• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Nursing a cold with whiskey and coffee, you know I'm sick when I'm not at that gun auction at Dinky's.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    It is going to take more than a few minutes to get the things off the old system. It could take hours to write them to a flash drive. The process of putting them on the new machine will be fairly quick in comparison.

I suppose...it just took 20 minutes to transfer 20 GB to a flash drive as a test but it only took about 30 seconds of my time and would take another 30 seconds of my time to transfer it another machine.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    268   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Heading into work shortly. Gonna put in a few hours there before heading to a benefit this evening for our friend recovering from the brain aneurysm.

Was really tempted to order some Midwest Industries upgrade parts for my Ruger PC9, but I need to abolish the CC debt before anymore purchases. That's what OT at work is for. ;)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    965c70fe07fa914cd5fbd0be6659e550--bodypaint-soccer-ball.jpg

She must have had an incredibly bad day to have been dealing with an ass panda that large.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Just got back from breakfast and a range trip with WT. I put 78 rounds through my bronze DW Heritage and while all were in a decent group, none were overly accurate. WT can probably tell when I’m having an off day as the rate of fire increases over my way. When aiming is not helping much, I try to compensate with volume of fire.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Just got back from breakfast and a range trip with WT. I put 78 rounds through my bronze DW Heritage and while all were in a decent group, none were overly accurate. WT can probably tell when I’m having an off day as the rate of fire increases over my way. When aiming is not helping much, I try to compensate with volume of fire.
    You just shift to mag-dump happiness.......it's a valid strategy ! :D

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    My father was found of saying that the road to recovery starts with bourbon.

Your father was a smart guy.

Really wanted to go to that auction, they have a broomhandle there, and second generation Colt SAA with the box.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    We were wanting to go to the cabin today, but rain has changed that desire.
    It'll be a good day to play guitar, and drink ginseng tea !

SarahG

Snow Shovel
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2017
    Morgan County
    MM, at some point I’ll have to try some of that tea. I’ve had ginseng iced tea, but I have a feeling it was 90% something else and barely any ginseng. I’m definitely a tea person and usually have at least 4-5 cups per day. :):

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    MM, at some point I’ll have to try some of that tea. I’ve had ginseng iced tea, but I have a feeling it was 90% something else and barely any ginseng. I’m definitely a tea person and usually have at least 4-5 cups per day. :):
    You're on the list ! I'll show you the entire process of grating a harvested root. :)

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I’ve been sitting on the couch recovering from some travel and watching Hickok45 go through the military handguns since 1776. Decided I want them all.
    That means that you should free-up some funds.......better sell that old S&W snubbie to me......you know the one ! :D

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The cloud is your friend.
    Get a dropbox account and upload pics there.

Assuming both laptops have a wireless connection, set their drives to "share", go to "File Explorer" on one of them and drag and drop the files/folders from one drive to the other...or just copy the files you want to a USB thumb drive/flash drive and use that to copy the files to the new laptop. We are only talking a few minutes.

It is going to take more than a few minutes to get the things off the old system. It could take hours to write them to a flash drive. The process of putting them on the new machine will be fairly quick in comparison.

Yeah, I was going to suggest cloud as well. OneDrive is an easy way to sync files to the cloud and then have them sync to any machine you want them to (and has some options on if you want them available offline on your new machine or not, etc). CM, don't let it sound too complicated, you got this. As someone else said, one of the grand daughters can also hook you up.

Google Drive is also out there.

If you already have a hotmail.com or outlook.com account OneDrive is easiest, if you have a gmail.com account the Google offering might be better for you.

There are a few things I don't keep on cloud storage, but most things I do, and with some of the new vaulting capabilities in some of the offerings, that may no longer be a concern.

You can also get the app for whichever cloud storage offering you use on your phone and set it up to auto upload pictures you take, etc. This way I'm not worried about pictures only being on a particular machine or phone, etc in case something happens.

If all else fails and you just want to get your files from point A to point B, and are not worried about losing them should a machine die, just go the USB storage route, and copy them to it and then plug it into the new machine and copy them back down.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom