• ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Morning weight 197.6#

First 8 or 9 days I was not showing any steady weight loss, but for the past week my weight loss has been a stead decline, day over day.

My fat mass is finally showing a steady line of decline.

Muscle mass is finally showing a steady line in increase.

My body water content has also been showing a steady line of increase.

I think the first step of this journey was actually a SHOCK to my body systems because I've always been a "grazer" when it comes to food. I'll eat a little bit, but I eat frequently, so my total intake of food has always been fairly large. My activity levels work the opposite way, I tended to sit a lot but when I was active I tended to be very active.

Now that I have settled into a much more regular new routine with 2 a day exercise sessions, each 20 to 30 minutes long, it is also altering how I eat. I'm no longer 'grazing' because my body simply isn't asking for food in the same ways. I tend to get up, drink my espresso, and then about 7am I usually am in my first workout. After workout I have no desire to eat for a couple hours so my breakfast is now later, which eliminates my body's desire to have a mid-late morning snack. Often I end up with a later lunch and some days I have simply skipped a dinner but only if I am actually NOT hungry. I am NOT starving myself, I am NOT craving anything or feeling hungry. When I feel hungry I may go have a handful of grapes even some cheese.

Perhaps more importantly I am eating healthier foods. I just keep them on hand and in front of me. More fish, more chicken, less beef (and I love fish, and don't ever crave beef so that is working out well for me). When going out to run errands I used to stop at a drive thru and grab something. Now I take a container of Sugar Snap Peas and a bottle of water (or can of sparking water) and snack on those to take the edge off of any possible craving that may creep up.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I haven't gotten on a scale in 8 days but after a week on vacation I can tell I've gained a few pounds in the lower gut and love handles. Which is ok because I've had such a strict diet and exercise regimen. The resort I was at had a gym but the building it was located in was shut down for construction. Now that I'm back home I'll go back to running/jogging daily and my normal weight lifting and diet. Should shed those few pounds off within a couple days. I did however do a lot of push-ups while in the condo and will say that my chest/pecs and lats were more sore the next day than doing chest presses with dumbbells. Some trainers say push-ups aren't beneficial but my muscles said otherwise. I've been kinda plateau around the 177-179# mark. After slacking for a week I should kick my metabolism into high gear this week with resuming my regular scheduled workouts. I'm hoping to drop into 174 range

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Got 7.39 mile hike in today. The wife wants a divorce :lmfao: I don’t see her going hiking with me again… I went at her pace, I intentionally walked behind her almost The whole time to maintain her pace. To me it was a leisurely walk in the woods with some fun technical hiking mixed in, to her apparently it was shear torture!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I slipped up a bit over the weekend. We had our part time foster son home for the weekend. It was also move-in weekend at Notre Dame and our foreign exchange daughter was moved from my daughter's Chicago apartment to our home, sorted her belongings and then moved her into her dorm on campus.

So no way I could get in my normal exercise routine.

No way I could eat as well either, especially with a "going away" dinner involving pizza and ice cream cake. I did moderate my food intake. But just not well enough.

Also a lot of sitting in a car driving to/from campus, etc

Weighed in at 199.2# this morning and honestly didn't feel bad about that, despite the minor weight gain from my low point of 197.6#

I did workout last evening. Got up this morning and got in a good workout. Just got back from the grocery store after stocking up on healthy fruits and veggies. So the weekend was nothing more than a pothole in my path. I wanted to get in my workouts, I wanted to eat better, sometimes the situation just makes for a minor bump in the journey.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I slipped up a bit over the weekend. We had our part time foster son home for the weekend. It was also move-in weekend at Notre Dame and our foreign exchange daughter was moved from my daughter's Chicago apartment to our home, sorted her belongings and then moved her into her dorm on campus.

So no way I could get in my normal exercise routine.

No way I could eat as well either, especially with a "going away" dinner involving pizza and ice cream cake. I did moderate my food intake. But just not well enough.

Also a lot of sitting in a car driving to/from campus, etc

Weighed in at 199.2# this morning and honestly didn't feel bad about that, despite the minor weight gain from my low point of 197.6#

I did workout last evening. Got up this morning and got in a good workout. Just got back from the grocery store after stocking up on healthy fruits and veggies. So the weekend was nothing more than a pothole in my path. I wanted to get in my workouts, I wanted to eat better, sometimes the situation just makes for a minor bump in the journey.
    It’s likely just water, it will be gone in a couple days. Monday mornings after my Sunday hikes it’s not unusual for me to put on 4-5 pounds. It usually takes several days to be back to normal and by then I’m hiking again, so I don’t have a clue how much I really weigh!

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I took the shot around noon i think. Ate lunch afterward. Ate a small meal-prep dinner and then worked out at 7pm with a protein drink after that.

Later i turned down cheese and wine. Neither sounded good. No nausea, just no interest. It's now three hours after the workout and zero hunger yet. Craziness.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Morning weight is back to 197.6 today. My weight goal was 185 pounds. That is still considered "overweight" for a 60+ year old, at 6' tall. I'm enjoying doing these work outs and lifestyle changes so much I lowered my goal to 175, which puts me (barely) into the "HEALTHY" weight for my age/height.

I am using 4# dumbbells 100% of the time I am on a treadmill or exercycle. I've moved up from 3#. My right arm can easily pump the 4# weights for 30 full minutes. My left arm is struggling with the 4# weight for the full 30 minutes I am on the equipment.

Clearly I have body asymmetry that favors my right arm & right side. Possibly a natural outcome of being a right handed fencer and needing the strength and coordination on my right side for that sport. I have a set of 6# dumbbells on order. Already have a 5# set and hope to start transitioning to the 5# set with my second workout today. I'm optimistic!

The weights add another dimension to the bike/treadmill and while it starts out easy, they feel pretty darn heavy at the end of 30 minutes. I pump them across my body, I pump them over my head, I pump them out to my sides, etc. So I am trying to work back, chest, shoulder, bicep and tricep muscles at the same time I am on the treadmill & bike.

According to my "Health Mate" app, my BODY MASS INDEX is dropping, my WEIGHT is dropping, my FAT is dropping and my HYDRATION is increasing. All good things. But all only have just over a couple weeks of good data so it is way to early to prove the trends lines are going to continue to be positive, but it is a promising sign that things are moving the right direction.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Morning weight 196.3 and my muscles are sore today. I'm down over 5# in August so I am doing well.

I have been crushing my workout goals every day. Today my goal is to simply meet my goals. I got in 2 short (20 minute) sessions, 1 on the exercise bike and the other on the treadmill. Minimal use of weights.

So I will push myself only far enough to meet my minimal goals, which, compared to my daily routing, means that I am taking a "rest" day.

I've frequently beaten my exercise goal by 200+% so maybe listening to the pain in my muscles today is just common sense and recovery.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Came back from vacation 3# heavier. Been lifting everyday since I've been back. Lost 2 of those 3# already. It's nice to be able to do heavy workouts daily and have your muscles recover that quick. I'd say the testosterone supplement helps that

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Morning weight 196.3 and my muscles are sore today. I'm down over 5# in August so I am doing well.

I have been crushing my workout goals every day. Today my goal is to simply meet my goals. I got in 2 short (20 minute) sessions, 1 on the exercise bike and the other on the treadmill. Minimal use of weights.

So I will push myself only far enough to meet my minimal goals, which, compared to my daily routing, means that I am taking a "rest" day.

I've frequently beaten my exercise goal by 200+% so maybe listening to the pain in my muscles today is just common sense and recovery.
    Depending on what work out I do sometimes I barely hit my exercise goal, generally those are my rest days when I just walk to finish things off, I’ll normally get 15-20 minutes of exercise at work, then about an hour of lifting on a normal weekday.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Got in a three mile walk with an 18 pound backpack. Kind of a rest day I guess?
    When I do long distance backpacking I do my best to keep my pack under 20# including water. A good suspension that puts the weight on your hips and uses the shoulders for stability and you can carry that 18 pounds without feeling it.

Try the same walk without the pack but with 2# ankle weights. You’ll likely be worn out with the 2# ankle weights.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    8/25/22 weigh in: down 6.2 kilos from last Thursday.
    That is a huge drop in 1 week!!!

I'm looking to drop 1.5 to 2 pounds a week in a sustained way. A 14 pound drop in 7 days is astonishing.

My original goal weight was 185# but it still has me, at 61 years old and 6' tall, categorized as overweight by pretty much every measure. Readjusted my goal, looking to get to about 175# before Christmas.

Morning weight today 196.7.

Top Bottom