jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Sounds better than unemployment, yeah.

So ****can our principles so that the moonbeams don't alinsky a whole state? Why are the moonbeams so willing to utterly ruin those who won't conform the their ideals? I think for the sanity of the future someone needs to stand up to mass shaming. It's time to tell them to **** off.

Lowe0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Indianapolis
    So ****can our principles so that the moonbeams don't alinsky a whole state? Why are the moonbeams so willing to utterly ruin those who won't conform the their ideals? I think for the sanity of the future someone needs to stand up to mass shaming. It's time to tell them to **** off.

Knock yourself out. Meantime, I have a mortgage to pay.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Knock yourself out. Meantime, I have a mortgage to pay.

I understand. Probably you'd be more motivated if they were mob-shaming people for doing something you support. I just want to end mob-shaming as a tactic. It's an artifact of a society that values mob rule. Maybe it's generational.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...89972a-114d-11e6-81b4-581a5c4c42df_story.html

For the poor in the Ivy League, a full ride isn’t always what they imagined

Here at Columbia University, money pressures lead many to cut corners on textbook purchases and skip city excursions routine for affluent classmates.
    And your point is?

Among them, she said, are the cost of living during breaks and the cost of “keeping up with the Joneses” — students whose wealth is evident on the first day they move into dorms.
    Well, they can't "keep up with the Joneses". Is this news?
    That's one of the friggin problems is everyone thinks they can, and that the problem is new.
    They've been singing that song for years. It's NOT NEW. It's LIFE.

“It’s kind of gross to live off peanut butter and jelly for a week,” he said.
    Oh gee. My heart bleeds for your story.
    In the civilian world there are many people that live on peanut butter and jelly for a while. Especially when they are starting out. And they don't get to go to a prestigious university.
    And do we even need to go over what some of the military people have to go through?

Another student told Mercer of the shame he felt riding a crosstown bus to fill out paperwork for government food-stamp assistance
    Why?
    Are we supposed to magically transport money to people in need now?
    Isn't the government known for paperwork?

“These low-income students do not feel attended to.”
    GOOD.
    Then maybe they'll realize, it's a rough world out there, and their best chance is to NOT rely on others to make their situation better.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...89972a-114d-11e6-81b4-581a5c4c42df_story.html

For the poor in the Ivy League, a full ride isn’t always what they imagined

Here at Columbia University, money pressures lead many to cut corners on textbook purchases and skip city excursions routine for affluent classmates.
    And your point is?

Among them, she said, are the cost of living during breaks and the cost of “keeping up with the Joneses” — students whose wealth is evident on the first day they move into dorms.
    Well, they can't "keep up with the Joneses". Is this news?
    That's one of the friggin problems is everyone thinks they can, and that the problem is new.
    They've been singing that song for years. It's NOT NEW. It's LIFE.

“It’s kind of gross to live off peanut butter and jelly for a week,” he said.
    Oh gee. My heart bleeds for your story.
    In the civilian world there are many people that live on peanut butter and jelly for a while. Especially when they are starting out. And they don't get to go to a prestigious university.
    And do we even need to go over what some of the military people have to go through?

Another student told Mercer of the shame he felt riding a crosstown bus to fill out paperwork for government food-stamp assistance
    Why?
    Are we supposed to magically transport money to people in need now?
    Isn't the government known for paperwork?

“These low-income students do not feel attended to.”
    GOOD.
    Then maybe they'll realize, it's a rough world out there, and their best chance is to NOT rely on others to make their situation better.

What struck me from the start of the article, Lorenzo, the first person in his family to attend an Ivy League school, something that few people really ever get to do, is given the gift of a full ride scholarship. So what does he do with this rare gift? American Studies? WTF? I think we have enough overly educated baristas.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom