• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cable

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    I read somewhere that perps will hang around the outside your home for a minute or so looking around before actually attempting a break in. This gave me the idea of a simple motion detector that alerts me of anyone in the vicinity around our house. I found something that is inexpensive and fits the bill perfectly. I waterproofed the sensors and installed them around the outside of the house and also painted some of them to match the trim of the siding etc.

So far the sensors work nicely. There was one late night when one of the zones (4) was continuously beeping. I went ahead and stepped out with a flashlight to see what was going on. It turned out that our neighbors dog was silently hanging around the side of our house. It took off when it saw me with the light and startled me a bit since it jumped out at me. Made me feel pretty good since it provided a good test of the system.

This adds to a feeling of security knowing that any motion outside 10 feet from from our walls is monitored. I always get a minute or so heads up prior to visitors ringing the doorbell etc.

If this gives me 10 seconds of advantage in a nighttime home invasion its well worth it. One downside is that rabbits tend to also trigger the sensors if they are big enough.

Below are the pics of the product and a diagram on how i have my zones assigned.

Attachments

• Skylink MD.JPG
      Skylink MD.JPG
      60.3 KB · Views: 40
    • Motion Zones red.JPG
      Motion Zones red.JPG
      48.6 KB · Views: 39
    Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    FYI there are various favors of "pet friendly" motion detectors. They are tuned to exclude animals under certain weight ranges. One of those could be substituted to prevent dogs and other small mammals from triggering it.

I like the idea.

I saw a similar setup guarding a roof perimeter of a liquor store. Took me a few mins to realize what I was looking at and I'm in the business. (At the edge of the industry, exposed to the product, not selling or installing)

there are also corner sensors that are designed to only trigger when someone approaches within 3-5' of the wall, so a casual interloper ( cutting thru your yard, kids getting a stray ball) won't trigger it. Each unit can sense two directions.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I am working on making one of my motion detector pet friendly. Got a cat and she is just big enough to set it off. So for now that room is out of the circuit but you can't go far without the next one getting you. There aren't any easy entries to it either, it is also right in front of the house and I have nosy neighbors who are likely to see something like an illegal entry at the house.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I read somewhere that perps will hang around the outside your home for a minute or so looking around before actually attempting a break in. This gave me the idea of a simple motion detector that alerts me of anyone in the vicinity around our house. I found something that is inexpensive and fits the bill perfectly. I waterproofed the sensors and installed them around the outside of the house and also painted some of them to match the trim of the siding etc.

So far the sensors work nicely. There was one late night when one of the zones (4) was continuously beeping. I went ahead and stepped out with a flashlight to see what was going on. It turned out that our neighbors dog was silently hanging around the side of our house. It took off when it saw me with the light and startled me a bit since it jumped out at me. Made me feel pretty good since it provided a good test of the system.

This adds to a feeling of security knowing that any motion outside 10 feet from from our walls is monitored. I always get a minute or so heads up prior to visitors ringing the doorbell etc.

If this gives me 10 seconds of advantage in a nighttime home invasion its well worth it. One downside is that rabbits tend to also trigger the sensors if they are big enough.

Below are the pics of the product and a diagram on how i have my zones assigned.
    I've had mine installed for a while now and love it! If a person walks close to my house it goes off and tells me which sensor was tripped. Very good products on the internet for relatively cheap. Peace of mind was worth it. Peace of mind not complacency.

Rocko

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I learned from the hard way when moving into somewhere new. Cover up everything when you move into a new place. Moved into an apartment bought a new tv for it. 3 days in, we left for 15 minutes to come back to our front door kicked in. Glad that I never have to live in apartments again. Still the fact that your neighbors could be watching you, waiting for you to leave is annoying. Make sure your gun safe is either too heavy to move or secured so they can't run off with any guns you have inside if there is a break in when your not home. I like my neighborhood I live in, but anytime our dog barks at night I make sure my 1911 is beside me to go check it out! lol

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    I'm just here:popcorn:. It would be very helpful if those with systems provided the name or model of what you have (as you feel comfortable, of course); there are a slew of options out there, and some are better than others, and some are over priced, etc etc etc.

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    This is one of the most interesting and informative threads I've seen. Thanks to those who have shared their personal stories, and to those who have offered up valuable advise. We always have our front and back porch lights on at night, as well as our two garage lights. We have a security system with window sensors. We have storm doors front and back that are always locked, day or night. Our back door has a key only lock/unlock mechanism. We have no children, so we have loaded guns though out the house for quick access. Luckily, most of our neighbors keep their front porch lights on, and there is a bright street lamp three houses down on the corner. We also have a little dog who is always on high alert. We never answer the door unless its someone we know or the neighborhood kids selling stuff. We have a friend who thinks we're silly for always locking our doors, having a gun handy, or leaving the lights on. We can only hope and pray that she never becomes a victim.

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    Dogs, for one, can be a HUGE detriment.

I have three. They are really friendly to those they know. Not so much toward strangers.

When I first moved into my house I went and introduced myself to all of my immediate neighbors. I informed them that I was in the home improvement business and that I would be happy to give them advice and/or help, as I handed them a business card.
    It never hurts to ingratiate yourself to your new neighbors.

That also gave me the opportunity to scrutinize my new neighbors.
    I had the chance to see if there seemed to be any obvious screwballs nearby. None noted.

I learned where the "low-life" house on the block was by ****-chatting with the obvious busy-body across the street.

I learned I was moving in next to a day-care. WOO-HOO! Talk about eyes to keep a watch on things while I'm gone at work! I shovel her walk the first few good snows we got, early in the morning so that all the mothers dropping off the munchkins didn't have to wade through deep stuff.

Shortly aftyer I moved in, the family across the street moved out, and a new family moved in. A hispanic family that is VERY family oriented. They have family gatherings across the street at least 3 times a month.
    I was cleaning out my freezer one day, making room for the deer I had just picked up from the road-kill list. The family next door was having a cook-out.
    I took them about 15 pounds of ground venison, and 20 pounds of roasts. It was from the last season's deer, and I now had more venison than freezer, sooo.

Anyway, my house is surrounded by people that appreciate my neighborliness.

This, combined with the 3 sets of jaws inside, and then the safe(s), I don't really worry that much.

Holy cow...do you live in Speedway?

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    Guy I know put his plans about going to texas for work on Facebook , because he can't help himself ...was gone 2 weeks training , returned home to an empty house . People that cleaned him out used a black f-150 which according to the neighbors looked just like his truck he drove . Neighbors told police they just thought he was moving out , said it took them several days to get everything out

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    WE have found some very nice kick-sticks for the doors. As we already have pinned hinges and anchored door jambs no way anyone can kick in a door. The noise made would wake the dead.

Dwight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Sheridan
    I haven't looked into this enough yet, but here is an option from AT&T. Remote access to the cameras is what got my attention.

AT&T Digital Life

I just had a great experience with a local company on the Northside of Indy. Still learning all of the capability of the security system, but so far so good. The system is called a 2GIG and it is very easy. You can add components as you need and includes the ability to view cameras or control functions in your home like lights, thermostat, or garage door. I can arm or disarm the whole system from my smart phone as well. Best price I could find for the system and the monitoring.

Might be worth checking out. I'm happy so far. Called Best Electrical Maintenance and the link below goes to their homepage.

Home

Last edited:

Jeepster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    NWI
    Just finished reading this thread and wanted to say thanks to all who have contributed. Heading to my local home improvement store now. Lots of great ideas.

Rating - 96.4%
    27   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    I actually have these door devils for my front and back door, they are nice to have, even if it does but you a few seconds during the night to get your bearings straight. Worth it for my family.

Top Bottom