actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    No flip flops

The military is about operating as a unit.
    Notice EVERYONE else has shower shoes on.
    This ONE guy doesn't.

Also, hygene.
    Everyone is supposed to wear shower shoes (flip flops) to protect their feet.
    G.I. stands for Government Issue.
    You, as a person, are considered government property, and as such can be disciplined for failing to take care of yourself.
    I was almost disciplined for going 3 days without food.
    I was operating a reactor, and the navy had sunk something like 250,000 dollars into my training.
    They expected a return on their investment.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I was trying to figure out why one leg is virtually white compared to the other.

Hangnail? Bad manicure? Help us non-Marines, soldiers and Air-Scouts out.

No flip flops

The military is about operating as a unit.
    Notice EVERYONE else has shower shoes on.
    This ONE guy doesn't.

Also, hygene.
    Everyone is supposed to wear shower shoes (flip flops) to protect their feet.
    G.I. stands for Government Issue.
    You, as a person, are considered government property, and as such can be disciplined for failing to take care of yourself.
    I was almost disciplined for going 3 days without food.
    I was operating a reactor, and the navy had sunk something like 250,000 dollars into my training.
    They expected a return on their investment.

Straight up bad day!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Hangnail? Bad manicure? Help us non-Marines, soldiers and Air-Scouts out.

When I saw that kid didn't have his flip flops on my heart just about stopped. That poor guy will never make that mistake again. It's just one of those things where they try to strengthen the weakest link in the chain and tonight it's that guy. Oh I don't even want to think of what happened next and how much all his new buddies appreciated the treatment they got because private pyle didn't put on his flip flops. Perfect caption for the picture.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    When I saw that kid didn't have his flip flops on my heart just about stopped. That poor guy will never make that mistake again. It's just one of those things where they try to strengthen the weakest link in the chain and tonight it's that guy. Oh I don't even want to think of what happened next and how much all his new buddies appreciated the treatment they got because private pyle didn't put on his flip flops. Perfect caption for the picture.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the DI/Gunny/whatever is going to find SOMEthing wrong whether that guy has his flipflops on or not. Someone's rack isn't going to be just so, or there will be a hair peeking out of a footlocker, or there will be a hangnail or he'll claim to have seen someone smiling, even if he wasn't. Their day is going to hell no matter what, but today, that particular guy is going to take the blame for it. Tomorrow, it will be the guy on the other side, at the far end. Or maybe that guy will be next week, but at some point, each of them will draw his ire and be the worst excuse for a recruit the Sgt. has ever seen.

Would it have helped anything if he'd dropped and started doing pushups as soon as the Sgt. entered the barracks, or does he have to be screamed at and an attempt at public humiliation have to come first?

(No snark in this post, I'm asking sincerely.)

Blessings,
    Bill

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the DI/Gunny/whatever is going to find SOMEthing wrong whether that guy has his flipflops on or not. Someone's rack isn't going to be just so, or there will be a hair peeking out of a footlocker, or there will be a hangnail or he'll claim to have seen someone smiling, even if he wasn't. Their day is going to hell no matter what, but today, that particular guy is going to take the blame for it. Tomorrow, it will be the guy on the other side, at the far end. Or maybe that guy will be next week, but at some point, each of them will draw his ire and be the worst excuse for a recruit the Sgt. has ever seen.

Would it have helped anything if he'd dropped and started doing pushups as soon as the Sgt. entered the barracks, or does he have to be screamed at and an attempt at public humiliation have to come first?

Blessings,
    Bill

I'm going to go out on a limb and respond, even though I've never been in the military. Ironically, the reason I didn't join is described pretty well in your post. But for those who do join, I'm fairly certain they know what they're getting into. They are not going to kindergarten. Nor to finishing school. They might likely be going to WAR. And they are aware of that when they sign on. I'm sure some (though certainly not all) recruits think they know it all, could/should be running the place, and could easily kick the drill sgt's ass. I'm betting those drill sgt's have the same issues that LEOs do when dealing with the public. There are times when they have to treat everyone like scum and sort things out later. Chances are we wouldn't want these raw recruits defending our country. I don't know if it's the best solution, but the act of tearing them down and rebuilding them into a cohesive unit is pretty well time-tested. God Bless America! :patriot:

Just the 2¢ of a (possibly delusional) 'Merican.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

Blessings,
    Bill

To sum up Bill's post, it's like being married. Even when you're right, you're wrong.

It's just as likely that someone took they guy's flip flops because they either lost theirs or to get him in trouble.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Cause he thought he was one of those "acrobat guys" or whatever they're called. The ones in the movies that jump all over everything and supposedly out maneuver everyone.

Parkour! I love watching Parkour fail videos:

WARNINING: NSFW (language)
    [video=youtube;aCGX0YnuXtg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCGX0YnuXtg[/video]

I have the bolt action version of that! :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom