The Ladies, OC or CC experiences, opinions, ect.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    I know there is a 'Women and Firearms' portion, however I think this fits much better here. And here's why...

As a lady, I do find it a little strange to OC. I know that I have my own opinions on it, and I have twice now, but I'm curious about other men and women's opinions.

So, let the opinions fly, but do not turn this into another OC or CC debate.

In my two days out, I've been to extremely busy public places. (Walmart and Kroger, for the curious ones.) In my first day, I was marginally terrified. I wrote it all out here. Today, I was much more confident, but not arrogant, and it wasn't as a 'big deal'. Until the end, sort of,.. I got several more stares and funny looks, but that was expected.

Right as I was checking out, with my whole three things, a lady and her daughter walked by and made the statement, 'Whats a girl need a gun for?!' (Had she stopped, I would have told her...). I just smiled and finished checking out.

On my way out I got more looks again, but the weirdest bit was the four, way taller and broader than me, guys walked past me with two on each side. I was a little creeped out, but kept my wits. When they walked by, one of them said just loud enough, 'Ooooo. Look! Little girl has her gun.' I just kept walking, and decided not to let it bother me.

So here's the big picture, some of the guys I know don't like it that there girl wont OC. And I'm sure others feel the same way... but from my two days out, I'm not sure when I'll OC again because of the reactions. I understand that some of them are expected, but as a lady, I don't like the strange stares and remarks.

I'm a very outgoing and bubbly person, and I like to be around people. Around other guys who OC, I would have no problem (That may sound like a cop-out but it's not.). I like to be the approachable one, and generally women are the ones more apt to want to socialize.

Am I way off base with my opinions? Or am I just marginally biased because of my two (almost three, but that's for another day) experiences? Do the other ladies, and men, get the same reactions? If so, what are their responses?

And the reason I put it here is I want the men's opinions as well as the ladies. :D

Remember, NOT an OC/CC DEBATE!

I love my new ingo family. :)

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    On my way out I got more looks again, but the weirdest bit was the four, way taller and broader than me, guys walked past me with two on each side. I was a little creeped out, but kept my wits. When they walked by, one of them said just loud enough, 'Ooooo. Look! Little girl has her gun.' I just kept walking, and decided not to let it bother me.
    They were compensating for, er, what they were carrying concealed.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I would imagine that being a woman and OC'ing will get different reactions. You probably seem more approachable than the men who typically OC, and so you might get more smart comments like this.

Those people who feel obliged to comment or poke fun; they're not worth bothering with.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I've never had anybody comment on my OC, let alone editorialize about being a female. I've noticed some looks, and security was called at the Texas Roadhouse in Avon once, but he never said anything.

Some silly teenagers working at the KFC commented on my t-shirt one day. It's black with neon pink, green, and orange 1911s across the front. Something like, "Watch out, boys, she's got guns." They were clearly kidding, so I played along and said, "It's your lucky day, fellas, I left the real one at home." They got a kick out that, laughed, and took another draw on their smokes while waving at me as I went in to get our dinner.

But no comments. I never get comments. And I never get a Census visit. And the Obamatards never try to convert me with home visits just before election day. :( Ah, well, life is full of disappointments.

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    But no comments. I never get comments. And I never get a Census visit. And the Obamatards never try to convert me with home visits just before election day. :( Ah, well, life is full of disappointments.

They're always at my house. Want to trade? :D

Tebow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Whiting, IN
    Never seen any ladies OCing, don't even know if I've been around one CCing. Personally, I'd like to see more people in general OCing. It gives us opportunities to educate the curious ones and it shows that we won't be victims.

And on behalf of all guys, I apologize for the ones who make smart**s comments about women and guns.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Never seen any ladies OCing, don't even know if I've been around one CCing. Personally, I'd like to see more people in general OCing. It gives us opportunities to educate the curious ones and it shows that we won't be victims.

And on behalf of all guys, I apologize for the ones who make smart**s comments about women and guns.

Ditto. People are dumb. I find that my day generally proceeds much more smoothly if I go into with the mindset that I'm going to ignore them. That might make me a bad person.....

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I have similar afflictions with my wife. She prefers to OC, which in itself I do not mind at all. I OC mostly as well and find it sparks great opportunities to educate other citizens when they inquire. On the other hand, I notice the stares that my wife receives when OC'ing when she doesn't. THAT is my concern. If you wish to OC, you should certainly be vigilant and aware of everyone/thing within your vicinity. My wife has a "tunnel visioned" attention span typical of a lot of Americans and that is what concerns me. If a situation was to rise your survival is largely going to depend on your ability to forsee it and react accordingly (situational awareness.) A guy can still perceive even a woman who's carrying as an easy target and even possibly more inviting with the added challenge/reward of the sidearm. That is why I also advocate that ANY women who seeks to carry should NEVER stop their training at going to ranges. Self-defense should be covered in ALL angles (360 degree defense). Realistically, a confrontation requiring use of a sidearm is going to be well within the 21 foot rule, otherwise you could turn and run for most circumstances. For that reason, it is COMLETELY NECESSARY that women, especially one's who OC, seek appropriate training for hand to hand. Not just force on force, but a realistic hand to hand defensive training. Skills in hand to hand, knife, and sidearm are all necessities and should not be lacking in training for any of them.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I've never had anybody comment on my OC, let alone editorialize about being a female. I've noticed some looks, and security was called at the Texas Roadhouse in Avon once, but he never said anything.

Some silly teenagers working at the KFC commented on my t-shirt one day. It's black with neon pink, green, and orange 1911s across the front. Something like, "Watch out, boys, she's got guns." They were clearly kidding, so I played along and said, "It's your lucky day, fellas, I left the real one at home." They got a kick out that, laughed, and took another draw on their smokes while waving at me as I went in to get our dinner.

Huh, My wife and I both OC at that Texas Roadhouse often and never had an issue

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    If you want to see some strange stares and remarks, just try wearing Vibram FiveFingers out in public. :D

I've never OCed, but I would like to (for activism reasons) once I get a full-size pistol. My little Walther PPS is not something I want to 'show off'. I also look very young for my age and don't want to be harassed because I look like some kid with a gun. I always have a hard time at bars...

So I guess I'm in the 'avoid strange stares and remarks' group. There does come a time when you just have to stop caring about how others judge you, because if they're that put-off by a gun you wouldn't want to know them anyway.

Your bad experiences might be because you don't fit the 'person who carries a gun' stereotype, which isn't a bad thing if you're CCing. I think there's nothing wrong with anyone OCing, no matter what sex you are.

Some people are just hoplophobes, though.

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    A guy can still perceive even a woman who's carrying as an easy target and even possibly more inviting with the added challenge/reward of the sidearm.

With this statement this will probably turn into the OC/CC debate... ah well...

I'm not sure how much I want to OC now, based on that statement. Plus, I'm not sure how well it fits with my personality type. Seriously. I'm okay with it, and I'm confident, but it's a perception thing for me.

I've had good experiences, seriously. And I've been around it with people who've had nothing 'bad' happen. But I'm still 'on the fence'.

I think for me it's going to be finding that balance...

And, the1kid03, I'm all for continual training. :)

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere

I'm not sure how much I want to OC now, based on that statement. Plus, I'm not sure how well it fits with my personality type. Seriously. I'm okay with it, and I'm confident, but it's a perception thing for me.

I've had good experiences, seriously. And I've been around it with people who've had nothing 'bad' happen. But I'm still 'on the fence'.

Don't let that statement discourage you. Even though SOME, by which I mean very few, criminals who would see this as a challenge...not many of them are willing to stake their life on it. Majority of criminals are opportunists. They see what they think is an easy target and they do not see any immediate threat to themselves (getting caught, or a weapon). While it is POSSIBLE, it's not very LIKELY. When I teach/practice hand to hand stuff with my wife at the gym many women also like to watch and end up confronting us about teaching them once they see my wife put me on my back so easily. I've got no problem teaching others but simply finding a place to do it is not easy. Gyms won't allow it unless they are making money on it or at all. Anyhow, I fully encourage you to OC when you feel comfortable and the only way to do that is to do it. But it's also important to seek out adequate self-defense training to compensate where range time will fall short for real life.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I OC about 90%, while my wife tends to chuck her sidearm in her purse, however when she does OC I think it's had more of a positive effect then negative.

She's had some good interactions with people that started out as the "Why does a girl need to carry a gun?" question. She stops and answers "Because there are men who think they don't need to" :): It usually goes on to protecting oneself and others and how people in general don't care about each other the way they used to.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    I OC about 90%, while my wife tends to chuck her sidearm in her purse, however when she does OC I think it's had more of a positive effect then negative.

She's had some good interactions with people that started out as the "Why does a girl need to carry a gun?" question. She stops and answers "Because there are men who think they don't need to" :): It usually goes on to protecting oneself and others and how people in general don't care about each other the way they used to.

Same situation with me. I OC most of the time, my gf CC's. Her friends will ask why and she will tell the, because there are people out there that want to harm you. My gf is tiny and the firearm just makes the playing field a little more even.

As to your bad experience OCing, it will take a few weeks to get past all of the stares, I hardly notice them anymore, what I do notice is people that would never hold a door open for me and say "here you go sir" before, will rush to do it now. That isn't the reason I OC but it does happen 100% more than when I CC. I have had several conversations with people about carrying and they have all been positive. The only thing you need to tell people when they ask why you feel the need to carry is" have you seen the news lately " if they don't feel the need to carry that is their own choosing and they will end up like this man:Dallas Watts Beaten By 6 Youths in Toledo, OH Allegedly Because He’s White | Video | TheBlaze.com
    he was against guns until AFTER he needed one.

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county

Just for the record, i prefer to CC...i have OC'ed....and may again if it is an event such as the Starbucks thing.
    But i tend to get annoyed with stupid people that make stupid comments such as the four dumb*sses you encountered.
    People like that need to keep their comments to themselves.
    So dont feel like your in the wrong or the only one who doesnt really want to OC.

You go girl! :D

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Women's fashions being what they are, OC makes sense.

Women's curves being what they are makes finding a place to CC in comfort difficult.

I would hazard a guess that not many women police officers get mugged or raped while OC'ing.

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    ... People like that need to keep their comments to themselves.
    So dont feel like your in the wrong or the only one who doesnt really want to OC.

You go girl! :D

Thanks dear, I'm just starting to reevaluate and consider things. My family is completely against OC, for their own reasons, and other than my two or three friends on the better side of the river that's all I've got.

My personality doesn't like to be the center of attention, as much as some may disagree. When I think it's important I will push all the right buttons to make it so, but I don't like that all the time. :/ I may be loud and outgoing, and I don't want to lose that when I OC...

Guess it takes time.

Women's fashions being what they are, OC makes sense. Women's curves being what they are makes finding a place to CC in comfort difficult.

Only time I dress 'like a woman' is when I'm going to church. And even then it's pushing it. Jeanskirt, button up shirt or a pullover v-neck. I've got no probablem CCing. It'd be an adjustment once I get my license, to perfect it a little more, but as of now, I don't see it being a problem. Although, you're right... Some women I have no idea how they would be able to CC.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom