The Ladies, OC or CC experiences, opinions, ect.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    Haha, now all you have to do is await all the creepy guys hitting on you.

I figured it'd be an interesting turn to my morning. I've already made cupcakes and a cake, laundry and other miscellaneous cleaning. Oh my goodness, I'm turning into the woman in the kitchen! NOOOOOOO!

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Heck, I always wear a western hat when I go out just because I always have having been raised in the country where we bred horses and rode a lot. Even today I get stares and I'm a man in my 50's. Occasionally I'll even hear a "cowboy" comment from some wet-behind-the-ears kid. In this supposedly "diverse-loving" culture, people are more narrow-minded than ever. Don't let comments bother you. I learned a long time ago that people will comment on or make fun of anything different. But it is funny how you can wear pink and green hair and have more holes and metal in your face than a target at shooting range but no one comments on that. Try wearing something more traditional like a hat or a gun and people gawk and laugh. It's a bizarre world out there, isn't it?

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Heck, I always wear a western hat when I go out just because I always have having been raised in the country where we bred horses and rode a lot. Even today I get stares and I'm a man in my 50's. Occasionally I'll even hear a "cowboy" comment from some wet-behind-the-ears kid. In this supposedly "diverse-loving" culture, people are more narrow-minded than ever. Don't let comments bother you. I learned a long time ago that people will comment on or make fun of anything different. But it is funny how you can wear pink and green hair and have more holes and metal in your face than a target at shooting range but no one comments on that. Try wearing something more traditional like a hat or a gun and people gawk and laugh. It's a bizarre world out there, isn't it?

Certainly is. Why is the hardware strapped to our hips so much stranger than what most people wear stuck through various new holes in their heads?

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    well....

I'd say the things said to you were certainly different than what people say to me...I'm not a girl nor am I little, however it's what can happen when you OC. :dunno:

I have a question for you in response. Other than the comments that you didn't like, did OC'ing provide you with a positive overall experience? :popcorn:

A thought I immediately had when you said those guys made that comment was, "hahahahahah, they won't be messing with her, they may joke around but they'll NEVER cross the line, they know she's packin' and because she's clearly not trying to hide it, they know better than to do anything more than make a passing comment." :draw:

I would say OC intermittently when you have time to spare to deal with morons, that way you can stop that lady and tell her that when she leaves the store and there's a 6'2" 210lb guy outside waiting to mug her and kidnap her child she'd do well to be as prepared as you are. OR you could just say "chance favors the prepared" and move on. :runaway:

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Well, one thing is for certain. If more women OC'ed, there would probably fewer female names in the "statistics" column of the newspapers each week. I prefer to CC myself, but have OC'ed a few times in public. I would say to all those people who cannot mind their own business and keep their stupid comments to themselves about us who carry, BITE ME.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Well, one thing is for certain. If more women OC'ed, there would probably fewer female names in the "statistics" column of the newspapers each week. I prefer to CC myself, but have OC'ed a few times in public. I would say to all those people who cannot mind their own business and keep their stupid comments to themselves about us who carry, BITE ME.

I thought that's why you carried a gun; so people WOULDN'T bite you? :dunno:

Regardless, yes, I agree; if they feel that they are so important that they must interject themselves into your life while you are going about your business, you can pretty well ignore them and let them rot on their own.

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    I have a question for you in response. Other than the comments that you didn't like, did OC'ing provide you with a positive overall experience? :popcorn:

A relatively positive experience, but I'm not sure it's something I'll repeat each time I go out.

Tonight I did when we went out to eat, just because I knew sitting down it wouldn't be a huge issue, I felt much more comfortable... although the guys we were with made a few comments, whatever. I did get a few points and stares when my best friend and I went to the bathroom (Yes, we travel in packs :D)

I'm still baby-stepping it, and I know that a lot of it has to do with the mentality of how I was raised and not being around them. Plus, outside opinions from people I really trust (read: honestly trust with my life) do give me insight to how I am perceived.

A thought I immediately had when you said those guys made that comment was, "hahahahahah, they won't be messing with her, they may joke around but they'll NEVER cross the line, they know she's packin' and because she's clearly not trying to hide it, they know better than to do anything more than make a passing comment." :draw:

I'd hope that would be how that would go down. You know? I still think the 'secret' or 'surprise' of not knowing would benefit me more...

I thought that's why you carried a gun; so people WOULDN'T bite you? :dunno:

Wait?! Can I still bite people? It's kinda my trademark ... when upsetted :whistle:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Huh, My wife and I both OC at that Texas Roadhouse often and never had an issue

Kind of a funny story, if catielynnb will permit the tangent.

We were sitting in one of the booths in the bar section. It just so happens that we were sitting in the one farthest to the rear of the section closest to the kitchen, if you can picture that. It's the first booth you walk by (on your left) when you're being seated, it's just got the high wall separating it from the entrance lobby of the restaurant. The only reason anybody would come walking towards us is to go to that booth. The aisle ends there and there's no other place to go. This is pertinent.

I'm facing the wall with my back to the restaurant which places my EDC in view of everybody at the bar.

We watched security come from the hostess station, pass our booth on the other side of wall. Mr88GT then watched him turn the corner into the bar section and start walking towards our booth. He got to a distance about four feet behind me, stopped, turned around, and walked off. Never said a word to me, and nothing else happened the rest of the night. Mr88GT said he was looking at me the whole time he was walking my way. But of course, my back was too him (and contrary to what I tell my kids, I don't have eyes in the back of my head).

We think someone tattled and he was simply checking to verify that it was on the up and up. There's not much about me that screams thug or imminent criminal, and a Kimber in a nice leather holster doesn't exactly fit the profile of a criminal either, so I think he recognized it for what it was and left us alone.

ItIsWhatItIs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    I prefer CC for the same reasons you're bringing up - it gets comments and attention i prefer not to have. i prefer knowing i have the advantage, and not letting anyone else know! if i CC, nobody knows but me, and i can choose to engage or be an "expert witness." if i OC and something goes down, i would be immediately singled out. i like my odds on the sideline much better.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I prefer CC for the same reasons you're bringing up - it gets comments and attention i prefer not to have. i prefer knowing i have the advantage, and not letting anyone else know! if i CC, nobody knows but me, and i can choose to engage or be an "expert witness." if i OC and something goes down, i would be immediately singled out. i like my odds on the sideline much better.

I'm not following this.

Are you saying you'd be singled out for nefarious purposes (as in blamed or held responsible) for nothing more than OCing?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Over the last year or so, I've frequently open carried at work, but not much else.
    That is...until I got the holster I'm currently using. It's an IWB and I really like it.
    Anyhow, I never got any negative comments about it being open except for an old timer having a fit because the hammer was back (I carry a 1911 cocked and locked).
    After a few really weird recent incidents, I've decided I like to conceal better than OC. If I ever have need of it, I want it to be a surprise to everyone but me.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Two weeks ago I walked into Gas America on Washington and Post and seen a lady OCing. She had a IWB holster but had her gun hanging out. It was rush hour in there and everybody stared and had a comment to say about her having a gun out like that. She turned more heads with her gun hanging out then she did with her good looks and very rivealing outfit choice. It amazes me how people get so nervous when they see a gun. I OC occasionally and get stared at and listen to people wisper comments. For every person that is out in public OCing there is probably 10 that are CCing. When will the gerenal public not be scared of law abiding citizens carrying a gun?

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    I'm not following this.

Are you saying you'd be singled out for nefarious purposes (as in blamed or held responsible) for nothing more than OCing?

I didn't get it either. I think I missed it, the point, somewhere...

Over the last year or so, I've frequently open carried at work, but not much else.
    That is...until I got the holster I'm currently using. It's an IWB and I really like it.
    Anyhow, I never got any negative comments about it being open except for an old timer having a fit because the hammer was back (I carry a 1911 cocked and locked).
    After a few really weird recent incidents, I've decided I like to conceal better than OC. If I ever have need of it, I want it to be a surprise to everyone but me.

Where do you work that you can OC all day? :) Unless it's super top-secret and can't be talked about. ;)
    I think it really is different for the girls, just because we're not the ones expected to have it out and about... or 'shown off'

... She turned more heads with her gun hanging out then she did with her good looks and very revealing outfit choice. It amazes me how people get so nervous when they see a gun...

That's exactly what I don't want. I'd rather it be a surprise, or them looking at me, not my gun. I have to much else to deal with, in the area of personality quirks, for someone to overly focus on the gun I'm carrying. Plus, I prefer it when people pay attention to me, as in my face, and not other things... I mean, I'm not the prettiest girl around but seriously...

When will the general public not be scared of law abiding citizens carrying a gun?

Never? At least not in the near future the way I see it. :dunno:

Top Bottom