citizens from possessing or using firearmsOpposition to unlawful forfeitures of firearms seized by federal, state, or local authorities in violation of the Fifth or Fourteenth AmendmentsCivil actions against federal, state, and local authorities who, while enforcing unfair gun laws, violate citizens' rights under the First, Second, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, and Fourteenth AmendmentsChallenges to administrative interpretations of federal, state, and local laws that infringe the right to keep and bear arms guaranteed by the Common Law, the Constitution of the United States, or the constitutions of various statesChallenges to administrative actions denying or restricting a citizen's right to possess or carry firearms.*

Fighting for your rights

The National Rifle Association goes to great lengths (and spends a huge sum of money) to defend the right to bear arms. It is opposed to virtually every form of gun control, including restrictions on owning assault weapons, background checks for gun owners, and registration of firearms. NRA’s influence is felt not only through campaign contributions, but through millions of dollars in off-the-books spending on issue ads and the like. Following the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, the NRA supported proposals to arm airline pilots with guns. Between 2001 and 2010, the NRA spent between $1.5 million and $2.7 million on federal-level lobbying efforts. During the 2010 election cycle, the NRA spent more than $7.2 million on independent expenditures at the federal level -- messages that advocate for or against political candidates. These messages primarily supported Republican candidates or opposed Democratic candidates.

So over 10 years they spent roughly 1/3 of the NRA's President's salary? Maybe that was all that was required to spend, maybe they only spend as much as they half to.

Overall I don't think the NRA is a terrible organization to endorse but I most certainly see places where the could be financially more diligent.

RNM :patriot:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I would agree. I haven't subscribed as a member to the organization simply because I think they are TOO financially driven to call themselves a "non profit." They get their money in from too many different avenues that one wouldn't think should be charged for an organization that supposedly "fights for gun rights." I figure, that there's enough other people who promote them that they won't miss my money for membership. That being said, they still get money from me for maintaining my certified instructor and RSO credentials. That benefits me enough to pay for it, IMO. Not necessarily monetarily but just to have the credentials to show and help welcome new shooters to our world are worth the cost of maintaining these to me.

straid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    I know people down in Georgia and from what I've been told, the NRA has tried diligently on several occasions to torpedo bills that would extend the gun rights down there.

There are too many other stories like that, where the NRA has stepped in and tried to take-over the efforts of state-run or grass-roots organizations and/or just taken credit for things they either never did or joined late in the game, so they could attach themselves to efforts already in progress to make themselves look better.

Between that and getting renewal notices 1 month after signing up and the barrage of scare-tactic mailers that followed, that was enough for me to cancel my one and only yearly membership with them.

From where I am standing the NRA is more concerned about the NRA than they are about 2A rights. That's not to say they haven't done good things, but in growing to the size they have, I think they've lost of lot of their original purpose. All just my opinion, of course.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I know people down in Georgia and from what I've been told, the NRA has tried diligently on several occasions to torpedo bills that would extend the gun rights down there.

What bills are these?

There are too many other stories like that, where the NRA has stepped in and tried to take-over the efforts of state-run or grass-roots organizations and/or just taken credit for things they either never did or joined late in the game, so they could attach themselves to efforts already in progress to make themselves look better.

Yes, I have had personal experience with this. As I am an NRA Endowment Member I really don't have a problem as long as the cause is advanced, but I could see how someone like Alan Gura would be irked.

Between that and getting renewal notices 1 month after signing up and the barrage of scare-tactic mailers that followed, that was enough for me to cancel my one and only yearly membership with them.

You do not begrudge them attempting to raise money do you?

I mean I know Directors of state associations that are shameless in attempting to recruit members.:D

Wayne LaPierre made $895,000 in 2004 and $907,000 last year=35,000 memberships.

A valid concern, but he is skipper of a four million member organization. However, LaPierre is making said salary on the level. A more valid concern, in my opinion, is that the salaries of spouses are not receiving enough scrutiny, IMHO.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I'm a long time NRA member, although not a life member, and ole' Wayne has been raising my eyebrows for some time now. I know one thing for certain: they could save themselves a ton of OUR money if we didn't receive 2-3 mailers from them each and every week. Talk about wastefull....hell, that's shamefull. :xmad:

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Although I don't agree with everything the NRA does, they are the big dog in the fight for our firearms freedom. If some of you will recall, Bill Clinton stated that the NRA was the reason the Dems lost handily in the 1994 [??] election.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I've been a Lifer for more than 10 years.

I like them because they put the fear of God and Country in politicians who I don't generally agree with.

...and they send me a nice magazine every month for free...

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I served three terms on the NRA Board of Directors.

Each year I voted on LaPierre's salary. He's worth every penny. He received offers from other organizations for far more money than we paid him. He stays because he's dedicated to the cause.

We heard a lot from members about the mailings and occasionally a director would rise on the floor of a board meeting and ask one of our financial whizzes if maybe we were coming on a bit too strong.

We always got the same answer, "When we send out mailings they send us money."

Works for me.

c3d4b2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Liberty,

I am less concerned about the salary than the information I have read regarding the problems the NRA has caused in various states. I have wondered if this is anti propaganda, however the information is concerning.

