neanderthal_evolution_meme.jpg

qis2fxad9ne01.jpg

5b8.jpg

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    And you are stereotyping "hehehehe"? What are you suggesting? Women cannot have a full throated "HA HA HA"? Are you suggesting male and females are different and cannot share a common laugh? By chance, are you gender paranoid?

Do you tip male waiters?

:D

I politely defer. Printcraft I think enjoys giving a tip to male waiters.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Good... Race should have nothing to do with admissions.

U.S. official: Trump to rescind Obama-era guidance that called for schools to consider race in admissions.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Good... Race should have nothing to do with admissions.

U.S. official: Trump to rescind Obama-era guidance that called for schools to consider race in admissions.

First, a disclaimer. I do not agree with affirmative action, where a inferior student bumps a superior student because of that of the inferior student's background.

But, a lot of cases (that are affirmative action) take in consideration background, when the candidates are equally qualified, but there isn't enough positions. If a school has a 99.9% white enrollment, and two students; one white, one black apply with essentially the same admissions profile, do you flip a coin to see who gets in, or do you diversify the student body?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    First, a disclaimer. I do not agree with affirmative action, where a inferior student bumps a superior student because of that of the inferior student's background.

But, a lot of cases (that are affirmative action) take in consideration background, when the candidates are equally qualified, but there isn't enough positions. If a school has a 99.9% white enrollment, and two students; one white, one black apply with essentially the same admissions profile, do you flip a coin to see who gets in, or do you diversify the student body?

Having grown up through all of this I am of the notion that you will be very hard pressed to find any student body that is 99.9% anything anymore. Just not going to happen unless you look at the mostly Black colleges. If there are even any of those left that are not diverse now. It is time to let all of this diversity crap go.
    Go with the proper candidate that fits the opening. Race/culture should have "ZERO" to do with any of this. None. NADA.

Do the work. Get the grades. Fill the openings. If your grades wont open this door look for another door. One will open for you. JMHO as to how things are working these days.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Having grown up through all of this I am of the notion that you will be very hard pressed to find any student body that is 99.9% anything anymore. Just not going to happen unless you look at the mostly Black colleges. If there are even any of those left that are not diverse now. It is time to let all of this diversity crap go.
    Go with the proper candidate that fits the opening. Race/culture should have "ZERO" to do with any of this. None. NADA.

Do the work. Get the grades. Fill the openings. If your grades wont open this door look for another door. One will open for you. JMHO as to how things are working these days.

You'll be surprised to learn that many HBCUs have more non-black students, the other way around. In fact there is even one with a non-black majority. The example I provided was hyperbolic to to at least discover a baseline. If you say all things being equal (concerning the students), that a school that is 99% white, should flip a coin in determining if the admission if, say, one of the applicants was outside the majority of the student body's traditional profile, then that puts a rest to the issue. But, if you find distasteful the addition of an equally qualified student to diversify a student body, then one can't help but ask what you think of subpar, students who are admitted based on being legacies, children of donors, or foreign students. Those take up quite few spots. You can bet that a 3.4 legacy, is going to bump a 3.5 non-legacy every time.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You'll be surprised to learn that many HBCUs have more non-black students, the other way around. In fact there is even one with a non-black majority. The example I provided was hyperbolic to to at least discover a baseline. If you say all things being equal (concerning the students), that a school that is 99% white, should flip a coin in determining if the admission if, say, one of the applicants was outside the majority of the student body's traditional profile, then that puts a rest to the issue. But, if you find distasteful the addition of an equally qualified student to diversify a student body, then one can't help but ask what you think of subpar, students who are admitted based on being legacies, children of donors, or foreign students. Those take up quite few spots. You can bet that a 3.4 legacy, is going to bump a 3.5 non-legacy every time.

I do not find it distasteful. I think forcibly diversifying is wrong in its premise. I have known more than a few folks that lost out on jobs due to this very thing by lesser candidates that were........well, gender/culture specific to a quota. My feelings/opinions on this are just from lifes experiences. I think you know I have skin in this game.
    Legacy is something that will be in place forever. Always follow the money. Always.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    As on many things, I have mixed emotions about this. I think a person should be given credit for overcoming a more difficult environment. A kid, regardless of color, who hits 3.4 coming from the burbs where they got car pooled to school and a kid who hits the same number coming from a downtrodden area aren't the same. How does one put a measure on that? I'm not sure.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I do not find it distasteful. I think forcibly diversifying is wrong in its premise. I have known more than a few folks that lost out on jobs due to this very thing by lesser candidates that were........well, gender/culture specific to a quota. My feelings/opinions on this are just from lifes experiences. I think you know I have skin in this game.
    Legacy is something that will be in place forever. Always follow the money. Always.

I am not talking about lesser candidates. I'm talking about equally qualified candidates, that some would say are are underrepresented. I have the opinion that if there are 99 of something that can do something, and one of something else, that can also do the job. Do you give a nod to the "something else" or leaving if with the "something" that is like the other 99?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As on many things, I have mixed emotions about this. I think a person should be given credit for overcoming a more difficult environment. A kid, regardless of color, who hits 3.4 coming from the burbs where they got car pooled to school and a kid who hits the same number coming from a downtrodden area aren't the same. How does one put a measure on that? I'm not sure.

Good points. I see all sides. We all want a level field to play on but we can not falsely generate one.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

There's that too. Is a 4.0 student from Carmel HS who lives in 500K house, no job, and drives a Beemer to school... more qualified than the 3.5 IPS kid, who has 5 siblings, works at Mcdonalds 3 days a week, and walks to school each day, careful not to get caught up in the neighborhood? "Qualified" is so subjective.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    There's that too. Is a 4.0 student from Carmel HS who lives in 500K house, no job, and drives a Beemer to school... more qualified than the 3.5 IPS kid, who has 5 siblings, works at Mcdonalds 3 days a week, and walks to school each day, careful not to get caught up in the neighborhood? "Qualified" is so subjective.
    This is what I struggle with. Who is more prepared to overcome adversity? Who is more likely to give up at the first hint of a challenge? I don't have any hard and fast answers but we need to figure out how to reward those who overcome their situations.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom