Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Most users get their Prager info on youtube or facebook. Are the disclaimers there?
    I don’t do facebook but i did go look at his “about” page on Youtube. Maybe you should look there. There’s also a video on their mission.

It’s fair to claim they’re partisan. They are. But then it’s fair to say that you are too. You look at the world from a left of center perspective. I think a problem a lot of people have is that they think their perspective is the right one, when it’s just *a* perspective. It’s not *the* perspective.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    why? I don’t care to live in a bubble. It’s helpful to regularly converse with people you disagree with. There’s nothing wrong with engaging in discussion with different perspectives. Sometimes you may find that your perspective isn’t always most accurate. Sometimes you end up strengthening your own.
    Wholeheartedly agree with this. If you're *humble* you dig it.
    I think 2ATom may have meant the someone that has views that may be similar to yours but engages in extreme deflection, refusal to answer direct questions, uses his intelligence to call people names in a roundabout way, demands answers from others but won't expound on his reasoning, generally showing a lack of humility. JMHO.
    I appreciate your opinions, while disagreeing with many, and am thankful you take time to explain yourself.

EDIT to add ^right there it is in the post above this, openness and humility. What we're missing in the world today.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I don’t do facebook but i did go look at his “about” page on Youtube. Maybe you should look there. There’s also a video on their mission.

It’s fair to claim they’re partisan. They are. But then it’s fair to say that you are too. You look at the world from a left of center perspective. I think a problem a lot of people have is that they think their perspective is the right one, when it’s just *a* perspective. It’s not *the* perspective.

I've seen some of the Prager videos and found them to be of high quality. I've even agreed with some of his observations and conclusions.

My objection is solely to calling his organization a University. It is not. Had he called his group "The Prager Institute or Prager Foundation" none of this conversation would have been necessary. Words, ultimately, must have meaning. He used the term University inappropriately.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I think 2ATom may have meant the someone that has views that may be similar to yours but engages in extreme deflection, refusal to answer direct questions, uses his intelligence to call people names in a roundabout way, demands answers from others but won't expound on his reasoning, generally showing a lack of humility. JMHO.
    I appreciate your opinions, while disagreeing with many, and am thankful you take time to explain yourself.

EDIT to add ^right there it is in the post above this, openness and humility. What we're missing in the world today.

One does not enter the lion's den as Daniel, unless one is Daniel.

On the other hand, when those few of us who represent differing views take a break from INGO, the lions eat each other. :)

ps. I generally attempt to answer questions of the main counterparty in the discussion. If someone jumps into the conversation at some point and makes a comment or inquiry, I don't believe it is my responsibility to deal with that person if I choose not to. That results in questions not being answered.

I am not always correct in what I say, and I do appreciate challenges. It keeps me sharp at this advancing age. Otherwise, why would I be here? There are enough bright people to make it worthwhile. But it is sometimes obvious that I don't respect the views of people who refer to those counter to their views as libtards, traitors, unpatriotic, dumocraps, Kenyans, Moochelle, etc. If they don't like my responses to them, then it would be incumbent upon them to either ignore me or perhaps treat other citizens in this land as if they too have a voice.

Last edited:

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I've seen some of the Prager videos and found them to be of high quality. I've even agreed with some of his observations and conclusions.

My objection is solely to calling his organization a University. It is not. Had he called his group "The Prager Institute or Prager Foundation" none of this conversation would have been necessary. Words, ultimately, must have meaning. He used the term University inappropriately.

Looks like you're going alone on this one, hombre.
    5hKpl4m.gif

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    And that's OK. The amount of dishonesty is small in comparison to that which exists elsewhere in advertising. But it is a stain that could have been avoided.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

First, thanks. I'm okay with being wrong about things. We all get things wrong. I'm also quite fond of being right as much as anyone else though. People struggle with that.

Okay, so about "the someone". Might as well say it. Yeah. Alpo gets kinda grumpy sometimes. Don't take things personally. Instead, challenge his opinions as much as he challenges yours. But. Make sure you gloat when you're right. He really likes that.

But, I have to wonder why you say "the someone" has similar views as mine. I think my views are less similar to Alpo's as you might think. We've both criticize the president, he more than me. My problems with Trump are more centered around a general disagreement with his authoritarian bent. Alpo seems to be more upset by Trump's lack of decorum in the office, and a general believe that Trump is especially corrupt. As far as where you and I might disagree, if you are a conservative, we'll probably agree a lot on fiscal matters. If you're socially conservative we'll have a few differences of opinions. But I'll engage in discussion with anyone from any perspective, left or right, up to the point where I think they're motives are disingenuous.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    The thread is about the democrat race. I don't necessarily follow all the side banter. Too many people here use threads for their own angst.

One does not enter the lion's den as Daniel, unless one is Daniel.

On the other hand, when those few of us who represent differing views take a break from INGO, the lions eat each other. :)

Sorry, didn't think you'd read that with it being "side banner" and "angst" and all.

I have to say I agree with the last part, haha.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    First, thanks. I'm okay with being wrong about things. We all get things wrong. I'm also quite fond of being right as much as anyone else though. People struggle with that.

Okay, so about "the someone". Might as well say it. Yeah. Alpo gets kinda grumpy sometimes. Don't take things personally. Instead, challenge his opinions as much as he challenges yours. But. Make sure you gloat when you're right. He really likes that.

But, I have to wonder why you say "the someone" has similar views as mine. I think my views are less similar to Alpo's as you might think. We've both criticize the president, he more than me. My problems with Trump are more centered around a general disagreement with his authoritarian bent. Alpo seems to be more upset by Trump's lack of decorum in the office, and a general believe that Trump is especially corrupt. As far as where you and I might disagree, if you are a conservative, we'll probably agree a lot on fiscal matters. If you're socially conservative we'll have a few differences of opinions. But I'll engage in discussion with anyone from any perspective, left or right, up to the point where I think they're motives are disingenuous.
    I think I used the word similar in a very general way, from my perspective it was as simple as 'left of most here', to use even more stereotypical terms.
    It is very uncommon for me to not be able to find common ground with someone, and I would agree with Alpo on the lack of decorum with Trump in general. So there. The disingenuous part may come in to play when we start comparing past presidents, I think of Clinton, I'm sure he could think of others to use 'against' me.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Fair enough. I think his idea about the naming of his organization is about alternate forms of learning. So "university" rather than University. There's the idea that institutional universities are becoming obsolete. I don't think we're there yet. But the vision is a future higher education model where the learning can be free, but the market would be there for a fee oriented certification. So maybe in 50 years, many of the brick and mortar universities are gone, replaced by a market for free educational, interactive content online, supported by crowdfunding and advertising. Then there would be some kind of market for certification authorities that test in various disciplines for a fee.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Khan Academy is a great resource and one that I've used in brushing up on a variety of subjects from integral calculus to slingshot momentum for spacecraft. I would certainly approve getting a number of their courses as accredited or used in conjunction with school-based instruction.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think I used the word similar in a very general way, from my perspective it was as simple as 'left of most here', to use even more stereotypical terms.
    It is very uncommon for me to not be able to find common ground with someone, and I would agree with Alpo on the lack of decorum with Trump in general. So there. The disingenuous part may come in to play when we start comparing past presidents, I think of Clinton, I'm sure he could think of others to use 'against' me.

Yeah, but when we talk about past presidents, it gets pretty partisan. When I say disingenuous I'm talking about people who I think are here for motives other than what they present outwardly. For example, we get some far lefties or otherwise contrarians on here who come here to troll the wing nut rubes. Eventually their behavior betrays their motives. While I could find some common ground with them on some issues if they were here in good faith, when they reveal themselves as having bad faith, they're fair game for snark, IMHO.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Khan Academy is a great resource and one that I've used in brushing up on a variety of subjects from integral calculus to slingshot momentum for spacecraft. I would certainly approve getting a number of their courses as accredited or used in conjunction with school-based instruction.

I've used Khan Academy as well. They have a lot of free content that's high quality and well explained. I don't think an online model can completely replace physical universities. It's been my experience that not everyone is cut out for self-learning. Some students need a classroom with a teacher. But I think that the online model where the accreditation is geared more towards the testing facilities could really bring down the cost of education, and without all the stodgy institutional boat.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    As noted in the MSM, the Michigan primary will be very interesting to watch. Not just in terms of who wins, but what the turnout is and, in certain districts, the demographics of who turns out.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    None of the links for the images go to PragerU.com but rather seemingly random places on the internet.

Got anything that's actually on the PragerU site?

Rinse/repeat on the question above, as this is a GoogleUserContent image link...

Got anything that's actually on the PragerU site?

While we're at it... have you found a single page on the PragerU.com site that doesn't have their disclaimer of not accredited, doesn't offer degrees on it? I clicked around for several minutes and it looks to be part of their page template meant to be on literally every single page of their site.

Meanwhile, back on subject.... Democratic Primaries today!!! Is it going to be feel the "Bern" or Bernie feeling the "burn'... methinks the later with the Dems all in on Biden - we will see tonight... or if Michigan is like California in counting their votes, in a week or two. WTH, California, don't you have a computer or two for this stuff?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    You haven't really thought this through. Even under your specific definition, there is debt bondage, human trafficking, quasi-serfdom and unpaid domestic labor. According to the Global Slavery Index, there were over 40 million people, worldwide, in modern slavery (which includes 15 million in forced marriages). 71% of the total are female.

The common thread among all groups is: poverty. And it isn't decreasing.

Yeah...no....there are studies out there (you can probably find a video or two on the Prager U site) that present a pretty strong case that the world wide poverty has declined and is declining. What we consider poverty (relative wealth compared to someone else)? That probably is what is changing.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Well, I guess I'm simple-minded.

I thought that if everybody's income went up 10% we all better off.
    I didn't realize that if some richer guy's income went up 10%, I was worse off because 10% of his income was more than 10% of mine.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    If that’s 100% true, why does it always seem like it’s the Republican politicians that hide their sexuality, when they’re gay? We just had one come out of the closet the other day.
    People hide being gay for a lot of reasons, everything isn’t always political. I know, shocking. Maybe it was to do with family?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom