• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    8 mile hike in this morning. Definitely not feeling it. I had to stop twice and sit for a couple minutes, just tired and winded. I suppose it’s a combination of this sinus thing I got bugging me and just being a little sore from hiking yesterday, either way I wasn’t real happy with my performance but it is what it is.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    What is better for toning muscles and getting rid of fat. Not looking to be a muscle man, not looking have biceps that bulge out and tear my shirt sleeves. More looking to get rid of flab, man boobs, and the 'dad bod' look. We currently have light weight dumbbells. I don't want to get into weightlifting. Not looking at buying barbells. Just wondering if I should consider a heavier set of dumbbells?
    • LOTS of repetitions with LIGHT dumbbells? (sets of 50+ reps w/10# or less)
    • FEWER repetitions with HEAVIER dumbbells? (sets of 10-20 reps w/20# or more)

I've re-injured an old hiking injury on my left foot. Commonly called a 'stone bruise' it is a bottom of the foot injury common to long distance hikers/backpackers. Makes any walking painful. Only way to heal is to let it rest. So I'm spending a lot of time in HOKA ONE ONE deeply padded running shoes because they absorb shock and impact better than any other shoe I've ever tried. Silly looking shoes but they are comfortable. Also staying off the treadmill and minimizing pleasure or exercise walks. Rowing machine is low impact. Exercise bike is low impact. Both machines have been getting a workout for the past few days.
    Get yourself a set of resistance bands. I have been using them for about a year now and I'm very pleased with the results. I've attached an article https://www.menshealth.com/uk/building-muscle/a35780573/best-resistance-band-exercises/

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I am totally NOT feeling like exercising this morning.
    Legs are mildly sore. Shoulders are a little sore. Motivation level is very low. Mind sort a wants to move. Body wants to sit.
    Going to finish my coffee, maybe have another.

I'll be pushing myself through my morning workout today.

Onto the subject of :toilet2:

Raw fruits, raw, steamed & roasted veggies, etc. Taking a dump should be an easy thing to do. But I'm finding I feel "backed up" in that department since I started dieting. Took a stool softener several days ago, the day after I pooped 6 times! WTF!?! I don't like the backed up/bloated gut feeling I frequently have.

Diet I am following is roughly 45% carbs, 30% protein, 25% fat. I used to eat more fat, more protein and enjoyed a much clearer gut feel. Now I feel my digestive track seems problematic. Any advice???

Get yourself a set of resistance bands. I have been using them for about a year now and I'm very pleased with the results. I've attached an article https://www.menshealth.com/uk/building-muscle/a35780573/best-resistance-band-exercises/
    Thanks. Look much cheaper than buying a bunch of dumbbells too!

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Maybe try some prunes if you want to stay with something natural?

l am struggling with this issue recently more than I ever have. For my whole life, pooping just came naturally without even trying. Now I go several days without going, and I have to take stuff for it. Not sure if it is age-related, diet-related, or what. Possibly a medication reaction?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    More reps will build endurance, heavy sets put on muscle, both can be used effectively but as a natural lifter, you don’t have to really worry about it. The classic 3 sets/ 8-12 rep in 65% of your max is going to give you good results with the right diet.
    I hate to tell you, but I’ve lost a lot of weight, it takes a long time to get rid of those man boobs. I don’t think you were even close to as heavy as I was, so that probably makes a big difference, but that loose flabby skin can hang around for a long time, especially as we get older, the skin starts losing its elasticity.
    Some people really talk about extended fasting for autophagy and letting your body remodel excess skin

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I am totally NOT feeling like exercising this morning.
    Legs are mildly sore. Shoulders are a little sore. Motivation level is very low. Mind sort a wants to move. Body wants to sit.
    Going to finish my coffee, maybe have another.

I'll be pushing myself through my morning workout today.

Onto the subject of :toilet2:

Raw fruits, raw, steamed & roasted veggies, etc. Taking a dump should be an easy thing to do. But I'm finding I feel "backed up" in that department since I started dieting. Took a stool softener several days ago, the day after I pooped 6 times! WTF!?! I don't like the backed up/bloated gut feeling I frequently have.

Diet I am following is roughly 45% carbs, 30% protein, 25% fat. I used to eat more fat, more protein and enjoyed a much clearer gut feel. Now I feel my digestive track seems problematic. Any advice???

Thanks. Look much cheaper than buying a bunch of dumbbells too!
    Understand. Felt that way this morning to. Went and did 2 miles then did some lifting. Didn't really push it but got up and did something.

On the other subject, I found that I need to drink A LOT more water with the diet I'm on now. I'm drinking probably 3-4 quarts daily at least. Had much the same issues until I did. I avoid softeners like the plague unless a doc tells me to do it. If I eat more than 1 apple I'm guaranteed not to need any help within a few hours!:nailbite:

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville

l am struggling with this issue recently more than I ever have. For my whole life, pooping just came naturally without even trying. Now I go several days without going, and I have to take stuff for it. Not sure if it is age-related, diet-related, or what. Possibly a medication reaction?
    Definitely age and meds related for me. I use to make fun of my dad for drinking prune juice every day but I get it. I still can't stand the smell of it to this day but apple juice and apples have the same affect on my so I use that.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Meds really haven't changed except the dosage increase in my blood pressure meds. But that should have no effect.

I may try apples more frequently.
    I love apples, but they have too many carbs for me. Same with prunes. A combination of senna-based laxatives and stool softeners usually works for me, but occasionally Dulcolax comes into play.

dlandersson

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2019
    Hammond

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Some people really talk about extended fasting for autophagy and letting your body remodel excess skin
    Unfortunately I think mines probably to far gone for a natural recovery, but I’m ok with it, my main priority is being healthy, while it would be nice to have that chiseled appearance, I’m good with what I got, besides, the wife is the only person who sees me without a shirt on :):

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Today seems to be a REST day.

I pushed myself to get on the rowing machine, did that for 30 minutes but really didn't put too much effort into it. I went thru the motions and completed a basic task. No enjoyment from that session. Most of the time I enjoy it and look forward my next session.

I am at 191 pounds for the second day in a row. Weighed in at 206 in July. Started eating better in August. So I have accomplished a 15# loss. 6# more to go to hit my goal of 185 by my birthday in mid-October.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg

Decreased bowel motility is a real thing as you age

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Unfortunately I think mines probably to far gone for a natural recovery, but I’m ok with it, my main priority is being healthy, while it would be nice to have that chiseled appearance, I’m good with what I got, besides, the wife is the only person who sees me without a shirt on :):
    I'm old enough that I really don't give a **** about physique at this point. I'd be happy to drop another 80 lbs, and have more stamina when physically working hard. New knees would be a plus.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I'm old enough that I really don't give a **** about physique at this point. I'd be happy to drop another 80 lbs, and have more stamina when physically working hard. New knees would be a plus.
    New knees, and possibly a refurbished ankle :lmfao: All I can say is that losing 150 makes you feel free, like I ran a little yesterday while I was hiking and I remember thinking a couple years ago I’d have been winded by now and I feel great, I mean I wasn’t going that far, but I kept thinking how I felt good the farther I went.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Well so much for taking a rest day. Got home from work about 1:00, decided there was no point sitting around staring at the tv so I got a 3 1/4 mile walk in. Felt pretty good after my sore hamstrings got warmed up.
    Same thing for me. I planned on a recovery day today, but I couldn't stand the thought of having free time and not using it to get some cardio work in. I took off down the road this afternoon and worked up a heck of a sweat on a three mile jog/walk.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Same thing for me. I planned on a recovery day today, but I couldn't stand the thought of having free time and not using it to get some cardio work in. I took off down the road this afternoon and worked up a heck of a sweat on a three mile jog/walk.
    Yep, me to. Though mine didn’t include any jogging, I was pretty soaked when I got home. Gotta love humidity!

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Yep, me to. Though mine didn’t include any jogging, I was pretty soaked when I got home. Gotta love humidity!
    When I first started, I had to stop and rest once or twice while walking if I was on a serious hill. I just kept challenging myself to do a little more each time. I've finally reached the point where my cardio is maybe 60% jog and 40% walk. I don't think I'll ever get to 100% jogging, at least where I live. There are way too many hills where I live, and I'm not tough enough any more to run up those big ones.

Top Bottom