• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Are the criminals getting more brazen, desperate, and violent in their attempts to steal. Now they are breaking in when the home owners are home. I thought it was low when the one group raped the mom and daughter. geez what scum.

Thanks for the tips guys.

One thing there is not much reporting on by the news is the motivation behind these home invasions. The stakes a MUCH higher for the perpetrator than a simple burglary so I suspect it's a new gang-related right-of-passage to prove how brutal you are. If it was just about getting the goods, casing the place and going in when there is nobody home is a lot safer and will get you end up committing a lesser crime.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    So here is my current house's anti-theft systems.

First, while my entry door has a window in the top portion, I have put some metal screening over it from behind inside the house. The storm door I have put decorative iron work. Once I lock it, it is like having a jail door protecting the front door. The outside doors all have good dead bolts that are protected by plates on the door an they lock into a metal plate that is screwed into the 2x4 framing. The doors themselves are solid wood for the one with the window and metal for the other one. The hinges are pinned and inside so removing the pins won't work for a thief either. The door I use I put one of the kick braces on at night and the other one I just leave on on the door all the time.

All doors and windows have open sensors as a part of my alarm system. Windows that are big enough for a man have break sensors too. ALL windows have secure locks and I have no sliding glass doors though when I did have them I put a pin through both of them (that wasn't accessible from outside so you couldn't just push them out) to keep them from opening, pins into the frame for each door and two (top and bottom) pining them together.

The alarms system is monitored by Guardian. I have a cell phone back up in case someone cuts the phone wires and doing so sets the alarm off as well. All rooms also have motion detectors as well. When I am home, it has a Stay feature. All the windows and doors are active and one room (my gun room) has the motion detector active as well. I am essentially covered against unauthorized entry. My doors and windows, when the alarm is off, chime telling me what has opened so I know where the entry is and can deal with it if needed. My garage has a motion detector, the door is alarmed and like all the house doors as far as construction plus the car door is also alarmed. I am a sci-fi geek so when I have the alarm on Stay I like to think of it as Shields UP status.

I keep a shotgun loaded with #4 buck near my bed and keep my carry piece with me in my pocket or on the table nearby all the time as well. I also have a few strategic weapons hidden throughout the house in case I am surprised, being held against my will or any other scenario that might require me to have to take care of things after being surprised. I have lights on timers for when I am not home and I have my TV and a radio on a timer as well. This makes it seem like someone is there even when there isn't anyone home. I have nosy neighbors who, even though we don't get along well, still look out for each other and call the police if things appear fishy. As odd as it seems, my cat also lets me know when things seem wrong. She is always nearby and if someone is coming to the door, she knows well before the bell sounds so I know as well.

All this doesn't mean I am a shut in for fear of the outside world. I go out a lot for meals (when I can afford to) and shopping and other things. I don't leave the house without my guns, I carry at least two most of the time. One primary like my SR45 and a BUG, my LC9 or LCP or my Shield 40 cal. If only one firearm is all I can manage due to the way I'm dressed, I carry the LC9 or Shield 40. I always carry at least one extra reload for my primary, two extras is the norm.

gunsisgood

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 19, 2010
    Maine
    As odd as it seems, my cat also lets me know when things seem wrong. She is always nearby and if someone is coming to the door, she knows well before the bell sounds so I know as well.

Yea, it does sound odd to most but I too prefer the stealth of an alert cat over a yapity yappin little rat dog.;)

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    I use a motion sensor alarm for inside the house and use a few chamberlin sensors outside the house in different places. Mine are basically the older version of these. Chamberlain Wireless Alert System with Remote Se... : Target Mobile. The nice thing is if someone walks say 20 in front of your door or down your driveway the box in the house will make a loud beep but whoever is outside has no idea. Each sensor will beep a different amount of times so you know which one was tripped A big dog or deer will set them off but that happens rarely. Its nice to know someone is outside your house lurking before they come in. It definitely gives you an advantage or wake up call prior to someone deciding to help themselves in your house. Saame with the driveway. If you drive a car up the driveway its an advanced notice that someone is here. A few seconds could be a big difference between life or death. I think you can add up to four sensors and the one will beep once, number two will beep twice and so on. But whoever is outside probably wont here the beeping inside unless they are right by a window where the reciever is at. If your reciever is lets say in a window and you have clear line of sight to the sensor they can work a long way away. I used to have one that was over 100 yards "about 130" away that worked but only if it was in line of sight to the reciever.

Last edited:

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    With the new designer drugs that are everywhere and the increase of meth-heads among us you can not rely on rational reactions from a home invader. If you are a drug dealer you know why they are coming in and what they intend to leave with. If you are a regular guy home owner, well, they are looking for your valuable stuff to sell or trade for drugs. They will most likely kill you in the process just for sport. Most of these A$$ hats have zero to loose and everything to gain.
    "Exactly. In a country where 1/2 the homes are armed, in spite of 'new cuba-new york', 'crook county il'; wash. dist. of corruption, etc, breaking into an occupied home is like playing russian roulette with several chambers loaded! No way one can expect rational behavior from someone who has shown they're irrational; that or they're planning to take your life too.

Top Bottom