Not open for further replies.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Interesting. My dad and I have always cut into 5 pieces, rolled in Kentucky Colonel Flour (premixed with seasonings), and then cooked low and slow in a hot skillet. Cook until browned. If it is an older squirrel, we have always cooked in a pressure cooker after. In my opinion cold/cool is much better than fresh out of the skillet.

Lots of ways to do it. Only ones I fry w/o cooking first are the obvious young of the year. What we call "breakfast squirrels".
    The ones that the front legs turn purple when you cook 'em. No getting those front legs tender. Throw them out.:):

SarahG

Snow Shovel
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2017
    Morgan County
    This is all really interesting to me as my only reaction to squirrels is trying to feed them snacks. :laugh: I was aware people ate squirrels, but didn't know anyone personally who does. My dad used to hunt them, but mainly just for fun I think. :dunno:

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Lots of ways to do it. Only ones I fry w/o cooking first are the obvious young of the year. What we call "breakfast squirrels".
    The ones that the front legs turn purple when you cook 'em. No getting those front legs tender. Throw them out.:):
    My buddies grandma would always turn them into gravy, and I think the hind legs were all she used.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Best time I ever had squirrel hunting was from a boat. Buddies dad would fish, and the two of us would shoot at squirrels. He'd get tired of us eventually and dump us out on the bank. Great memories.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is all really interesting to me as my only reaction to squirrels is trying to feed them snacks. :laugh: I was aware people ate squirrels, but didn't know anyone personally who does. My dad used to hunt them, but mainly just for fun I think. :dunno:

Squirrels possum ground hog you name it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom