• Status
    Not open for further replies.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I need INGO’s help with a cultural collision. Denver progressive bubble vs Midwest individualism. My wife, during a conversation with her sister who lives in Denver, addressed her as “you people”, referring to Democrats. Well, that really triggered her. I mean, like in the most “Denver” progressive educated/elitist class accent, she says, “Really? I can’t believe you ****ing said that right now.”

Okay. I try to keep up with cultural differences So what is socially wrong with “you people”? I honestly don’t get that. It must mean something WAY different out there than it does in Indiana. Here, saying “you people” is the social equivalent to saying ”you guys” (except it’s gender neutral), or in the South, “y’all”. It’s just a way to refer to the people you’re addressing.

Any ideas? The **** does “you people” mean out there in bat****opia?
    Political group wants to define everyone by a neat moniker and pigeonhole them.

Complains when someone does it to them.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I’ve known for a couple of years or so that she has a problem with it. I’ve said it to her before. I said something like, “you people ready for dinner yet?” And all she said was “You people?” I didn’t think anything of it. Then my wife said she kinda went ape**** on her for saying it recently. So I suspect it’s a socially banned phrase where she lives.

This kinda makes sense for why it’s not PC. I think I might dare go there next time we visit.
    Doin' some Googlin', and evidently there are enough folks in the world being "triggered" for the phrase "You People" to be a problem:
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=You People
    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/you_people

I never would have guessed. Then again, there are likely only about 5 things in the whole world that I actually find offensive.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Doin' some Googlin', and evidently there are enough folks in the world being "triggered" for the phrase "You People" to be a problem:

I never would have guessed. Then again, there are likely only about 5 things in the whole world that I actually find offensive.

I'm fairly certain that most denizens of the interwebs have seen this meme...

2hwflx.jpg

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Dude! Really?

I KNOW I would!!!:draw::stickpoke::p:boxing:

I'm thinking about being the stereotype of what she thinks I am. I think she's coming to visit us sometime this summer. Was thinking about buying MAGA hats for all of us. Put up a MAGA banner in the foyer. Erase all the channels on the TV except Fox News. Try to get a fake autographed photograph of Trump to frame and put on the wall. Ooh. Here's a good one. Get one of those signs to put up on my door that says "protected by Smith & Wesson". Get a bunch of NRA swag to leave around the house. Lots of triggers available.

By the time she flies back to Denver she'll be like...

triggered-meme-gif-3.gif

Seriously though, I don't want to make it sound worse than it is. I have to admit that I think she may be further left than I thought given some things my wife related. But we've all typically gotten along pretty well, and I don't think bad of them. They seem to really believe this stuff, and I think their bubble over there just reinforces it. Her facebook is pretty much everyone agreeing with each other.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Thanks guys for looking that up. I'm kinda shocked. There are far more contexts in which "you people" isn't racist. So basically, if the rule is that it is possible for some word or phrase to be used to disparage a minority race, then that word is banned for all uses, I think it's gonna be pretty easy to make them eat that. Ain't no way I'm not saying "you people" when you guys, or you all, or y'all would usually be used. Time to rip language from the clutches of delusional people. I'm starting to wonder if our progressive family members need a full on cult intervention.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Chick Flick.
    Mmmm
    Walk into a room with a chick flick, and odds are, most of the viewers will be chicks.
    Not all, but a majority.
    Only idiots would refuse the evidence of their eyes.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Chick Flick.
    Mmmm
    Walk into a room with a chick flick, and odds are, most of the viewers will be chicks.
    Not all, but a majority.
    Only idiots would refuse the evidence of their eyes.

That describes almost everything that SJWs advocate for.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    https://www.city-journal.org/seattleforall-campaign
    Seattle’s Revolt of the Elites
    With residents fed up by the homelessness crisis, city leaders and their allies coordinate a PR campaign to convince them that everything is fine.

This playbook seems familiar, somehow

The inner workings of the #SeattleForAll campaign tell a clear story: a group of well-funded philanthropies hired a PR firm to produce misleading polling results, distributed them through the city’s main newspaper and other media outlets (many of which enjoy generous donations from those same philanthropies), and then concealed the fact that the messaging was part of a broader campaign coordinated with the city. The “counter-narrative” to the Seattle Is Dying documentary was not a spontaneous reaction of a diverse group of experts; it was a planned effort by Seattle’s philanthropic, academic, media, and governmental elites to steamroll critics. Seattle’s institutional powers, in other words, attempted to quash the emerging public consensus that the city’s approach to homelessness is failing.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks guys for looking that up. I'm kinda shocked. There are far more contexts in which "you people" isn't racist. So basically, if the rule is that it is possible for some word or phrase to be used to disparage a minority race, then that word is banned for all uses, I think it's gonna be pretty easy to make them eat that. Ain't no way I'm not saying "you people" when you guys, or you all, or y'all would usually be used. Time to rip language from the clutches of delusional people. I'm starting to wonder if our progressive family members need a full on cult intervention.

That one some people find iffy, too. Ive had third wave (or second wave, I can't tell 'em apart w/o a program) feminists object to a mixed gender group being referred to that way collectively :rolleyes:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That one some people find iffy, too. Ive had third wave (or second wave, I can't tell 'em apart w/o a program) feminists object to a mixed gender group being referred to that way collectively :rolleyes:

Shouldn’t need a a computer to figure that out. Second wave was the feminist movement of the 60s. Third wave they added all the postmodern bull****. If you can’t tell the difference it’s because the 2nd wave converted to third wave.

ETA: forgot to make the main point. I think it’s that “you” + x group that they don’t like. I did some googling and came across a pretty good decomposition of it from their point of view. So I’ll add my own take on it from my point of view.

They take the “you” as singular, which would mean “singular you among those people”. So they think it means you’re putting them in a group you’re disparaging.

I agree that this would be offensive. So, like “you people”, or, “you guys” would be a more general way of saying “you bad people”. And because everything is about identity and power hierarchy, it’s always wrong for the dominant culture to say it, because no matter what, it’s disparaging.

The two main things wrong with that. When invoking forms of that forbidden phrase, people saying it almost always mean the “you” as plural. It means “you all”. That’s not to say people don’t use it to stereotype. But I don’t know anyone who does. They use it like folks from the south use “y’all”, except in Missippi, they spell it “ya’ll”. I got into heated arguments with those people about how they should spell it.

Last edited:

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    In Pittsburgh, we either use “Yinz” or “Yunz”.
    No doubt some SJW snowflake at Pitt or Carnegie-Mellon or Duquesne is revving themselves up to become offended by its use.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom