The CZickness XLVI...What's next my friends.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    If you ever visit (everyone should !) ... don't forget to look up ! :faint:

IMG_6266%20copy-X2.jpg

You'll get a crick in your neck in the Missile Room !

IMG_6281%20copy-X2.jpg

I’ll bet that the missive room brought back some memories MM

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Not a bomber you would take on head to head in my humble opinion. Thats what..??? 8 50's pointed directly at you in a direct heasd to head pass.

The book about the Air Apaches (B25 low level bombers) in the SWPAC theater describes missions at under 100’ with a dozen aircraft wing tip to wing tip shooting their way across Japanese airfields. Different times

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I’ll bet that the missive room brought back some memories MM

It certainly did, my friend. Although I was certified to work on the Minuteman II warhead, in actual practice, I spent more time on the B-52 deployed weapons below.
    They were the bread and butter of my craft.

A B-52 held (2) of these clips of (4) bombs, for a total of eight in the bombay.
    The MK-28 had mutltiple yield capabilities, and we set the height of the airburst for whatever altitude that the war room called for.
    I spent two full years on a SAC base with this weapon system.

IMG_6261%20copy-XL.jpg

And then, there was the massive MK-53. A B-52 bomber (with all of its' eight engines) could only lift one of these bad boys. It was legend !

IMG_6264%20copy-XL.jpg

I was amazed that the museum had both of these (inert) nuclear weapons .
    Fifty years ago seemed like yesterday ... for a brief while ! :)

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Great pics of the airplanes and such, been a long time since I've been to Wright Pat.

Thanks ! It's not like 88' described in his visit of 1976 (I was still in the Air Force in '76).
    Now, they route you WAY around the Wright Pat complex ..... it's about a 17 mile detour from the original entrance that I remember.
    Still .... it was worth it !

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    It certainly did, my friend. Although I was certified to work on the Minuteman II warhead, in actual practice, I spent more time on the B-52 deployed weapons below.

A B-52 held (2) of these clips of (4) bombs, for a total of eight in the bombay.
    The MK-28 had mutltiple yield capabilities, and we set the height of the airburst for whatever altitude that the war room called for.

IMG_6261%20copy-XL.jpg

And then, there was the massive MK-53. A B-52 bomber (with all of its' eight engines) could only lift one of these bad boys. It was legend !

IMG_6264%20copy-XL.jpg

Very cool. Those are the real deal bombs there. I don't know anything about airplanes, though I've always thought I'd like to go the Air Force Museum.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Very cool. Those are the real deal bombs there. I don't know anything about airplanes, though I've always thought I'd like to go the Air Force Museum.

I think it's a place for the entire family. It's open all but (3) days of the year, and absolutely free. It's a treasure, and belongs to all Americans !
    Link: https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Awesome pics MM. Any chance they had a B1, A10, or F117A? I love those planes.

It's possible ! .... I'll poke around the pics. I've still only looked through about 25% of the (400) that I took. Bit off more than I can chew .... at least in the immediate future ! :oldwise:

EDIT: I'm sure that they had those aircraft, but we didn't get to see everything that afternoon. They have everything !

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Talk about history ! How about the actual plane that bombed Nagasaki, and brought about the Japanese surrender.
    And of course, the exhibit wouldn't be complete without a replica of Fat Man.
    Now, we easily have nuclear weapons with yields that are 100x the smacka that Fat Man laid down. Still, the world had never seen destruction on this scale .... the nuclear age was born.

IMG_6234%20copy-XL.jpg

IMG_6238%20copy-XL.jpg

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

IMG_6261%20copy-XL.jpg

IMG_6264%20copy-XL.jpg

Hard to believe we were ever responsible enough for war toys of that size, isn't it MM?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The book about the Air Apaches (B25 low level bombers) in the SWPAC theater describes missions at under 100’ with a dozen aircraft wing tip to wing tip shooting their way across Japanese airfields. Different times
    Amazing men to mount up in those flying Harley Davidsons (many engineering cross overs both ways) and fly into the jaws of the beast.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom