• ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    15. Octopath looks like a FF throwback. Me likely

Octopath Traveler out today, mine should be arriving soon..

Reviews are good. The biggest draw is the art style, combat, and character progression... the depth of it. The story, however, apparently isn't the game's best quality.

[video=youtube;pZVTrGWvmGo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZVTrGWvmGo[/video]
    [video=youtube;dkKmKy0YIJ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkKmKy0YIJ0[/video]

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Great news for Australia! Their rating system is looking into updating and modernizing guidelines, which would result in fewer games being banned

Dh_6RP-XUAAT6tA.jpg:large

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This week's Gameranx wrap-up.

1. CD Projekt Red CEO hints at a potential return to The Witcher series. I really need to finish The Witcher 3 and it's DLCs... such a good game...
    2. "Controversy" over the models in Resident Evil 2 remake. People think they look weird.
    3. The Culling 2... biggest flop of 2018? Extremely sparse playerbase.
    4. Someone made a PS4U mod... a hand-held PS4.
    5. New trailer released for Pokemon Let's Go games.
    6. Director of Metal Gear Solid movie (apparently that's a thing) will be tweeting some never-before-seen art for the MGS 30 year anniversary.
    7. Nathan Fillion teasing some involvement in Uncharted movie.
    8. Todd Howard talked more about Starfield.
    9. He also said if you want them to stop porting Skyrim to different platforms, then stop buying them.

[video=youtube_share;ucSToJkL1_4]https://youtu.be/ucSToJkL1_4[/video]

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Mark Brown (Game Maker's Toolkit) has started a new series of videos highlighting how game developers accommodate people with disabilities.

[video=youtube;4NGe4dzlukc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NGe4dzlukc[/video]

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    For anyone keeping up with MMOs...

The "Battle for Azeroth" pre-patch goes live today in World of Warcraft.

https://www.vg247.com/2018/07/17/world-of-warcraft-battle-for-azeroth-pre-patch-launch-times/

This is the major patch that precedes the new expansion, and brings many of the new features to the game (class updates, War mode, cross-realm communities)... and usually a limited-time questline that gets you ready for the new lore/world/etc.

Also, Final Fantasy 14 is readying for patch 4.4... which brings a number of new quests, dungeons, raids, job adjustments, etc... including a cross-content promotion with Monster Hunter World (which is being released on PC).

https://mmos.com/news/ffxiv-patch-4-4-prelude-violet-launching-mid-september

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Octopath Traveler Is The Best Selling Digital Game In America, Europe And Japan

Well-deserved. I'm loving it so far. Combat is a ton of fun, the game looks great. Definitely one of those games that becomes more fun the deeper you get into it.

Microsoft Won't Be Holding A Press Conferences At Gamescom This Year

Must not have anything too big to talk about.

IGN, PC Gamer, New York Times Spread Fake News About Saudi Arabia Banning Games

(Site a little NSFW)

The Associated Press published a story on July 16th, 2018 titled “Saudi Arabia Bans Many Video Games After Children’s Deaths”. The article states that Saudi Arabia banned 47 games in the wake of a 13-year-old girl and 12-year-old boy committing suicide. The article linked their deaths to a social media game called Blue Whale. The Associated Press did not provide any additional information about the bans or the connection between the suicides and the alleged censorship.

Others republished or reiterated the news from the Associated Press, including the New York Times, PC Gamer, The Hollywood Reporter, The Washington Post, and IGN, amongst many others.

Each of them linked the suicides to Blue Whale and reported that the 47 games had been banned in result of or in connection with the suicides, without first gaining any confirmation from the Saudi General Commission for Audio-Visual Media.

It turns out that the reports about the games being banned in result of the suicide are all fake news.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Mark Brown (Game Maker's Toolkit) talks about the history of games using "score" systems... how they started, declined, then re-emerged.

[video=youtube;K6y9PJipfpk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6y9PJipfpk[/video]

Also, if you're into super-deep code-related gaming stuff... "Retro Game Mechanics Explained" talks about a glitch in Super Mario Land 2 that allows you to jump outside of a level and into the working RAM of the game itself... and even modify the bits with Mario.

[video=youtube;FPzuYWbnln4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPzuYWbnln4[/video]

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This week's Gameranx wrap-up

1. Backer of the game "Star Citizen" sued to get $4500 back from his pledge since the game didn't release as originally planned. He lost.
    2. Fortnight has made over $1 Billion from in-game purchases.
    3. Ubisoft announced first quarter earnings, record highs. PC games surpassing XB1 games.
    4. Uncharted fan-film starring Nathan Fillion released.
    5. No Man's Sky NEXT update adding a ton of new content, multiplayer.
    6. New story trailer for Spider Man game shown at SDCC.
    7. Saudi Arabia banned a bunch of games because they think they were behind some kids dying.
    8. The Culling 2 developer said they're pulling the game after a poor reception. Issuing full refunds.
    9. World of Warcraft is now subscription-based... no longer have to buy games/expansions.

[video=youtube_share;99Or2sZ0DZ4]https://youtu.be/99Or2sZ0DZ4[/video]

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Subscription based? Hmm. I would think that would have its merits and solve some discontentment from the micro-transaction model.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Subscription based? Hmm. I would think that would have its merits and solve some discontentment from the micro-transaction model.

There are some interesting models out there.

Elder Scrolls Online, for example... you can get the base game and some of the previous DLC for one payment ($10 at the lowest) and play for free. But if you choose to pay a subscription ($15/mo) you get access to every expansion on your account... as long as you continue to pay the monthly sub... AND... you get $15 of in-game currency every month... which you can use to buy the expansions (or in-game items). It's... one of the more unique ones.

Warcraft lets you play free up to level 30 I think... there's a ton of content there.

FFXIV is a typical FF MMO... grabbing cash wherever they can. You pay for everything, including extra character slots.

I think Black Desert Online is no-sub... Guild Wars is buy-to-play...

Lot of Korean MMOs stay free and just load the game up with microtransactions, cosmetics, etc.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm kinda liking the GTA model - there's nothing you can't get for free (original purchase excluded), but you can't have everything without a lot of grinding, which is still fun, just somewhat repetitive. But if you aren't working toward a goal (e.g. money, stats), then what's to do in the game?

The squeakers who've never had a work a day in their life complain, but me, I buy what I really want and can afford, and do without on the other stuff... just like IRL.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Patch notes for the No Man's Sky NEXT update (out today)

https://www.nomanssky.com/next-update/

This finally looks like the game it was meant to be... Really like how much it's grown since it came out, and how the devs stuck with it through all the hassle and negativity.

I'm ready to get super comfy exploring space... setting up a home somewhere... starting a trade route... save up for my own freighter...

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I'm kinda liking the GTA model - there's nothing you can't get for free (original purchase excluded), but you can't have everything without a lot of grinding, which is still fun, just somewhat repetitive. But if you aren't working toward a goal (e.g. money, stats), then what's to do in the game?

The squeakers who've never had a work a day in their life complain, but me, I buy what I really want and can afford, and do without on the other stuff... just like IRL.

Youre not one of the jerks that circle me with the jets blowing me up every time I’m resupying my business are you? :xmad:

Gta honestly has the perfect model imo. I own quite a bit of stuff and haven’t invested a penny in the game other than the initial purchase. It really doesn’t take long to build your account if you get a few friends running supplies or doing missions.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Youre not one of the jerks that circle me with the jets blowing me up every time I’m resupying my business are you? :xmad:

Gta honestly has the perfect model imo. I own quite a bit of stuff and haven’t invested a penny in the game other than the initial purchase. It really doesn’t take long to build your account if you get a few friends running supplies or doing missions.
    Jets? Griefing? Not I - I'm too poor and that's not my style - I'm more of a protector.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Top 10 new post-apocalyptic games of 2018

10. Frostpunk - City-building survival.
    9. Overkill's The Walking Dead - TWD first-person shooter, 4-player co-op like "Left 4 Dead"
    8. Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden - XCOM-ish game with some big dev power behind it.
    7. State of Decay 2 - Survival, community builder, open-world
    6. Dillon's Dead-heat Breakers - Post-apoc wild-west 3DS game
    5. Far Cry 5: Dead Living Zombies - DLC addon for Far Cry 5.
    4. Earthfall - Like Left 4 Dead, but aliens.
    3. Code Vein - Anime Dark Souls, essentially.
    2. Telltale's Walking Dead: Final Season - Closure to the Telltale game.
    1. Fallout 76 - Online Fallout in West Virginia.

[video=youtube_share;X8HQnReNAH4]https://youtu.be/X8HQnReNAH4[/video]

Top Bottom