• Status
    Not open for further replies.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I wonder if they will be supporting the poor soul that beat that cop's behind a few months back as well. They were pretty upset that the police started hanging out there in the aftermath of that.

Not in support of what happened to the officer at all,but " accounts for only a small portion of the citations. Lt. Mike Sigsbee said 70 minor citations have been issued in the city, only 3 of which were issued in the Garfield Ave. area: one for failure to use a sidewalk, one for riding a bicycle without a bell and a third for failing to cross the street at a marked intersection.

Really?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Not if you are trying to legitimize the other side! Freedom of speech only works one way I guess?

Huh? Who said anything about inhibiting someone's Freedom of Speech? Why even paying attention to any of the protesters at all?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Some "peaceful protesters" in Denver acting typically "peaceful":

Denver police union says some East High students chanted 'hit him again' when car struck officers - 7NEWS Denver TheDenverChannel.com

At least the police union there has some sense:
    The Denver Police Protective Association recognizes all citizens’ rights to the First Amendment and the right to assemble lawfully. We do not recognize groups that continually ignore the law and expect the police to protect them while they break the law," the union said.
    "This group of high school students not only broke DPS rules by leaving school without authorization, but broke laws of the City and County of Denver and State of Colorado regarding traffic regulations and the right to assemble with a permit. The DPPA recognizes citizens’ rights to assemble lawfully. This, however, was not a lawful assembly, which ultimately cost four Denver Police Officers a trip to the hospital. One of which is in critical condition," the union said.

This is what happens when you let a bunch of lawbreakers illegally block traffic. Are you paying attention, St. Louis CPD?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Denver police union says some East High students chanted 'hit him again' when car struck officers - 7NEWS Denver TheDenverChannel.com

This is what happens when you let a bunch of lawbreakers illegally block traffic. Are you paying attention, St. Louis CPD?

I'm assuming you saw the vid of the protestors? I think this is rapidly changing from an incorrectly labeled racial issue to an anti-police issue.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I'm assuming you saw the vid of the protestors? I think this is rapidly changing from an incorrectly labeled racial issue to an anti-police issue.

The anti-police sentiment has been embedded from the beginning - and in the Denver incident, it's obvious. (It was actually fascinating to see the sheer number of interests that came in here and co-opted the "Ferguson" protests, from very early on.)

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The other link you posted about the hate crime in Bevo sounds made up. I'm not saying that it is, but it sure has me scratching my head.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    The other link you posted about the hate crime in Bevo sounds made up. I'm not saying that it is, but it sure has me scratching my head.

Still early. No witnesses. I agree it has the *potential* to be fishy. I don't see any way an elderly woman would be able to pull off making up something like that - but there's the potential for embellishment.

Certainly, wait for the investigation.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Still early. No witnesses. I agree it has the *potential* to be fishy. I don't see any way an elderly woman would be able to pull off making up something like that - but there's the potential for embellishment.

Certainly, wait for the investigation.

She wasn't elderly (26). Here's what's fishy to me:
    -the crowbar magically appears
    -she was told to get out of the car, she refuses, and yet her door was unlocked for them to open?
    -The suspects asked if she was Bosnian, why? Would they have left her alone if she said "no, I'm just plain white."?
    -The suspects grab her purse, and rather than fleeing like they do 99.9% of the time, they rifle through the purse on scene, and then run away (not that criminals are the smartest)
    -And she only gets off being thrown to the ground and kicked?

Like I said, it may be legit, but man a number of red flags went up when I read the story.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

the right to assemble with a permit. citizens’ rights to assemble lawfully. This, however, was not a lawful assembly

These laws are(permits to assemble lawfully) are in my opinion an attack on the constitution.
    They tried to pass a similar type bill in Canada called Bill 78.It passed,but after nation wide protest and loss of an election based almost only on that bill it was repealed by Pauline Marois.

Permits lead to free speech zones,as we have already seen many times.A group of Americans gathered together to protest anything should not be deemed illegal activity simply because they do not have a permit.To bad that is not the America we live in currently.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

the right to assemble with a permit. citizens’ rights to assemble lawfully. This, however, was not a lawful assembly

These laws are(permits to assemble lawfully) are in my opinion an attack on the constitution.
    They tried to pass a similar type bill in Canada called Bill 78.It passed,but after nation wide protest and loss of an election based almost only on that bill it was repealed by Pauline Marois.

Permits lead to free speech zones,as we have already seen many times.A group of Americans gathered together to protest anything should not be deemed illegal activity simply because they do not have a permit.To bad that is not the America we live in currently.

The permits for assembly are only required, generally, for obstructing/taking over public spaces, or for blocking public roadways - in other words, when the exercise of first-amendment rights would infringe on the rights and lawful activities of those not involved in the assembly.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The permits for assembly are only required, generally, for obstructing/taking over public spaces, or for blocking public roadways - in other words, when the exercise of first-amendment rights would infringe on the rights and lawful activities of those not involved in the assembly.

Yes. Your right to redress greviences does not supersede my right to go about my business.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

Not true,at least in Indianapolis.If more than 250 people are to be present you need to file for a permit 90 days in advance,and must contact the police(links listed).
    I have been through the entire process for a picket that did not interfere with commerce,traffic,and obeyed all pedestrian laws.
    Permit Process

[h=3]Picketing / Demonstrations[/h] In the instance the event is a peaceful picketing and/or demonstration, please contact the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department. You may speak to Lt. Robert Boydston, 317-327-5379

Aside from the application fee you will need....

• A public safety contact person. The public safety contact must be a certified law enforcement officer through the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy. If you need assistance in finding an officer for a special event, you may call Sgt. Ron Brezik at 317.327.6642 or email him at ronald.brezik@indy.gov Please do not list the person(s) who are organizing the event as the safety contact. If you plan to temporarily close a street for construction, please click here for Right of Way Permit information.
    • Medical assistance information
    • Sample insurance information - A copy of the event insurance certificate must be submitted. The insurance must have at least one million (1,000,000) dollars of general liability insurance. The following must be listed as additional insured and a certificate holder: Consolidated City of Indianapolis, 1200 Madison Ave, Suite 100, Indianapolis, IN 46225
    • Public amenities / Port-o-Let requirements
    • Site-plan/walk/run route map
    • Clean-up plan sample
    • Emergency Action Plan (EAP) sample- If your event is cancelled or postponed due to weather, please send a courtesy call to the Special Events Office (317.327.4849)

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Not true,at least in Indianapolis.If more than 250 people are to be present you need to file for a permit 90 days in advance,and must contact the police(links listed).
    I have been through the entire process for a picket that did not interfere with commerce,traffic,and obeyed all pedestrian laws.
    Permit Process

Picketing / Demonstrations

In the instance the event is a peaceful picketing and/or demonstration, please contact the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department. You may speak to Lt. Robert Boydston, 317-327-5379

Aside from the application fee you will need....

• A public safety contact person. The public safety contact must be a certified law enforcement officer through the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy. If you need assistance in finding an officer for a special event, you may call Sgt. Ron Brezik at 317.327.6642 or email him at ronald.brezik@indy.gov Please do not list the person(s) who are organizing the event as the safety contact. If you plan to temporarily close a street for construction, please click here for Right of Way Permit information.
    • Medical assistance information
    • Sample insurance information - A copy of the event insurance certificate must be submitted. The insurance must have at least one million (1,000,000) dollars of general liability insurance. The following must be listed as additional insured and a certificate holder: Consolidated City of Indianapolis, 1200 Madison Ave, Suite 100, Indianapolis, IN 46225
    • Public amenities / Port-o-Let requirements
    • Site-plan/walk/run route map
    • Clean-up plan sample
    • Emergency Action Plan (EAP) sample- If your event is cancelled or postponed due to weather, please send a courtesy call to the Special Events Office (317.327.4849)

Note that I said "generally". And there aren't very many places that you can assemble more than 250 people, and not cause the city to have to consider/address public safety concerns that may result from such an assembly.

I don't see it as an infringement on the first amendment.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Note that I said "generally". And there aren't very many places that you can assemble more than 250 people, and not cause the city to have to consider/address public safety concerns that may result from such an assembly.

I don't see it as an infringement on the first amendment.

Public parks are plenty large enough to easily host most than 250,but you would need to pay much more to reserve space and get permission.
    [h=3]Parks[/h] If your event will occur within an Indianapolis Park, please contact the appropriate Parks Department for questions or reservations, 317-327-PARK (7275).

Point being if you want to protest anything,and expect more than 250 people you need a permit.So generally a permit is needed.250 people is not that many,and I do not see how it does not limit free speech.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom