Indianapolis
    D6scpnbW4AA0aG2.jpg:small

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So a double intersectional advantage. They get the affirmative action advantage in admissions, and now they'll get their SAT score bumped.

Indeed.

...but I have no intention of curtailing my strategy of providing my kids with an "unfair" advantage by doing such unjust things as being married to their mother, providing well for them, living in a safe area and making sure they are well educated.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Indeed.

...but I have no intention of curtailing my strategy of providing my kids with an "unfair" advantage by doing such unjust things as being married to their mother, providing well for them, living in a safe area and making sure they are well educated.
    My god. What kind of monster are you

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Prepare for the inevitable increase in dropout rate.
    Uh, not really.

Schools are going out of their way to find funding to keep folks in programs, regardless of their performance. They will get them graduated.

What do you call someone who graduates from med school at the bottom of their class?
    Doctor

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Uh, not really.

Schools are going out of their way to find funding to keep folks in programs, regardless of their performance. They will get them graduated.

What do you call someone who graduates from med school at the bottom of their class?
    Doctor

The 4 and 6 year graduation rates are abysmal. Clearly, the colleges are not "making sure" students graduate.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...-graduation-rate-is-even-lower-than-you-think

Including all students, only 45% of those who entered college in 2008 obtained a degree by 2016- 8 years. 2 year institutions only graduate 42% in 8 years.

BTW, last Saturday, my son graduated with a B.S. in Information Systems in only 3 years. He starts his new job in Petersburg, KY on Monday.

Ben.png

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I worry about diversity infecting engineering, and about all the future Kelly Johnsons going to Wall Street to be quants

I don't think there's a problem with promoting diversity. People should have the opportunity to pursue their endeavors to the extent of their abilities. So, people shouldn't be excluded just because of immutable characteristics which have nothing to do with their abilities otherwise. For example, I think it would be great to have more women in Engineering. But not just for the sake of having more women. What's more important is that they're pursuing what they want to do. Not having diversity in Engineering isn't evidence that there's a great male patriarchy keeping them out. I think that was once true, but I don't think it's very true any more. I strongly suspect that if everyone were fully, socially free, to pursue the work that is most fulfilling, we would see more diversity in Engineering. But we wouldn't see 50/50 men and women. It's unlikely we'll see 50/50 in nursing. Or even teaching.

The problem is when they try to force diversity to match the proportional population. That's insane. But it's coming if trends continue.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    The 4 and 6 year graduation rates are abysmal. Clearly, the colleges are not "making sure" students graduate.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...-graduation-rate-is-even-lower-than-you-think

Including all students, only 45% of those who entered college in 2008 obtained a degree by 2016- 8 years. 2 year institutions only graduate 42% in 8 years.

BTW, last Saturday, my son graduated with a B.S. in Information Systems in only 3 years. He starts his new job in Petersburg, KY on Monday.

Ben.png

Congratulations mom and dad! Well done!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Indeed.

Kids can't ask for more than that.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

Ben.png

Great Job Dad! :yesway:

Hey, where did your son get his fro from?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom