• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If i get out and sweat a bunch, I’ve dropped 4-6 pounds in a day. But it comes back. For me, it’s always just temporary water weight loss.
    I have 2-3 6 to 8 mile walking routes that I rotate through. I try to do them 3-4 a week. When I did my daily weigh-in this morning I was 183.4…after my 7.5 mile route today, I was down to 178.6 and that was after I got a couple of drinks. I’ll probably be back up to 180-something by morning.

Attachments

• 61B028B4-5370-47CE-BA16-788932149721.jpeg
      61B028B4-5370-47CE-BA16-788932149721.jpeg
      572.4 KB · Views: 1

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I haven't reported in for awhile; I'm taking some time off from the gym which is painful for me. Emotionally that is. Makes me feel like I'm quitting. And I have been working out since I was a freshman in college.

But, for two years now I have been fighting lower back pain. Doesn't bother me except if I bend down. So getting dressed, picking up weight plates off the floor, getting up off the bench.

I have been through two chiropractors and both eventually threw up their arms out of ideas.

I had an x ray taken and nothing shows up. Actually the x ray shows I have the spinal condition of someone 30 years my junior.

I have changed programs, tried sleeping in different beds but the one thing I haven't tried: lay off the weight training. Been out for two weeks now and no change so I'm thinking that is not it.

I may go MRI next or a guy told me about a chiropractor that throws acupuncture needles in your back and hooks electrodes on them ala TENS is sounds like. I will do some research on this before I consider it.

If I do an MRI and it shows no damage, I am thinking of switching to machine weight training. I have pretty much done free weights and I know how to do a proper dead lift, bench press, etc.. But I also know that doing 3 sets of 8 reps I'm bound to lose form on a couple of reps. That may be all it takes to jack up my back. Machine training will help me maintain good form.

I am a very active person, rarely stopping. I tell people I'm like a shark: if I stop moving I sink to the bottom.

At times when I was putting in tons of hours renovating my home and doing cross fit 4X a week, my chiropractor would tell me to pick one. He said I was doing too much and not allowing adequate recovery. Even my son told me the other day: "dad, at some point your going to have to realize you are 62, not 32".

He's probably right. But I'm not good at slowing down. One of my philosophies is that I'll do something until I can't do it anymore. Then I will stop. I'm not stopping just because I've lived through X number of revolutions around the sun.
    Sucks you have to take a break but back pain can be a bitch! I had to stop deadlifts after I would have hip and back pain when sitting for more than twenty minutes, cleared right up after I stopped, not real sure what was going on but my hip does not like that routine!

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Sucks you have to take a break but back pain can be a bitch! I had to stop deadlifts after I would have hip and back pain when sitting for more than twenty minutes, cleared right up after I stopped, not real sure what was going on but my hip does not like that routine!
    If you miss deadlifting as part of your routine, have you ever used a hex bar? I switched over to that and it feels so much better.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    If you miss deadlifting as part of your routine, have you ever used a hex bar? I switched over to that and it feels so much better.
    I have not, I’ll have to see if I can find one that is for 1” weight plates, unfortunately that’s all I could get my hands on when I started getting stuff, works fine, just not the norm I guess?

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Ever have one of those days you're just not feeling it? That was me this morning. I forced myself through the weight routine and cardio. I pounded the "Stop" button on the treadmil when I reached my goal. I was ready to be DONE.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Ever have one of those days you're just not feeling it? That was me this morning. I forced myself through the weight routine and cardio. I pounded the "Stop" button on the treadmil when I reached my goal. I was ready to be DONE.
    Definitely! Some days it feels like I have to hold myself at gun point to get my goals done, I guess that’s part of forming healthy habits, but man sometimes it feels like I’m seven again and dad just told me to clean my room :crying:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Feeling that way right now.

Just got off the scale. 195.6#, fat mass is trending down, muscle mass is trending up. So good trend lines. Exercise minutes per day are trending higher and have been for 20 days.

But this morning I'm feeling sore and worn out.

I'll be driving down to Purdue University in a few hours, I'm a recurring guest Saber Coach for the team, I need to get this workout in to get the blood flowing before I sit in a car for 90 minutes and then face a bunch of college kids for a 3 hour practice. Coaches don't actually get in much actual exercise in practices so I'm not counting on getting a workout today on campus.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    The fitness/weight loss train has gone off the rails for me right now. Dealing with too much physically and emotionally. Reading everyone's posts for encouragement while I try to get my **** together.
    Sorry to hear this. We all struggle sometimes and that's natual. It's how we respond that counts. Don't give up Snap.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    The fitness/weight loss train has gone off the rails for me right now. Dealing with too much physically and emotionally. Reading everyone's posts for encouragement while I try to get my **** together.
    Just cause the train goes off the rails doesn’t mean we have to get out of the train. I really hope things start looking better for you soon snap!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Woke up at 4:55 this morning. Not sure why.

Electronic scale says my 195.3 pounds. BMI is continuing its downward trend line. Fat is slowly dropping. Muscle is slowly growing. I weighed 206.3 in mid-July. Today is the 23rd day in a row that I'm working out. Typically I get in over 60 minutes of workout, broken into 2 sessions. Sometimes I get over 90 minutes in, but that is in 3 sessions.

Had some coffee with the dogs, one of which is still upset that I picked her up and made her go outside! Then to the rowing machine and got in a 20 minute session. It is one of those cheap rowing machines that my wife found at a garage sale? or thrift shop? It but it works. Made by "Sunny" fitness???

I have an old foot injury from long distance hiking. So I've shifted from the treadmill to the exercise bike because it is lower impact. But the exercise on the bike feels like drudgery to me. So I found the rowing machine folded up in the closet, it had been stuffed there several years ago. Not sure I've ever actually used it prior to yesterday when I pulled it out to try it. For an obviously cheap piece of equipment I'm happy with it. BUT I have no clue what the little digital readout does, it sort of flashes some non-sensical numbers and there is only 1 button so I can't figure it out. Doesn't matter, I track my time/exercise on my AppleWatch & iPhone, so whatever the LCD screen on the machine is showing is unimportant.

I have now started recording my calorie intake, been doing that for the last 2 or 3 days. Over time I will see how that goes and if that helps. I changed my diet when I started this journey and the calorie counting is not really changing my diet, but now I'm just tracking my intake. So I dunno about this. I know my calorie intake is lower, higher in fiber, lower in fat.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Got a wimpy little workout in today, I was just planning on pushing my daughter around in her stroller for a few miles but she wasn’t having any of that today, so I just took it easy and went light. Got some pain in the back of my knee that’s been bothering me after hiking hard or trying to do hamstring curls, I’ve been taking it easy on it to help it heal.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    In April before my stent and the issues that followed, I made it less than 1/4 mile before I was out of breath and had chest discomfort. Today I was on the same trail for almost 4 miles in just over an hour with a 10 lb pack.

My LDL at last check was in the 30's vs 135. My weight hasn't changed but it's been rearranged. My BP is low normal and resting HR is around 50. I haven't felt this good in years. Changing my diet has been the hardest thing. NO meat except chicken and fish. Cut out processed sugar as much as I could. Actually enjoying life again.

Just wanted to put it out there. At 64 I changed versus becoming extinct.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I did this a couple years ago myself, it’s definitely hard, and I’m by no means saying I’ve been completely successful, however, I haven’t had a Reese cup since 2019… and I’d kill my mother for a Reese cup!
    Sugar free Reese’s cups are pretty doggone good.

You’re welcome.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    194.0# on the scale today. 6 weeks ago I was 206.3#

Goal of 185# on October 18, 2022 (that will be my 62nd birthday)

Goal of 177# by Christmas of 2022.

Had a rough day today.

Only a 30 minute workout on the rowing machine. Ended up taking our foster son into the hospital emergency room about 2pm with breathing issues. Got home at 9pm. HE IS FINE. It is a recurring problem, we got him there early enough that they treated and released him. But no additional workout for me. And some drive-thru window food (tasted good, but bad for my diet). Probably just barely stayed within my calorie per day goals, so not horrible, but it was just fatty food.

I got in more 'steps' than I would have expected, but well below my daily average. I guess pacing in an exam room counts as steps.

Curious what the scale weight will read in the morning. I can't imagine it will go down, just hope it doesn't go up too much.

Honestly I think the obstacles thrown in our path during our daily lives get in the way of our best intentions and often derail our desires/efforts to improve our health.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Today is a better day.

But my weight is up a little bit. 195.2#

I blame that on the hospital day and then yesterday's recovery day for our foster son. Drive thru window food and a lack of exercise. He is much improved today. And I've got 106 minutes of workout time already logged in for the day.

I really need to THROW AWAY food on the toddler's plate that is left uneaten. I grew up as a 1st generation child of Slavic/Polish immigrants born just after the end of the great depression. Food was not wasted.

I have a habit of eating what the 2 year old doesn't finish. That is fatal for someone trying to get healthy, fit and losing weight. Toddler food for a premature kid is supposed to put weight on, it is high fat, high salt, high protein, high carb and all highly processed. Basically not what I should be eating!

--- ALSO ---

I deleted the "intermittent fasting" app that was on my smartphone. It actually made me crave food, think about food, count the hours until I could (or could not) have food. I'm sure this technique works for some people but it was not something that motivated me or helped me. My mindset is just different. I'm doing well just counting calories, eating a good balanced diet, and exercising.

Top Bottom