Would you have any information regarding these incidents you could share?

straid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    What bills are these?
    Here's one I found after a cursory search. I'll touch base with some friends down there and see which others ones the NRA got involved with.

NRA at odds with gun law reform in Georgia - Atlanta gun rights | Examiner.com

You do not begrudge them attempting to raise money do you?
    No, but I do question the manner in which they do it. I wish they'd just be honest and say, "Please donate money for the cause." I'd gladly contribute. That would be refreshing. Instead, they inundate us with scare tactics and bogus questionnaires that have absolutely no meaning. It's immature and makes me respect them a little bit less. I don't kowtow to cheap theatrics.

Kenny87ky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    I sometimes wonder if joining the NRA helps at all, I join for $25-35 dollars for a year, and they respond by sending in over $100 in postage for letters, notices, surveys, and even sending me dvds and stuff trying to get me to subscribe to something else.

I am computer literate and I wish they would acknowledge many members are and stop with all the junk mail and offers, I know what is going on and I don't need them to send me stuff, they can email me and I can do most research online, they would be more efficient if they put that money towards actually doing something that matters.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    I am a life member, have been for almost 15 years now. My price of entry makes me part of an 800 pound Gorilla in the room (politically). Now my 800 pound Gorilla acts like a bull in a China Shop sometimes. Stuff gets broken and my 800 pound Gorilla can get unruly and ignorant on occasion but he is still MY Gorilla. I adore the primary characteristics of my 800 pound Gorilla. I can be quite tolerant of the occasional broken teacup.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Liberty,

I am less concerned about the salary than the information I have read regarding the problems the NRA has caused in various states. I have wondered if this is anti propaganda, however the information is concerning.

Would you have any information regarding these incidents you could share?

I've been off the board a few years now and I have no insight concerning recent events.

I can tell you there are times when the NRA acts in ways that may seem peculiar to the membership, but they do so for good reasons that they can't discuss publicly.

The best example I can think of to illustrate that is the HELLER case before the Supreme Court.

During all the years I was on the board and for years before, the NRA fought to PREVENT any 2nd Amendments cases from reaching the Supreme Court, and we did so for the best of reasons...WE WOULD HAVE LOST!!!

NRA was waiting for the composition of the court to be favorable to a good decision, because we were only going to get one shot, and whatever they decided we'd be stuck with forever.

When the Heller case arrived at the court I'm sure the NRA felt we were not ready, but they had a choice to either back the case or explain why they opposed it...they took a chance...a DANGEROUS chance... and decided to go for it.

Do I have to remind anyone here that the Heller case was won on a 5-4 decision????

That's cutting things mighty close. Another ten years might have gotten us 7-2 or 8-1 or even a unanimous decision, one no future court would ever overturn.

If Obama wins and gets to appoint one or two more Supremes, HELLER & McDONALD will be in grave danger.

Having been on the board myself, I can tell you that there were times that I cast votes while I was holding my nose, but it was always in lesser-of-two-evils situations.

The NRA isn't perfect, but they're all we've got. Our default position should be to trust them.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    The NRA supported the Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid for re-election in 2010. Look what Reid has done to the country. How does one join the NRA if they support people like this?
    This might come as a shocker, but the NRA is a pro gun organization, so they prefer a [relatively] pro gun politician. All other politics should be ignored. He could be a gay satanic abortion doctor who loves obamacare. It's not important if he's the most viable pro gun person for the position.

Mike.B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Grant County
    I can tell you there are times when the NRA acts in ways that may seem peculiar to the membership, but they do so for good reasons that they can't discuss publicly.

This I find very disturbing. While I know the political system is very crooked and strange methods are normally used. It just doesn't give me a warm fuzzy when an organization that is in favor of a right I hold dear can't tell me why they did or did not do something. :twocents:

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Im gonna be honest. It sounds to me like some people have a little too much tin foil wrapped around their heads. We have a HUGE organization on OUR side. They may not do everyting the way you want it done, but they are no doubt doing everything they can to help protect our rights. How can people really complain about that? Just think about how many restrictions would probably have been passed if there wasnt the NRA to fight against them. I really dont understand how someone can bash an organization whos sole purpose is to help protect something we all obviously have a passion for.

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    The NRA has been something to avoid for a long time. It's become much too self-serving. The faster it goes away, the better for all gun owners. The NRA spends millions annually to kill other groups that form who truly do champion our gun rights. If the NRA disappeared tomorrow, these groups could thrive. Today's NRA is all about lining the pockets of its executive board.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Im gonna be honest. It sounds to me like some people have a little too much tin foil wrapped around their heads. We have a HUGE organization on OUR side. They may not do everyting the way you want it done, but they are no doubt doing everything they can to help protect our rights. How can people really complain about that? Just think about how many restrictions would probably have been passed if there wasnt the NRA to fight against them. I really dont understand how someone can bash an organization whos sole purpose is to help protect something we all obviously have a passion for.
    Life membership cost ~$1000 :n00b: I don't care if I make 300k a year, for $1000 I want to know what I'm getting out of it, but I understand your point

Top Bottom