• ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Weight day. 203.2, up and down in a small range but I am pretty happy to be where I am. One pound of that is probably last nights dinner. LOL

ALL of my joint pains are gone. I attribute that to dropping statins which my doc was not happy about. Yes, my cholesterol is high but it was high when I was young and skinny so my body is doing what it’s doing and I don’t worry about it. None of us are getting out of this alive anyway. There is little actual recent scientific correlation between cholesterol and heart attacks but there are many other activities that do like smoking that damage LDL and exercise which helps. My friend that works in a hospital said the doc might put me down as an uncooperative patient but he put it down as allergic to statins but now wants to talk about other drugs. Not doing drugs. Much of what I need to do is associated with diet and exercise.

With the weight loss moving is much easier. For instance squatting to get the cover off the pitot static tube on the low wing airplane is much easier now. I used to get on my hands and knees to do that. I have no loss of energy if not more on the low carb diet.

I think the key to health is to reduce or eliminate metabolic inflammation which leads to many of the co-morbidities that are associated with being overweight. Not everyone gets them and that’s probably genetic but most people do.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    183.7# on the scale yesterday. Been eating too many carbs lately.

On the bright side my arthritis medicines, which have been changed a couple times over the past 18 months, are FINALLY starting to work??? I don't want to jinx it and say it is working. Generally I've been in too much pain to do any sort of daily exercises. But over the past couple of weeks that seems to be lessening and that is a good sign.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This time of year for me, weight can vary more than normal by water retention.

Sweating, dehydration, etc. Combined with more physical activity, I can be pleasantly surprised with pounds lost or disappointed with unexpected gains.

I notice that coming off of cold weather every year that I have unintentionally trended towards carnivore. I am a gardener and rarely buy produce, thus seasonally I swing away from a lot of vegetables until fresh harvest.

For me, especially this year, more vegetables seem to translate into more water retention and seemingly inflammation? I get reminders of how the even minor bloating and water retention slow me down on longer hikes and doing chores.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    After watching this thread for a long time I'm finally going to post. My story goes like this, In 2003 I weighed 180 at which point I started putting on a few pounds without even realizing how bad it was getting. by 2010 I was 275. In June of 2010 I contracted a bad case of Meningitis and spent multiple weeks in the hospital with a full week in a coma and on a respirator. When I got out I couldn't do much of anything for about 3 months except sit, eat and get better. By 2013 I topped my weight out at 310. I'm 5'9" tall so you could say I was a little portly. In 2013 I had bariatric lap-band put in. I dropped to 250ish and pretty well stopped losing. The Meningitis did a lot of long term damage to my body that really didn't help. It sent my diabetes into high gear and also initiated psoriatic arthritis which is an auto-immune issue that attacks the tendons and ligaments in my body. Having to go on insulin made it even harder to lose weight as it slows your metabolism to a crawl which didn't help.
    I was able to get myself down to 230 eventually just by eating better and also was put on Mounjaro for my diabetes which really helped my appetite. Recently my younger brother died at the age of 45 from heart failure. My dad and multiple uncles never saw 60 due to heart failure. Losing my brother at 45 really opened my eyes about my health and kicked my desire to lose more and be healthier up a notch. This morning I weighed 219.6. This is the first time in close to 20 years I have been below 220. My ultimate goal is around 180 but would be happy with 200. I am built more like a brick than a tree so anything below 180 I look sickly.
    I'm working on it and this thread has helped to inspire me. Thanks for all the inspiring words.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    After watching this thread for a long time I'm finally going to post. My story goes like this, In 2003 I weighed 180 at which point I started putting on a few pounds without even realizing how bad it was getting. by 2010 I was 275. In June of 2010 I contracted a bad case of Meningitis and spent multiple weeks in the hospital with a full week in a coma and on a respirator. When I got out I couldn't do much of anything for about 3 months except sit, eat and get better. By 2013 I topped my weight out at 310. I'm 5'9" tall so you could say I was a little portly. In 2013 I had bariatric lap-band put in. I dropped to 250ish and pretty well stopped losing. The Meningitis did a lot of long term damage to my body that really didn't help. It sent my diabetes into high gear and also initiated psoriatic arthritis which is an auto-immune issue that attacks the tendons and ligaments in my body. Having to go on insulin made it even harder to lose weight as it slows your metabolism to a crawl which didn't help.
    I was able to get myself down to 230 eventually just by eating better and also was put on Mounjaro for my diabetes which really helped my appetite. Recently my younger brother died at the age of 45 from heart failure. My dad and multiple uncles never saw 60 due to heart failure. Losing my brother at 45 really opened my eyes about my health and kicked my desire to lose more and be healthier up a notch. This morning I weighed 219.6. This is the first time in close to 20 years I have been below 220. My ultimate goal is around 180 but would be happy with 200. I am built more like a brick than a tree so anything below 180 I look sickly.
    I'm working on it and this thread has helped to inspire me. Thanks for all the inspiring words.
    Hi and welcome. You have come to the right place. I'm sorry for the loss of your brother, father, and uncles.

I understand the frustration of being shorter and heavy. At 5'1", I topped out at 260. Not a good look. I finally found my motivation, and I'm glad you found yours. Weight loss is sort of addictive; you see the progress and want more, more more. Good luck (and good health) on your journey.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had a new "issue" yesterday. Just instant pain for no apparent reason. I got it x-rayed and and both knees look trashed with arthritis and just worn out and old. Got a steroid shot inn the one that hurts and he said to go on like normal. Get on the bicycle TODAY if I want and don't worry about it. Easy to say.

I'm still going with ice, aspirin, and take it easy on it at least for today. It felt like they were filling the joint with grease to be honest. Problem is it will shoot my sugar sky high even with my normal meds. I'll HAVE to get on the bike if I can stand it by tomorrow. Right now and with being careful with it there is zero pain today. He said the shot had some anesthetic in it and to expect it to hurt some tomorrow.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    182.4 on the scale today.

I want to get back down into the mid-upper 170's again. But 182 at 6' tall at 63 years old is not too bad. I look skinny unti until my shirt comes off. So I am self conscious about that at the pool

And for those struggling more than me, I was you. You can be me. We are all in this together.

Lower carbs. Lower calories. Increase exercise, even if that is just walking. Do what you can do. Don't compare your process to others. We all progress at our own rate. But work on progressing. Even on failure days. Work to progress.

Eat that burger, but chase it back with Turkey Fries, or DiET Dr Paper. or even Dr Pepper

Last edited:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Weight day. 202.2 so holding steady. I would still like to get to 195 but so far this seems like the floor. I have eaten a few things I have avoided. We honored a WWII Vet on his 100th birthday and I had a slice of pizza, cake and ice cream. It was around the time I normally eat and was hungry. I know, it won’t kill me.

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Quick check in - I've maintained 150-something pounds for about a month now. I've been ~155-156 pounds the last few weeks. I sure don't crave sugar like I used to. I barely want it, it's weird.

It has been incredibly satisfying slipping into concert t-shirts I bought 20 years ago, and not looking like 5 pounds of sausage in a 3 pound bag.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    Weigh in today, I'm down another 2 this week to 217.2. The best part is that I have been able to lower the amount of insulin I am having to use and my Glucose is more stable than I have seen in a very long time.
    The last few months I have been working on building a workout area in my basement which has helped me tremendously. Now I can't use any excuse I can find to not go to the gym and actually enjoy doing it here better anyway now that I'm getting some different equipment.

Top Bottom