Not open for further replies.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    GM all. This new German coffee Oma got me is damn good.

Did a drive-by late last night....deer fixed, red lights now around base of tree. They know, just not is was me.

Spicy...would medium strength thread locker be out of the question? How often to you remove action from stock? Just curious if this is an option. Perhaps a bedding job to reduce stock to action movement?
    My wife liked your deer display.

I don't know much about bedding a bolt action stock/action. I thought about a temporary thread locker like blue loctite. I don't plan on taking it apart really ever. But I admit that I should educate myself further with the subject matter and specifically my particular rifle. I wonder if just degreasing the threads in the action and the screws would help, and not use loctite, but that changes torque values too. Just a thought. Overthinking it probably, like everything else.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Morning folks! :coffee:

I have nothing to offer in terms of torque values but if they keep backing out, could some type of locking mechanism work? Star washer, lock washer or mild LocTite?

This week we will start to rebuild an Enfield. All parts should be on hand now to restore the sporter back to mil-spec. The biggest part of the work will be to clean the cosmoline off of the stock parts. It’s literally 1/8” deep in places with inner areas pushing 1/4 inch. All of the delicate little ears on the stock parts are in good shape though but we’ll see once it’s cleaned up if there are cracks to be repaired. I even picked up 80 rounds of .303 British to take it out once done.

Next up will be the Arisaka.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    My wife liked your deer display.

I don't know much about bedding a bolt action stock/action. I thought about a temporary thread locker like blue loctite. I don't plan on taking it apart really ever. But I admit that I should educate myself further with the subject matter and specifically my particular rifle. I wonder if just degreasing the threads in the action and the screws would help, and not use loctite, but that changes torque values too. Just a thought. Overthinking it probably, like everything else.

May start with cleaning the screws and a dab of 242 (med strength) loctite. If this doesn't help bedding may be the way. To Reed's point, what is stock made of?

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    TD...use little bits of painters tape to make witness marks on the screw and stock and you will know if the screw is actually backing off or if it is stock to action movement only.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I re-checked torque this morning and the rear lost torque from last night. I took it all apart. The stock is made of wood. The areas where the action/receiver contacts the stock is wood, no metal or composite inserts (verified by scraping a small amount of paint off that area), with the exception of a metal insert/block that fits very loosely in a separate pocket in the very rear. Judging by the impression marks, I believe what is happening is the the rear wood is just being crushed more each time I torque the screw. Then it relaxes a bit and the screw becomes under-torqued again. I assume this is where metal/composite pillar blocks would correct this issue? I assume if I just keep re-torquing this rear screw it's just going to keep crushing the wood more.

1JYjD62.jpg

a2uoO80.jpg

Rear metal block is removed in picture below to show impression in wood stock.

Mn3f3fk.jpg

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    All the bits finally arrived for the "Podium" grip mounted BiPod.
    I think this might be a decent deal. It is fairly stable.

MiZqpiF.jpg

I'm fascinated by this support system, CM.
    Hopefully, you'll bring it to the SGE, so that myself & others can see it first hand. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom