• ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This week's Gameranx wrap-up

1. Fallout 4 mod "Fallout Miami", Vault 53.
    2. Amazon doing interest-free finance on PC gaming parts, laptops, and PCs
    3. Next XBox is called Project Scarlet. Rumors: Two consoles... the main one, and a "streaming" console.
    4. New trailer for Stardew Valley multiplayer (out Aug 1)
    5. Director behind God of War teased there's another secret/easter egg that players haven't found (it now has been)
    6. Nintendo suing ROM sites.
    7. Devil May Cry 5 running in Resident Evil engine. Photorealism is the goal.

[video=youtube_share;s00nEu3xUK4]https://youtu.be/s00nEu3xUK4[/video]

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    If you want an idea of how prevalent gaming is... turn ESPN on right now. They're airing the Overwatch League.

Saw it in a bar.
    I do not understand younger people's desire to watch others play video games. Maybe it is because they grew up watching their parents play.:dunno:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I do not understand younger people's desire to watch others play video games. Maybe it is because they grew up watching their parents play.:dunno:

It really isn't all that different from physical sports. We watch people that are better than us at it play football in the NFL. We watch people that are better than us at it play games in the OWL.

I used to think it's silly... but eSports is definitely a thing... a very profitable thing.... that's growing year-over-year. It does take a certain kind of person with unique skills to be as good as these people are.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville

That’s all my daughter watches on YouTube. I can see the appeal of watching games I don’t own to get an idea of what they’re like but she watches people play games she has. I don’t get it. I have, on more than one occasion, YouTubed a mission to see what I was doing wrong and get an idea of how to beat it.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    It really isn't all that different from physical sports. We watch people that are better than us at it play football in the NFL. We watch people that are better than us at it play games in the OWL.I used to think it's silly... but eSports is definitely a thing... a very profitable thing.... that's growing year-over-year. It does take a certain kind of person with unique skills to be as good as these people are.
    Iracing has a series that is sponsored by dirtvision, a company that hosts dirt racing all over the US, this year the iracing winner gets $20,000. Tony Stewart gets on and races, so what you said is completely true.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It really isn't all that different from physical sports. We watch people that are better than us at it play football in the NFL. We watch people that are better than us at it play games in the OWL.

I used to think it's silly... but eSports is definitely a thing... a very profitable thing.... that's growing year-over-year. It does take a certain kind of person with unique skills to be as good as these people are.
    I don't see it as the same. Professional athletes do things that I can't do. Professional game players may be better than I am, but I can do what they do.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    That’s all my daughter watches on YouTube. I can see the appeal of watching games I don’t own to get an idea of what they’re like but she watches people play games she has. I don’t get it. I have, on more than one occasion, YouTubed a mission to see what I was doing wrong and get an idea of how to beat it.

There are a few different angles to this.

1. Streamers - These are usually on Twitch, and they'll just sit and play games live as people donate to them. The appeal here is the community involvement... the "e-celeb" thing... viewers seek attention from their favorite "e-celeb", get their name said, have a "conversation" (for money)... etc. Within this category, there are a few different types: Professionals, Casuals, and THOTs. With Pros, you'll find high-level competitive gameplay, major names in the gaming world, people that have taken it to a new level. With casuals, you'll find some fun streamers that have a good personality, people that interact with their audience, really appreciate the viewers, good back-and-forth respect levels. With THOTs, you have women pretending to play games, doing whorish things on cam for maximum donations from the kids watching. Regardless of the type, I don't get these, I don't want anything to do with them. There's one casual streamer I watch, and that's only after he uploads the streams to YouTube... because he got his start on YouTube and he has a good personality. He brings a lot of humor to an otherwise boring video of gameplay. I've never donated to a streamer...

2. Let's Play / Pre-recorded - These are YouTubers that run a business, essentially... have a brand. Game Grumps is one example. A pair of guys that have taken improv classes... they go in for a day, record hours of content, chop it up, edit it, and upload it in 10-15m segments. These sorts of "watching people play games" are usually not bad... it really relies on the personality and dynamic of the people doing it. It's engineered to be entertaining, and that's typically the case.

3. Pro / Competition - This is your event streaming, like any other NFL/NBA/MLB event. There's a baseball game on ESPN? There's also a Starcraft 2 match and Overwatch League matches. It's really all the same stuff. These events fill stadiums, full of sponsors, make tons of money (for the organizers and the gamers). You're watching people that have taken the hobby to a professional level because they can do things that regular players can't. And I'll continue this answer below...

I don't see it as the same. Professional athletes do things that I can't do. Professional game players may be better than I am, but I can do what they do.

You can't. Here's a quote from Forbes:

Understand that not everyone is cut out to be a pro player. Even if you're good, you just might not have the physical ability to be on par with the pros. eSports requires physical and mental prowess, and the top players have to make hundreds of actions a minute at all times, which makes them play at an almost superhuman speed. It simply is not possible for everyone, no matter how much they may practice. You might be good at golf, but that doesn't necessarily mean after 10,000 holes, you're going to be Tiger Woods.

Not to say that you specifically can't... maybe you do have what it takes. Maybe you're still young enough to be able to rise to their level... but not without thousands of hours of practice and determination... and a body/mind that can handle what's required of you. There's casual gaming, good gaming, and professional gaming. Not everyone can be a pro, even if they try.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, since my son and I play Overwatch, it is kinda fun to watch the OWL.

Much like I played soccer growing up, and appreciate and watch the World Cup (even when the US isn't in it), I can appreciate how difficult it is to play the Overwatch heroes at a high level. Plus, there's real teamwork and strategery that goes into a good game.

It isn't like watching competitive Space Invaders or Galaga. :D (Although, maybe there's a business model there....)

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County

1. Streamers - These are usually on Twitch, and they'll just sit and play games live as people donate to them. The appeal here is the community involvement... the "e-celeb" thing... viewers seek attention from their favorite "e-celeb", get their name said, have a "conversation" (for money)... etc. Within this category, there are a few different types: Professionals, Casuals, and THOTs. With Pros, you'll find high-level competitive gameplay, major names in the gaming world, people that have taken it to a new level. With casuals, you'll find some fun streamers that have a good personality, people that interact with their audience, really appreciate the viewers, good back-and-forth respect levels. With THOTs, you have women pretending to play games, doing whorish things on cam for maximum donations from the kids watching. Regardless of the type, I don't get these, I don't want anything to do with them. There's one casual streamer I watch, and that's only after he uploads the streams to YouTube... because he got his start on YouTube and he has a good personality. He brings a lot of humor to an otherwise boring video of gameplay. I've never donated to a streamer...

2. Let's Play / Pre-recorded - These are YouTubers that run a business, essentially... have a brand. Game Grumps is one example. A pair of guys that have taken improv classes... they go in for a day, record hours of content, chop it up, edit it, and upload it in 10-15m segments. These sorts of "watching people play games" are usually not bad... it really relies on the personality and dynamic of the people doing it. It's engineered to be entertaining, and that's typically the case.

3. Pro / Competition - This is your event streaming, like any other NFL/NBA/MLB event. There's a baseball game on ESPN? There's also a Starcraft 2 match and Overwatch League matches. It's really all the same stuff. These events fill stadiums, full of sponsors, make tons of money (for the organizers and the gamers). You're watching people that have taken the hobby to a professional level because they can do things that regular players can't. And I'll continue this answer below...

Not to say that you specifically can't... maybe you do have what it takes. Maybe you're still young enough to be able to rise to their level... but not without thousands of hours of practice and determination... and a body/mind that can handle what's required of you. There's casual gaming, good gaming, and professional gaming. Not everyone can be a pro, even if they try.

Good explanation of the types of streamers out there! I use to not even be ableto begin to understand the appeal of watching someone play video games, but that's changed a bit for me. I have been a gamer my whole life but just couldn't get into watching someone else play. But my son loves to watch shroud play video games so I started watching with him as a kind of a father-son thing to do. And in moderation it's kind of fun to do if the streamer is good or entertaining. I have never and will never donate to them but watching it here and there for game tips or just a little entertainment can be fun. As for those girl streamers they absolutely drive me nuts. No skill at games whatsoever (to be fair there are a couple that are pretty decent at games but just a few out of the thousands) no personality they just show maximum amounts of skin possible and make hundreds of thousands of dollars doing it, it's just sad really.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    7.62 said:
    No skill at games whatsoever (to be fair there are a couple that are pretty decent at games but just a few out of the thousands) no personality they just show maximum amounts of skin possible and make hundreds of thousands of dollars doing it, it's just sad really.

Because I'm afraid people will read this and think you're exaggerating... you're actually low-balling it.

One streamer called "Ninja" is pulling in an estimated $560,000 a month on Twitch.

I'm having a hard time finding the stats for the prostit... er... "female streamers" income. Seems to be a stat that they don't want out there.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville

She watches fgeetv i think is the name of it. I’d say he falls into category 2. I will admit to watching shroud play pubg, dude is ridiculously skilled on it. Other than that I’d rather play than watch.

So so what games does everyone here play, and what platform do you play on? Gpia always gives the run down on the gaming industry, but I’ve never really seen you mention a game you play. I’m guessing you’re a pc gamer judging by the games you usually do talk about.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Because I'm afraid people will read this and think you're exaggerating... you're actually low-balling it.

One streamer called "Ninja" is pulling in an estimated $560,000 a month on Twitch.

I'm having a hard time finding the stats for the prostit... er... "female streamers" income. Seems to be a stat that they don't want out there.

Yeah it's crazy the amount of money there is in streaming. I need to start streaming. The only issue is I'm not that good, nor entertaining, nor am I a good looking female willing to show off extreme amounts of skin. Looks like I'll just go back to my boring job.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So so what games does everyone here play, and what platform do you play on? Gpia always gives the run down on the gaming industry, but I’ve never really seen you mention a game you play. I’m guessing you’re a pc gamer judging by the games you usually do talk about.

Heh... Let's see...

Lately...

PC: Overwatch, casually. Trying to wrap up some achievements in Nier: Automata. Dabbling into No Man's Sky some more. Preparing for World of Warcraft next month when the expansion hits. Occasional VRChat on the weekends.

Switch: Octopath Traveler

PS4: Need to continue Persona 5 and Horizon: Zero Dawn... need to start The Last of Us.

I have a hard time making myself focus on any one game. Mind always racing with "yeah but I could be doing this instead".

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    She watches fgeetv i think is the name of it. I’d say he falls into category 2. I will admit to watching shroud play pubg, dude is ridiculously skilled on it. Other than that I’d rather play than watch.

I currently only PC game although I have always been a console gamer as well.

Currently I play (on PC):

PUBG (About 90% of my game time)
    Counter strike (original version)
    Counter strike Global offensive
    Thehunter: call of the wild
    Eternal Lands

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Heh... Let's see...

Lately...

PC: Overwatch, casually. Trying to wrap up some achievements in Nier: Automata. Dabbling into No Man's Sky some more. Preparing for World of Warcraft next month when the expansion hits. Occasional VRChat on the weekends.

Switch: Octopath Traveler

PS4: Need to continue Persona 5 and Horizon: Zero Dawn... need to start The Last of Us.

I have a hard time making myself focus on any one game. Mind always racing with "yeah but I could be doing this instead".

ive honestly never played a single one of those. But I have seen overwatch and it looks pretty cool, just never bothered getting it until I upgrade pc.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I currently only PC game although I have always been a console gamer as well.

Currently I play (on PC):

PUBG (About 90% of my game time)
    Counter strike (original version)
    Counter strike Global offensive
    Thehunter: call of the wild
    Eternal Lands

pubg is also my most played game right now, but I play it solely on console. Don’t think my pc would handle it. On pc about all I’ve been playing is gta v, battlefield 4 and iracing. I gotta upgrade before getting into the newer shooters.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    pubg is also my most played game right now, but I play it solely on console. Don’t think my pc would handle it. On pc about all I’ve been playing is gta v, battlefield 4 and iracing. I gotta upgrade before getting into the newer shooters.

Yeah that's definitely the downside of PC gaming. Consent needs/wants for upgrades! PUBG is a blast but also probably the most frustrating game I have ever played. Don't you love it when your in top 10 and catch a random head shot as you are crossing the road? Lol. I have recently adapted the way I play for the sake of more action and fun. My win ratio has suffered for it!

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I upgraded my computer to be able to some better video editing and I downloaded fortnite to play with my oldest.

I was a gaming god 15 years ago... somehow, after not playing any games in 15 years, not so much anymore lol.

I should be doing video gaming videos, banking cash and not getting demonetized... if only I didn't suck at gaming now :dunno:

Top Bottom