Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    There is ignorance, idiocy, and then Tide-pod-eating condom-snorting idiocy. And at least 52 people are in this category.

At least he/she got the hetero-normative cis part correct. I suspect that the first humans to define a "year" were likely not as "white" as this person believes. Solar calendars are really, really, old. Zodiac calendars are also really, really old. Heck, there are even "years" defined with more or fewer days, and calendars without the concept of a "year" at all. Some still in use today.

But, hey, why let facts stand in the way of a good rant.

What do you do with the Chinese calendar? D'oh! Nevermind. It's not Western.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    There are good and legitimate needs/uses for a liberal arts degree.
    The problem isn't the degree, it's the 10,000 people for every one spot.

It's like when they were talking about the need for programmers when I was a teen.
    So EVERYONE studied programming.
    Then there was a glut of programmers.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    There are good and legitimate needs/uses for a liberal arts degree.
    The problem isn't the degree, it's the 10,000 people for every one spot.

It's like when they were talking about the need for programmers when I was a teen.
    So EVERYONE studied programming.
    Then there was a glut of programmers.
    Well, I get the point, but just to set the record straight on programming jobs, it isn’t that the glut of programmers was because of too many computer science majors in a steady market demand for programmers. Part of it was. There was a lot of people hired as a strategy to throw bodies at the y2k problem in the mid to late 90s, who then got laid off after.

But aother cause of saturation of programmers was local demand declined because of offshoring. And that started another trend of students avoiding computer science, which caused a real problem with a shortage of programmers. For several years it was really hard to find qualified programmers. That’s changed recently. A few yars ago, bureau of labor statistics projected softwear engineering as one of the most in demand fields, and a lot of students responded.

Also, offshoring kinda got figured out. Companies were initially bandwagoning to give it a go. And they found out that for some things, it’s just not the big cost savings they thought it was. So companies started figuring out what mix of offshoring was profitable, and that contributed to more demand here.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, I get the point, but just to set the record straight on programming jobs, it isn’t that the glut of programmers was because of too many computer science majors in a steady market demand for programmers. Part of it was. There was a lot of people hired as a strategy to throw bodies at the y2k problem in the mid to late 90s, who then got laid off after.

But aother cause of saturation of programmers was local demand declined because of offshoring. And that started another trend of students avoiding computer science, which caused a real problem with a shortage of programmers. For several years it was really hard to find qualified programmers. That’s changed recently. A few yars ago, bureau of labor statistics projected softwear engineering as one of the most in demand fields, and a lot of students responded.

Also, offshoring kinda got figured out. Companies were initially bandwagoning to give it a go. And they found out that for some things, it’s just not the big cost savings they thought it was. So companies started figuring out what mix of offshoring was profitable, and that contributed to more demand here.

I'm talking about the glut in the 80s.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    aIY6F4B.jpg

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    seeing this on my phone, I didn’t get what you were asking. I had to enlarge it to see that it wasn’t beauty and the beast.

At least my posts are already enlarged, unlike some posters here that posts a small thumbnail so you have to click it to enlarge. Just lazy in embedding pictures.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I just copy from google and paste directly to the dialog box. I tried using the insert picture icon a couple of times and it didn't work.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    At least my posts are already enlarged, unlike some posters here that posts a small thumbnail so you have to click it to enlarge. Just lazy in embedding pictures.

Not necessarily lazy. Some folks don't realize you need to uncheck the box that reads, "retrieve remote file and reference locally."

I just copy from google and paste directly to the dialog box. I tried using the insert picture icon a couple of times and it didn't work.

After you paste the link in, uncheck that little box.

fROYbZc.png

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom