The Funny Picture/Video Thread, 15th Edition: Be more like Coleman.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    z9swng6.jpg

BeDome

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    Carver tube pre amp.
    Carver tube amp.
    Nakamichi Rx-202 tape deck
    Pioneer wooden cabinet turn table (1970's)
    Pioneer wooden cabinet tape deck (1970's)
    Nakamichi cd-200 cd player
    Pioneer rt-700 4 track reel to reel.
    Acoustic research AR-10 speakers
    All stuffed into a 12x12 room that is the man cave.

The wife likes the dennon 5.1 and the kLIPSCH speakers but often does not even turn them on the watch tv or a movie and always complains when I do and watch something as the explosions are to loud.
    Super nice gear! A little jazzier than most of my stuff.

I have a similar size listening room where I have added some slight acoustical treatments.
    I've cleared out everything I don't use, though.

My amps are early ('05) mono blocks Decware SE84C, speaker systems are Lii Audio F15 in open baffles with custom made (used to do speaker recones to spec all the time, these are custom) 15" JBL motors designed for increased Qts (I reached .59 Qts with super powerful, small gap magnet structures, with Fs of 22Hz) for "woofers," no subs anymore.

Those reimagined JBLs are in the same open baffle configuration.

Most use a tombstone, odd rectangle or a truncated oval, often with wings.
    I used a bell shape like that little icon on your screen, but 42" tall, double thick MDF with a large 2x4 standing base.
    They won't tumble, even holding up two heavy 15s per side.

For a while I was using a dual 15" Linkwitz style "H frame" loaded with Dayton IB drivers as a subwoofer. Kept it, but don't need it, now.

Linkwitz used 12" drivers for his H frames, but I have a hard time using small stuff, especially since most of my old gear is left over from my Sound Reinforcement company days.

A number of turntables to choose from, favorite being a '70s Dual 1229 with modern Grado cartridge. Rewired the tonearm with silver leads. Replaced all the soft parts and bought a spare kit for future.
    Hand made (followed a clone design) tube RIAA EQ and buffer.

Early Sony CD player with Decware custom tube output. One of Steve's early efforts to help CDs sound better. Also use a 'retired' Pioneer Elite bluray player for some things, like DVD music.

Hand built server station, never seen the internet, for digital music collection, 16 TB of rips over the years, using EAC for ripping. Some high res rips from live tapes I made from my Crown reel to reel during my sound company days. Large files those are! One song won't fit on a DVD. Often over 5GB per song.

All my other gear, which is more vintage, is in the garage cave, either powering or controlling my "mono stack" in the corner.

Another open baffle design, but with two 18s, four 15s, large horns and bullet tops, floor to ceiling, splayed uppers. Quad-amped. No tubes, all pro audio retired gear, mostly '80s.
    I use that system as a very capable whisper system, ten feet from my loading bench.
    :):

Forgot to mention some older fun stuff such as Panasonic, Sae, Pioneer, Fishers receivers from '70s and early '80s. Not using them but keeping them for diversions when I want to goof with things.

My custom JBL lowers used in my main system are powered by a McIntosh MC2500, crossed with a Crown VFX2A, signal directly from the tube speakers output of the Decware monoblocks. A little magic thing I made makes this possible.

Sold a set of La Scalas and Heritage last year to a devoted Klipsch guy I know.

About 3yrs ago a friend's house burned and he lost everything.
    I gave him a set of Altec Valencia clones with my other Decware SE84C, an SAE pre and a Thorens TT. All the amps I have, he chose the two watt/channel Decware tuber.
    Smart man!

Last edited:

BeDome

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2013
    NOBLESVILLE
    I remember a certain 'gentlemans' club at 38th and Lafayette Rd that had several La Scalas in their sound system back in the '80's... oh, the travesty
    They were used that way in the wild as well.
    Many times I drug La Scalas and a Crown over the hills in TN and ran cable sets for bluegrass fests.

La Scalas were lighter and smaller than some of my JBL free standing, self contained systems.

My La Scalas were made for it though, factory finished in some black Tolex type stuff. Not made to be wife friendly.
    Went back to JBL Pro after that little escapade with Klipsch.

JBL systems were more stable and the Klipsch were skittish in live performance. Last thing you want amplifying acoustic music is anything skittish!
    That was the '80s. Both have improved.

Last edited:

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Look behind you
    I only remember the Babe's up on Pendleton Pike. If I recall, this was a predominately black patronized club, and I have no frickin' idea how us 'whiteys' wound up there. However, the beer was cold, the women were good looking, and that sound system absolutely rocked!!

I think I went back a few more times just for that, more so than for the girls (it's an audio nerd thing)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom