• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Not really. That "compensation" thing is pretty important. Confiscation doesn't include it. The constitution does.

Paying $100 for a $1000 rifle is not compensation, particularly if it is mandatory. On the other hand, if they are willing to pay retail+ then the gun manufacturers will declare mandatory overtime.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Paying $100 for a $1000 rifle is not compensation, particularly if it is mandatory. On the other hand, if they are willing to pay retail+ then the gun manufacturers will declare mandatory overtime.

Just had a thought pop into my head. Whether the government "compensates" me or not, if I'm an unwilling seller, is it still a sale? Here's where I'm going... I have all my guns insured. If I'm forced to give them up, can I file a claim with my insurance company? Let's say a common thief broke in and stole all my guns, but he was nice enough to leave me a few hundred bucks for the thousands of dollars worth of guns. I'm pretty sure I could file a claim with my insurance company because they would consider it theft and not a mutually agreed upon sales transaction. I see these "buy backs" (again, how can you buy back something you never owned?) as the same situation. They're proposing "taking" peoples' property, paying a fraction of what they're worth, in a transaction to which one of the parties was not a willing participant. Sounds like theft to me. :dunno:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Not really. That "compensation" thing is pretty important. Confiscation doesn't include it. The constitution does.

That's semantic jello. It's confiscation if not for a silly technicality.

If they come to my door and ask to buy back mine--assuming I have something to confiscate after the horrible boating accident--can I decline without seeing guns pointed at me at some stage?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    That's semantic jello. It's confiscation if not for a silly technicality.

If they come to my door and ask to buy back mine--assuming I have something to confiscate after the horrible boating accident--can I decline without seeing guns pointed at me at some stage?

Well, the constitution is full of semantic jello then. :)

Look, I'm assuming a Dem majority would pass presumptively constitutional laws about this.

If they do - and there is a narrow way for them to do it - then it is no longer semantic, it is definitional.

How many people were prosecuted for hording gold? I honestly don't know, but it was more than 1.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well, the constitution is full of semantic jello then. :)

Look, I'm assuming a Dem majority would pass presumptively constitutional laws about this.

If they do - and there is a narrow way for them to do it - then it is no longer semantic, it is definitional.

How many people were prosecuted for hording gold? I honestly don't know, but it was more than 1.

I don't know how it could be twisted into something constitutional. Are criminals compensated when they forfeit their assets? No. Why? Because they were convicted of a crime. Are property owners compensated in cases of "eminent domain"? Yes, because (allegedly) their property is needed for something that will benefit the public at large. A gun "buyback" fits neither of these. A crime has not been committed, so it's not legal under asset forfeiture, and they're not giving the guns out to the public for their benefit so... :dunno:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    04-Gun-confiscate-LI-600.jpg

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I don't know how it could be twisted into something constitutional. Are criminals compensated when they forfeit their assets? No. Why? Because they were convicted of a crime. Are property owners compensated in cases of "eminent domain"? Yes, because (allegedly) their property is needed for something that will benefit the public at large. A gun "buyback" fits neither of these. A crime has not been committed, so it's not legal under asset forfeiture, and they're not giving the guns out to the public for their benefit so... :dunno:

Well, that opens up another can of worms. Under forfeiture laws they don't even have to break the law. The resources confiscated just have to be suspect as being used in a crime.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well, that opens up another can of worms. Under forfeiture laws they don't even have to break the law. The resources confiscated just have to be suspect as being used in a crime.

Good point! So the burden of proof should be on the government to prove that my guns have been used in a crime, or at least show probable cause to believe that they were.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Just to rub salt in the wounds, they'll probably make payment in Walmart gift cards.
    That they will then tax you on as earnings. So your firearm was confiscated by people paid by your tax dollars, your were paid off with your tax dollars, and now you have to pay taxes on what .gov paid you.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    That they will then tax you on as earnings. So your firearm was confiscated by people paid by your tax dollars, your were paid off with your tax dollars, and now you have to pay taxes on what .gov paid you.

Tell them it was an investment and you have to write it off as a loss instead.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Uhhh, the receipts went down with the safe in the horrible boating accident. Can't even list what I had, let alone what I paid for them :whistle:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    He's term limited after 2022 also. Expect him to run for some other seat at the trough. The peeps can resolve this problem and the one in Albany for good in 2022, only the cities (NYC and Long Island, Buffalo, Binghampton, Rochester and Syracuse) went for either of them but it's a Chicago/Illinois situation (NYC population is 44% of state population) and you can win with just urban backing

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom