• Status
    Not open for further replies.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Ok fellas. Question time. My oldest is Gonna be 6 later this summer and it’s been on my mind for a few years… But I wanna get some insight from those that have been there.

What did you teach your children to shoot with? I’ve got a few ideas in my head, but interested to hear others thoughts, opinions and experiences.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Alrighty folks, got my new Arken EP-5 5-25x56 scope the other day and spent the morning comparing it to my 5 other Arken scopes (SH-4 GenII 6-24x50). Here is an in-thread mini review for anyone who cares to read (gmcttr already stopped reading by this point....).

My initial comparison of the EP-5 vs SH-4.

Glass/image quality:
    EP-5 has a slightly improved image that is slightly sharper with better definition and brighter. This is very subjective and was with my eyes, looking out my back yard across a field at various distances out to over 1000 yards. I tried to get good pictures with my phone, but did not like the way they came out, so once the battery charges in my camera, I'll attempt better pictures later. Hopefully some at dusk to see if the glass is really improved.

Eyebox:
    I "think" the EP-5 might have a slightly better eyebox, but I need to get the scope mounted before making that call.

Illumination:
    Slight improvement with EP-5, enough to notice at least. Still not "daylight bright". So, it should be a little more useful.

Weight/Robustness:
    EP-5 feels like a tank, a very "robust" feeling and in my opinion "similar" to how a Razor feels, though I believe a Razor is still heavier. Weight on mine is 40.1 ounces w/battery installed. I feel like I could drive stakes in the ground with the damn thing :). Once I get an SH-4 removed from one of the rifles, I'll compare them in hand side by side. Looking at the objective ends of the scopes, the rim is drastically thicker on the EP-5. I don't know if the scope's body is thicker all the way throughout or not.

Turrets:
    Huge improvement with the EP-5, like night and day better (and I really like the SH-4 turrets). The 10 mil per revolution is nice. The EP-5 clicks are more audible and tighter feeling, I'll say more tactile because everyone loves that word it seems. The only downside I could see on the EP-5 is with the detents have closer spacing, it will be easier to over-adjust when dialing. On a slow easy going range day, that should easily avoidable. In competition or something with a faster pace?

Diopter adjustment:
    One of my biggest gripes about the SH-4, is how hard the diopter ring is to adjust, it's way too tight. The EP-5 does not have that issue and I would compare it how a Vortex diopter adjustment feels. Smooth, not too tight or loose.

Parallax Adjustment:
    EP-5 parallax adjustment has a rotation of 330 deg versus 300 deg on the SH-4. It also goes to 1000 (vs 500) and then infinity. The EP-5 seems to be more spread out about 200.

Internal travel (elevation and windage):
    EP-5 advertised elevation is 32 mil and windage is 16 mil.
    Mine measured 34.2 mil and 18.1 mil.

I also checked my SH-4 scopes (genII 6-24x50).
    SH-4 advertised elevation is 32 mil and windage is 10 mil.

A) 35.5 mil / 12.7 mil
    B) 35.6 mil / 12.7 mil
    C) 35.6 mil / 12.6 mil
    D) 35.6 mil / 12.8 mil
    E) 35.8 mil / 12.1 mil

2795970791.jpg

View attachment 179933

View attachment 179934

View attachment 179936

View attachment 179937

View attachment 179938

View attachment 179939

Thanks for the review, T-Dogg, nicely done.

If this morning's USPS delivery notice email is accurate (it normally is), mine is out with the mailman for delivery today. :)

I ordered mine January 17th, so it seems like they are right at a 4 week delivery window.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    GM all. It's hard to believe the terrorists are going to be 9yo. I remember when they were pups in CM's picture.

I'll be 31 at the end of the month....:fogey: Turning 30 bothered me but you can't stop it, life goes on.
    You know what makes me feel old? The realization that when I was about your and Rusty's age, you guys were about Raine's age

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom