Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm just thankful that most women are not so self-centered that they would participate in a temper tantrum known as "A Day Withot a Woman". Those who would...that tells us everything we need to know about them.

Of course, that this movement would embrace a Palestinian terrorist is both revealing, and unsurprising.

Trump should tweet. "We all support women. Everyone knows, I love women. My supporters should attend to support the women."

Then when the news gloats about the large crowds, Trump can say those are his people.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Kinda looks like the sister of the Evil Emperor in Star Wars.

rasmeayousefodeh.jpg

View attachment 53414

Who wore it better?

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    "Trump supporters are violent" - says the people allegedly being organized by a convicted terrorist
    "Trump is a Russian puppet" - says the people trying to bring about a political realignment to Communism, all while praising Stalin's ideological fellows
    "Trump hates women" - says the people being lead by someone in favor of Sharia law
    "Trump wants to stop free speech" - coming from the people who riot to prevent opinions they disagree with being heard, and celebrating the assault of anyone who disagrees with them
    "Trump is a liar" - says the media undertaking yellow journalism against him
    "The Russians interfered in our election" - says the party with no evidence provided of vote tampering, the very same party who is on record as having interfered in the elections of other countries

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I'd much rather constitutional carry make it further than this bill. A crime is a crime. To make it an extraspecial crime because it is against special classes of people, to me, makes no sense. You've either harmed someone or you haven't. It doesn't really matter why. Having such a thing as "hate crimes" doesn't make people hate any less. If the crime was most heinous, give them the maximum sentence.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Seriously, why are people offended by "you people"? Why is that any different than saying "you all", or "y'all"? Or, "you guys". Or "you'ns". I mean geez. He didn't say "your kind".

Which people? You people. You know, the people who are HBCU presidents. :rolleyes:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Seriously, why are people offended by "you people"? Why is that any different than saying "you all", or "y'all"? Or, "you guys". Or "you'ns". I mean geez. He didn't say "your kind".

Which people? You people. You know, the people who are HBCU presidents. :rolleyes:

That brother is a mystery....I have no clue how or when that became offensive and I do not believe it is...

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That brother is a mystery....I have no clue how or when that became offensive and I do not believe it is...

It may be legitimately offensive to some people. Some things are culturally offensive. Maybe "you people" is. But that doesn't mean every use of "you people" has an offensive meaning. I say "you people" all the time. It's synonymous with "you all". I'm not separating anyone into social classes when I do that. That's just nonsense.

So we can go about this social interaction thing in two ways. We can project all our cultural triggers onto everyone else, and just assume the onus is on them not to offend us. And then be offended when they do. Or, maybe it's better not to project our cultural triggers onto everyone else. Maybe it's better to assume, "you people" literally means the people that the speaker is currently addressing.

This fits into something that I learned just today which especially triggers me. In my cultural diversity training I learned that it's forbidden to mention hanging as an expression. Not because it's not nice to wish anyone should be hanged. Apparently it offends people of color, regardless of context. So, for example, you can't say the sentiment I heard a lot--even from people of color--when I worked in a union shop 30 years ago. "Management? hang them all and be done with it." Now honestly. What person, of color or not, would take that as a racial statement? And if they do, they're obviously projecting their own cultural triggers regardless of context.

Now let's take a look at the second way. Isn't it just so much easier to navigate the social world when you don't first assume that everyone who says anything that might possibly offend you, (rhetorically "you") knows the entire list of 0 to n things that offends you? What if, you weren't offended by everything? What if you didn't assume the worst? What if you assumed that I'm probably speaking within my own cultural experience, and allow me the same latitude to do so, that you would like to enjoy. Should I take offense when I'm having dinner with a person of color and they ask me to pass them the crackers?

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Speaking of which...
    Many of the schools my wife subs for now prohibit playing "hangman." Apparently encourages suicide. I guess I didn't realize how close to the edge I was back in grade school.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    It may be legitimately offensive to some people. Some things are culturally offensive. Maybe "you people" is. But that doesn't mean every use of "you people" has an offensive meaning. I say "you people" all the time. It's synonymous with "you all". I'm not separating anyone into social classes when I do that. That's just nonsense.

So we can go about this social interaction thing in two ways. We can project all our cultural triggers onto everyone else, and just assume the onus is on them not to offend us. And then be offended when they do. Or, maybe it's better not to project our cultural triggers onto everyone else. Maybe it's better to assume, "you people" literally means the people that the speaker is currently addressing.

This fits into something that I learned just today which especially triggers me. In my cultural diversity training I learned that it's forbidden to mention hanging as an expression. Not because it's not nice to wish anyone should be hanged. Apparently it offends people of color, regardless of context. So, for example, you can't say the sentiment I heard a lot--even from people of color--when I worked in a union shop 30 years ago. "Management? hang them all and be done with it." Now honestly. What person, of color or not, would take that as a racial statement? And if they do, they're obviously projecting their own cultural triggers regardless of context.

Now let's take a look at the second way. Isn't it just so much easier to navigate the social world when you don't first assume that everyone who says anything that might possibly offend you, (rhetorically "you") knows the entire list of 0 to n things that offends you? What if, you weren't offended by everything? What if you didn't assume the worst? What if you assumed that I'm probably speaking within my own cultural experience, and allow me the same latitude to do so, that you would like to enjoy. Should I take offense when I'm having dinner with a person of color and they ask me to pass them the crackers?

Excellent analysis, jamil. I would add that many are waiting, looking, dare I say, praying for someone to say something that they can construe as being offensive to them just so they can be offended.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom