• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Damn the Constitution? He didn't do anything unConstitutional or even illegal. You really don't have a leg to stand on here.

Really?

The American people want immigration reform and the do nothing congress has consistently failed to do anything in that area. If the congress wants Obama's EO's on this matter to go away then all they have to do is get off their lazy asses and give the American people what they've been asking for for years.

This sentiment shreds the separation of powers, and spits on the very concept. The President doesn't get to act merely because he believes the Congress is acting too slowly for his liking.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    What makes you think a Gallup poll, or any other poll, represents the "will of the people"?

Multiple polls from multiple source have shown the same thing, over and over again, Hough. You know how they work and that they DO show what the majority of Americans want. And what they have consistently shown for years now is that the American people want immigration reform and the republicrats in congress have been stonewalling on it for years. Why? "Cause Obamaaaaaaa!". They had their chance, and the man even warned them. Hell, they can still make his EO go away if they would just do what Americas people want. But they likely won't. There's a reason they're called the Stupid Party.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Really?

[/I][/FONT][/COLOR]This sentiment shreds the separation of powers, and spits on the very concept. The President doesn't get to act merely because he believes the Congress is acting too slowly for his liking.

Experts in the matter say you're wrong. You'll excuse me if I take their word over yours.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Experts in the matter say you're wrong. You'll excuse me if I take their word over yours.

First, "experts" do not agree on this. Some feel one way, some another.

Second, legality and wisdom are two different things.

Third, I really don't even care that much about the immigration issue. I personally have a tendency to favor amnesty in conjunction with border security. However, I prefer legislative action because the way our government is designed is that the "will of the people" is represented by their elected representatives, not polls.

Fourth, it's grandstanding on both sides. In the end, very, very few people will qualify for actual amnesty. Obama does it to curry favor with the 21st century up and coming demographic, conservatives oppose it because immigrants are apparently the greatest threat to the U.S. since gluten and Obama acted on his own.

The whole thing is much ado about very little.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    So...in my Georgia example, you would criticize the local police for not arresting those who would eat their fried chicken with a fork in public?

Just wanted to be sure.
    Unlike the President of the United States, police officers have some discretion when it comes to enforcing the law. So one can maintain that the president must enforce the law, as written in the Constitution, and that the officers in question do not have to enforce the ridiculous chicken law and still be consistent in their beliefs of the application of law.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    First, "experts" do not agree on this. Some feel one way, some another.

Second, legality and wisdom are two different things.

Third, I really don't even care that much about the immigration issue. I personally have a tendency to favor amnesty in conjunction with border security. However, I prefer legislative action because the way our government is designed is that the "will of the people" is represented by their elected representatives, not polls.

Fourth, it's grandstanding on both sides. In the end, very, very few people will qualify for actual amnesty. Obama does it to curry favor with the 21st century up and coming demographic, conservatives oppose it because immigrants are apparently the greatest threat to the U.S. since gluten and Obama acted on his own.

The whole thing is much ado about very little.

We are not very far apart on this, you and I. It is much ado about nothing. The "will of the people" was in response to Expats assertion that somehow Obama had gone against it, when the facts speak differently. Anyone who thinks this last election was about immigration is sorely mistaken. It wasn't even on the menu for the candidates, this go around.

While this might not have been the "wisest" of moves on Obama's part, it's not going to damage him any more, except with the gop, and it doesn't matter what he does, they already hate him.
    And, while legislative action on immigration may be the preferred route, the idiots in the house have tanked every proposal that's come their way, even from their fellow republicans. They really left him little choice in the matter if something was to be done. It did give them a reason to grandstand, as you say. And it's one they'll take advantage of while it lasts.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    boxunc8iz0cjp_uidlm7xa.png

The only ones yelling for the Berlin Wall and murdering people who try to cross the border are the INGOpublicans and the TEA Party fringe. The people of the US want a secure border, but they don't want wholesale deportations, which is just what Obama gave them.

Par for the course, a reply with half-truths and weak analogies. Some might say delusional. One poll and Obama did not fulfill the first question and you know it.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Par for the course, a reply with half-truths and weak analogies. Some might say delusional. One poll and Obama did not fulfill the first question and you know it.

One poll out of many that all say the same thing. Facts are what they are. The American people want immigration reform and the TEA morons and the republicrats are doing everything in their power to stop it.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The only ones yelling for the Berlin Wall and murdering people who try to cross the border are the INGOpublicans and the TEA Party fringe. The people of the US want a secure border, but they don't want wholesale deportations, which is just what Obama gave them.
    LOL. <comment redacted>
    First the polls you are flouting have nothing to do with an executive order granting amnesty.
    Poll: Resistance to Obama order on immigration
    That one is 46% against the EO, 42% for.
    Americans Oppose Obama's Executive Amnesty By 10 Points - Conn Carroll
    That one is 48-38 against.

And on deportations, it has been documented on many occasions that the Obamanistas simply lie about the numbers. But I am sure you know that as it has been covered here many times.
    ICE Union Pres: Obama Administration Cooking Books On Deportation Numbers

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    boxunc8iz0cjp_uidlm7xa.png

I believe this poll. Americans want this fixed. They don't want illegals to gain unfettered access to come in the country, go on the dole, and not pull their weight. They want security on the border beefed up and they want employers held accountable. That poll says all that. It doesn't say wave a wand, turn your head and cough, and *viola* you're now an American citizens. It doesn't say Americans want amnesty or anything like that. I would say it matches up pretty well to the way I feel.

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    So, you're changing the subject from where you previously were? American don't want immigration reform? The facts say otherwise.
    My prior post was using the facts as laid out in a provided hypothetical as I understood them. It seems clear that Americans want something done but they do not want what Obama is doing.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    My prior post was using the facts as laid out in a provided hypothetical as I understood them. It seems clear that Americans want something done but they do not want what Obama is doing.

While a good portion of folks may actually disapprove of his actions (48% as polled) the fact is that they DO want something done and the republican congress has totally failed to deliver, even on plans offered by their own people. They are the problem in this instance, not Obama. Yeah, he may have stepped in it, but he has done nothing illegal or unConstitutional and even he has said all the congress has to do to make it go away is get off their lazy, partisan asses and pass immigration reform, as the vast majority of Americans want them to do.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF

What makes you think a Gallup poll, or any other poll, represents the "will of the people"?

Who cares about laws, we have polls!

Yeah.Will of the People. Because Shannon Watts and Obama said so on UBCs and guns in Starbucks and Kroger? And I 594. The people have spoken. Never mind that stupid Constitution...

While a good portion of folks may actually disapprove of his actions (48% as polled) the fact is that they DO want something done and the republican congress has totally failed to deliver, even on plans offered by their own people. They are the problem in this instance, not Obama. Yeah, he may have stepped in it, but he has done nothing illegal or unConstitutional and even he has said all the congress has to do to make it go away is get off their lazy, partisan asses and pass immigration reform, as the vast majority of Americans want them to do.

And the Dawes Act was reflective of the will of the people. As was slavery in its day. Surprised that a libertarian would endorse mob rule... Sometimes when the government pleases the people, something ugly happens. And contrary to liberty.

Last edited:

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Everyone wants "Immigration Reform" but what that exactly means differs. Following are three previous laws that were all attempts at "immigration reform". The first two had a very different result in mind than the third.

Emergency Quota Act of 1921
    Immigration Act of 1924
    Immigration and Naturalization Act of 1965

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    executive.jpg

I get such a warm feeling knowing that INGOtarians support the rule of the individual's whim--despotism.

I knew all that juvenile rhetoric about Liberty was just a stalking horse for a fascist agenda, and now we have proof beyond any doubt.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    executive.jpg

I get such a warm feeling knowing that INGOtarians support the rule of the individual's whim--despotism.

I knew all that juvenile rhetoric about Liberty was just a stalking horse for a fascist agenda, and now we have proof beyond any doubt.

It certainly appears that way. There have been a string of these inconsistencies lately.

Top Bottom