• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Are the qualifications for permanent residence status defined by statute , as with citizenship qualifications, or are those subject to change at the whim of the sitting POTUS and governed by EOs? Serious question.

I generally do not do "real" immigration (I've done some work permit stuff for clients and an interesting coram nobis case), but this is my understanding: the qualifications for PR status is statutory and cannot be altered. Some time a few years ago, they made it so that if you are here illegally, but married to a US citizen, you had to leave the country while they processed your PR application. There was a "hardship" exception, but under GWB, it was a high hurdle. It took more than just having family here.

So, some people stayed here as illegals because they didn't think they could get the hardship status. Oh, and I think if you didn't leave, not only could you not come back, if you did come back and got caught, you had to leave for 10 years. I may have that wrong, though.

Anyway, it SOUNDS like (this is speculation), Obama is saying that just having legal family here is enough to get "hardship" status, or that his DOJ won't fight a petition for hardship status under certain criteria. This will let people stay who otherwise would have had to leave.

(For some reason, I don't think the "make them leave" thing was labeled "deportation." I can't remember the phrase used - something like "voluntary removal" that wasn't particularly voluntary.)

Anyway, that's my understanding. The qualifications don't change, but the interpretation of the exceptions/defenses can.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Yes, I figured that was your goal. You really don't like where I'm headed with that follow-up question, do you? Is that why you won't answer it?

I'm quite willing to answer it, but I also want to stay on topic, and within the defined bounds of discussion at INGO.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    So we approve of one person imposing his morality on the American public when it goes against the will of the American people, the will of Congress, flouts a properly enacted law...
    It is really fascinating when you think about it... I guess that cult of personality thing is strong in INGO.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    So we approve of one person imposing his morality on the American public when it goes against the will of the American people, the will of Congress, flouts a properly enacted law...
    It is really fascinating when you think about it... I guess that cult of personality thing is strong in INGO.

He is actually bending to the will of the American public. "The will of the American people" is FOR immigration reform, as poll after poll has consistently shown. The American people want immigration reform and the do nothing congress has consistently failed to do anything in that area. If the congress wants Obama's EO's on this matter to go away then all they have to do is get off their lazy asses and give the American people what they've been asking for for years.

Immigration Reform Proposals Garner Broad Support in U.S.
    Immigration

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Ask your question.

Should a member of the executive branch shirk all morality and do whatever is asked of him, if the correct process is used to ask it?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't approve of his morality or his actions. My argument is only in favor of the system.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF

Oh, that settles it then. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I like how he argues poverty as a defense for law-breaking. That would go over well in a burglary trial, I'm sure... I was poor, I saw my neighbor had good stuff, so I decided to go help myself. After all, I'm poor!

Let me know if you hear of a prosecutor who no files based on that defense...

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    He is actually bending to the will of the American public. "The will of the American people" is FOR immigration reform, as poll after poll has consistently shown. The American people want immigration reform and the do nothing congress has consistently failed to do anything in that area. If the congress wants Obama's EO's on this matter to go away then all they have to do is get off their lazy asses and give the American people what they've been asking for for years.

Immigration

Poll after poll does not show legalization/amnesty, it shows tougher security.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    boxunc8iz0cjp_uidlm7xa.png

The only ones yelling for the Berlin Wall and murdering people who try to cross the border are the INGOpublicans and the TEA Party fringe. The people of the US want a secure border, but they don't want wholesale deportations, which is just what Obama gave them.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

Immigration

Damn the Constitution, Full speed ahead!

I'm pretty sure that, were the founding fathers still around and a President said, "because the Congress is failing to act, I'm going to act in their place" (and then did so), and "If the Congress doesn't like my Executive legislation, they can send me legislation that I'll sign", that President would have been summarily shot for treason.

"The will of the American people" is not relevant or applicable to the day-to-day operation of our form of government. We are not a democracy, and we do not act based on polls. The "will of the American people" is expressed in elections - the last of which quite thoroughly rejected the current president and his policies.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    f Should a member of the executive branch shirk all morality and do whatever is asked of him, if the correct process is used to ask it?

That question is over-broad. The obvious answer is "no", but neither the question nor its answer adds anything to the discussion. Care to narrow it down reasonably?

Top Bottom