• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    You make an excellent point. I would think that before cutting police/fire/emergency wages and jobs, perhaps the posters here should consider de-subsidizing so-called "private" industry. I bet there is hardly a poster in this thread whose wages don't come in some part from tax dollars

I know that much of my salary comes from Medicaid reimbursement. I would receive more from Medicare, however, as much as they continually deny claims, and not to mention that they suspend all reimbursement as they are currently doing; its almost as if the said reimbursement doesn't exist.

As much as my position cost taxpayers a large amount, my position also enables parents of critically ill and injured children, the ability to remain gainfully employed. Cuts too deep into government medical reimbursement, would result in profound and disastrous results, affecting both the micro- and macroeconomics of our economy.

3gunshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Williamsport
    I do not believe public safety should ever be cut i know a lot of them. The chiefs need to stop buying new squad cars every year that cost more than what they pay one of their guys a year. The same with schools they don't need multi million dollar gyms and football fields they all need to be a bit more responsible with our money and they would not have to get rid of these people. JMO

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I do not believe public safety should ever be cut i know a lot of them. The chiefs need to stop buying new squad cars every year that cost more than what they pay one of their guys a year. The same with schools they don't need multi million dollar gyms and football fields they all need to be a bit more responsible with our money and they would not have to get rid of these people. JMO
    Again, I can't speak for every Department, but, we kept our Squads well past the 100,000 mile mark.
    Anyone who knows the treatment that a Patrol Vehicle receives is aware that they are long past the "junk" stage by then. ;)
    Mike

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

That's the priority people have placed on their local governments. A school in my county tried borrowing $10 million because supposedly the building was literally falling apart. The doors were falling off hinges, the roof was shot, etc. Enough people got involved in a remonstrance and barely got it stopped. So the school went out and borrowed the max amount of money they could get to prevent another remonstrance. They spent nearly $400,000 redoing the gym floor and bleachers. They then bought 5 acres of land for $60,000. When asked if the land was going to be used for sports fields, the answer was probably.

We are where we are at the local level because of what the majority has prioritized. Anything the local government tries to cut, there is a group standing there complaining about their pet project being taken away.

Everybody wants services to be provided but yet don't want to pay for them. Again, governments threatening to cut teachers and police is nothing more than the liberal tactic of "What about the children".

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Again, I can't speak for every Department, but, we kept our Squads well past the 100,000 mile mark.
    Anyone who knows the treatment that a Patrol Vehicle receives is aware that they are long past the "junk" stage by then. ;)
    Mike

I turned in the '01 Crown Vic in my avatatar and it had 147,7xx miles on it. It was re-issued and when I talked to the officer that currently has it, he said its up to 175,xxx miles. I have personally seen IMPD cars with over 200,000 miles on them. Most money spent on cars by IMPD goes for repairs, not brand new ones.

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    I turned in the '01 Crown Vic in my avatatar and it had 147,7xx miles on it. It was re-issued and when I talked to the officer that currently has it, he said its up to 175,xxx miles. I have personally seen IMPD cars with over 200,000 miles on them. Most money spent on cars by IMPD goes for repairs, not brand new ones.

As I recall, a news report released not long ago reported upon safety concerns of higher mileage police cruisers.

I'm not able to find the report online. Is anyone else able to locate such?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    As I recall, a news report released not long ago reported upon safety concerns of higher mileage police cruisers.

I'm not able to find the report online. Is anyone else able to locate such?

I don't know about the report online, but I could find at least 100 street officers driving cars that are such pieces of **** that they are unsafe to drive, but they have to drive them because the department doesn't have anything else to give them.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    It shouldn't be any surprise that police cars are junk. Any te you pilut a person who has no ownership in a car, they are less likely to take care of it. It's that way with rental cars, fleet vehicles, etc.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    It shouldn't be any surprise that police cars are junk. Any te you pilut a person who has no ownership in a car, they are less likely to take care of it. It's that way with rental cars, fleet vehicles, etc.
    This is not true. These vehicles are generally very well taken care of by the drivers. It's the LEO's office...and no one wants to drive around in a crappy office. Granted...it's an office that by the nature of the job is driven hard.

But I'd challenge your personal vehicle to last as long as these do driven under the same circumstances. It would never last that long. Many LEOs put their own money into the vehicle to make it as comfortable as possible. Because they know they have to last a long time.

I've never seen a LEO treat the vehicle they drive like the piece of crap it generally is because they don't own it. Most of them take care of what they have control over because it's their home away from home.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Excuse me!!
    The Officers very lives depend on those cars!!
    We always treated the Squads assigned to us as though they were our personal cars.
    How in the Hell do you think that they last as long as they do???
    They became junk because the nature of Police Work is hard on cars.
    They go from casual patrol to high speed pursuit in mere seconds. They idle for extended periods of time at traffic accidents, house fires, and other situations that require the presence of an Officer for the duration.
    The very fact that they last as long as they do is a testament to the care that Officers put into their vehicles.
    BTW
    I invite you to ask an Officer to let you clean his assigned car for Quarterly Inspection.
    You'd learn the meaning of the word DETAIL!!
    Mike

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    This is not true. These vehicles are generally very well taken care of by the drivers. It's the LEO's office...and no one wants to drive around in a crappy office. Granted...it's an office that by the nature of the job is driven hard.

But I'd challenge your personal vehicle to last as long as these do driven under the same circumstances. It would never last that long. Many LEOs put their own money into the vehicle to make it as comfortable as possible. Because they know they have to last a long time.

I've never seen a LEO treat the vehicle they drive like the piece of crap it generally is because they don't own it. Most of them take care of what they have control over because it's their home away from home.
    Sorry P.S.
    It looks like we were composing posts at the same time. ;)
    Mike

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    We've got fleet trucks at work that have 20-30k on them that are ragged out but multiple people use them. It would make sense that squad cars are better kept for the fact that only 1 person drives them.

We have 3 wheeled bikes at work and they are always trashed because several people use the same bike. Most people will ride a bike until it breaks, push it into a corner and grab a different bike. I guess they think the bike ferry will come by to fix them. I've tried convincing management that our bikes would last 10 times longer if each person had their own bike as they'd alone be responsible for taking care of it.

When your squad breaks down, do you just take it to a garage and say fix it or how does that work? If I didn't have to worry about the repair bills, I'd have it in there for every issue.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

Excuse me!!
    The Officers very lives depend on those cars!!
    We always treated the Squads assigned to us as though they were our personal cars.
    How in the Hell do you think that they last as long as they do???
    They became junk because the nature of Police Work is hard on cars.
    They go from casual patrol to high speed pursuit in mere seconds. They idle for extended periods of time at traffic accidents, house fires, and other situations that require the presence of an Officer for the duration.
    The very fact that they last as long as they do is a testament to the care that Officers put into their vehicles.
    BTW
    I invite you to ask an Officer to let you clean his assigned car for Quarterly Inspection.
    You'd learn the meaning of the word DETAIL!!
    Mike

LOL, that's good stuff right there.

Are you guys typing next to eachother, comparing notes? :laugh:

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    When your squad breaks down, do you just take it to a garage and say fix it or how does that work? If I didn't have to worry about the repair bills, I'd have it in there for every issue.
    The garage is the last place you want to visit. You should see (or have to drive) the POS you get as a loaner. Most are just short of a death trap. And that's being generous.

These vehicles aren't any different than what I hear of military vehicles. They get fixed and fixed until they can't be fixed any more.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    The garage is the last place you want to visit. You should see (or have to drive) the POS you get as a loaner. Most are just short of a death trap. And that's being generous.

These vehicles aren't any different than what I hear of military vehicles. They get fixed and fixed until they can't be fixed any more.

Personally, I think they should make you guys take the hub caps off before you are allowed to take out your new cruisers. That would give them the real POLICE look:):

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

We treated our vehicles like babies, and we only had them for 8-12 hrs a day. Wanna get dumped on for a while? Crash a nice vehicle, get caught abusing it, leave trash in it. That car is your office, you spend as much or more time in it than you do in your home. Most folks tend to take care of them.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

IMPD has their own garage? In my small town, the county and town cops take their cars to the local car dealer.

Yes, the military fixes their vehicles into oblivian. I drove a hummer, a 5 ton and a Bradley. I swore that some of the preventative maintenance caused more harm than good. I'm sure you could break a hummer frame in 2 and they would strip it down and replace the frame.

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    We treated our vehicles like babies, and we only had them for 8-12 hrs a day. Wanna get dumped on for a while? Crash a nice vehicle, get caught abusing it, leave trash in it. That car is your office, you spend as much or more time in it than you do in your home. Most folks tend to take care of them.

I got the :noway: detail for two days, when my Captain thought that I was the individual that scraped the body of the cruiser down a yellow curb.

The officer that had actually done the damage, completed and filed an internal incident report that was misfiled by a department civilian clerk. My lesson was earned the hard way to scrupulously inspect every inch of the interior and exterior of any vehicle assigned, before accepting the same.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom