• Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    A long story, but worth the time, I feel

A couple years ago, I had posted a picture of a young male bear vacuuming up corn in my front yard up north. My wife thought it was pretty cool to see said bear, but.... She was definitely NOT thrilled that there was a bear in our front yard! Anyways...
    Not long after I posted that picture, I was PM'd by a member here inquiring about the area that I am in and whether or not I would allow a bear hunt or know of an area where he could hunt. He had almost enough points to draw a tag in the Baldwin district that we are in.
    In the meantime, I had finally convinced my wife to go to the very back of the property to see a beautiful little lake on the neighbors property. Absolutely gorgeous view from a ridge overlooking the lake. Unfortunately, a very large boar bear had claimed said ridge as his bedding area and we got to see him up close. And hear him growl and stomp and pretty much tell us we were not welcome.
    Sooo, yes, sir! You may absolutely hunt bears on our place. Put in for the draw and get your tag! This year was the year when said member finally had tag in hand. I suggested that he bring his wife or a friend to share the experience that I knew he was going to have.
    I went north to start a bait site. The first weekend I went through 250+ pounds of bait. We definitely had one bear but probably more working the site!!!
    Two weeks later I was joined by the hunter and we went through another 250+ pounds of bait and a goodly amount of bourbon. As we had never actually met in person, just conversing on INGO, texts and phone calls, I was really looking forward to meeting him in person. I was not disappointed. I feel like we hit it off right away. We ate good and I was able to show him the cabin and property a little. We made plans for him and a buddy to come up for opening weekend. Unfortunately, his friend had to cancel.
    Two nights before the opening of bear we met at the cabin and refilled the bait site. The apples I thought had been eaten the last day of the last trip had been buried instead. I only know one critter that would do that! We added more apples, molasses, bacon grease, corn and oats. A veritable smorgasbord for Yogi and Boo Boo.
    Expectations were high for Saturday morning!!
    On Friday we got to drive around the area, checking on the river conditions and the salmon run. He got to see some Coho spawning with a good view from a bridge. We walked some surrounding federal land, ate well and drank enough bourbon to start talking in cursive. We had a great star show with some shooting stars thrown in.
    Saturday morning we arose and perked up some coffee. He left for his stand and hour and a half before legal time. No bears for the morning sit. Just deer and turkey. I had bucks in the yard as well, eating while I read a new book.
    No bears for the evening sit. Just more deer.
    After a great supper and a drink it was early to bed. Morning came too early and we slept in a bit. All good. Let's eat a big breakfast!
    Second evening had no bears. Just a bunch of deer.
    I can't tell you how disappointed I am that I couldn't put this guy on a bear. We gave it a grand effort, and had bears on the bait, but we were not there while the bear was. They have huge territories and move almost constantly. I figure that they found one of the few remaining oaks dropping acorns or were in the corn field a mile southeast of us.
    I wish our hunt could have been longer but he had other matters to attend.

Anyways, I got to meet a distinguished member of INGO, who I now call a friend. If he wishes to chime in here and ID hisself, great. If not, great.

We are already planning a spring turkey hunt next May. Sure hope we can put it together.

TAB30-06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2023
    Otterbein
    Been after Yogi and Booboo 3 times now out in Idaho. Have yet to punch a tag yet, but 7 days in the mountains is never wasted time. 28 hour drive home empty handed is a bit of a drag!

Top Bottom