The CZickness XIII: Lucky 13, we could all use some.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    268   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Morning everyone.

Thank you for your service gentlemen.

I really like that Hillary mag! The AR looks good and glad you like it. I've run plenty of PSA stuff, only thing ever went wrong was a broken firing pin and PSA took care of me.

I hear ya WTB, my job is the same way. I'd love to work from home.

Today is moving day again, this time into our new house! And to celebrate I ordered an Apex Tactical trigger for my M&P 2.0 along with mags and a holster (ironically to replace the ones I recently sold, lol).

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Morning folks! :coffee:

Nice rig MM. I have a similar one but mine is an 8.5" with the Eotech 512 on top. I'm going to have to look for that brace you are using. Looks nicer than the Shockwave I have on mine. Like your, mine is PSA upper and lower and also like yours, mine ran well until WTB tried to run it at Pack's place at the snow shoot. One of the pins walked and she stopped cold. It's got anti-rotation pins in it now but I have not run it with them yet.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I'd have bought that just for the Hillary in jail magazine. That's clever. Thanks for the 'Nam era service. About 10 yrs later I did my time in the cold war. It doesn't really compare.

Aww, thanks, man.

Morning everyone.

I really like that Hillary mag! The AR looks good and glad you like it. I've run plenty of PSA stuff, only thing ever went wrong was a broken firing pin and PSA took care of me.

Today is moving day again, this time into our new house! And to celebrate I ordered an Apex Tactical trigger for my M&P 2.0 along with mags and a holster (ironically to replace the ones I recently sold, lol).

Thanks ! Yay for your new house !

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    But heck, this is a gun forum, right ? ..... so I'ma gonna talk some gun talk !

First of all, let me say that so far, I haven't built an AR ..... but I know how to slap together an upper and a lower, and throw some gizmos on it ! ;)

Normally, I'd take this down to the cabin for a test run, but it's been hot, rainy, and I've had stuff to do .... so I took it to Point Blank.
    If you're an AR snob, better stop reading, because both receivers are PSA built. But so far, I've never had a lick of trouble with their stuff.

It's a 10.5" 300 BLK rig, with the new SB Tactical (4-position !) brace.
    I did throw in a good NIB bolt carrier group, and a NIB charging handle .... and I love the Vortex Spitfire, with it's illuminated and etched reticle.
    Also, it has the EPT (enhanced polished trigger), which is better than any other AR trigger that I own.
    It shot well .... I loved the darn thing ! (a little personal history thrown into the photo)

i-bFz96kL-XL.jpg

In truth there are only a handful of company's that make upper/lowers. They all have spec's they adhere to so there are differences etc but if you have several AR's you may have offerings from any number of them. Many companys (Daniel Defense etc) do their own machine work on the castings so again, the fit/finish quality may vary some.

Every PSA I have built up (several) was just sloppy. They ran just fine. Hit what I was pointing them at etc and so on. The fitment was just not to my liking.
    Maybe I am just to picky...:dunno:

Love the rifle MM

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Morning folks! :coffee:

Nice rig MM. I have a similar one but mine is an 8.5" with the Eotech 512 on top. I'm going to have to look for that brace you are using. Looks nicer than the Shockwave I have on mine. Like your, mine is PSA upper and lower and also like yours, mine ran well until WTB tried to run it at Pack's place at the snow shoot. One of the pins walked and she stopped cold. It's got anti-rotation pins in it now but I have not run it with them yet.

One day, when I actually build my own AR, it's going to have anti-rotation pins ! :yesway:

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    In truth there are only a handful of company's that make upper/lowers. They all have spec's they adhere to so there are differences etc but if you have several AR's you may have offerings from any number of them. Many companys (Daniel Defense etc) do their own machine work on the castings so again, the fit/finish quality may vary some.

Every PSA I have built up (several) was just sloppy. They ran just fine. Hit what I was pointing them at etc and so on. The fitment was just not to my liking.

Love the rifle MM

Thanks, my friend !

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    268   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    All of mine have this accessory. That was another PSA issue we experienced.

Have not had this issue before. I do have the KNS pins on my 308, but they came with the gun. I do like the idea of them, just haven't made it a priority on my other rifles.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Morning everyone.

Which M&P 2.0 are you running? I'll be interested in your thoughts on the Apex trigger when you put it in. Where did you pick up the mags, and how much were they, if you don't mind me asking?

Congrats on the new house, and take it easy moving... no more casualties needed in this thread.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    268   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Which M&P 2.0 are you running? I'll be interested in your thoughts on the Apex trigger when you put it in. Where did you pick up the mags, and how much were they, if you don't mind me asking?

Congrats on the new house, and take it easy moving... no more casualties needed in this thread.
    Full-size 9mm.

Brownells for the mags, 3-pack is on sale currently.

Thank you. I'm sitting at work, waiting for "the call" that we can move in.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Have not had this issue before. I do have the KNS pins on my 308, but they came with the gun. I do like the idea of them, just haven't made it a priority on my other rifles.

2 of the 12 or so we built had trigger assembly pins walk out under heavy use. I found this when the rifle sent 2 or 3 rounds on 1 trigger pull. Scary.
    An Ingo friend had the same experience.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Full-size 9mm.

Brownells for the mags, 3-pack is on sale currently.

Thank you. I'm sitting at work, waiting for "the call" that we can move in.

Thanks, I'll check out Brownells on those. I have a few of the Compact 2.0's, no full size M&P's in the stable currently.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    268   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    2 of the 12 or so we built had trigger assembly pins walk out under heavy use. I found this when the rifle sent 2 or 3 rounds on 1 trigger pull. Scary.
    An Ingo friend had the same experience.

I know of this friend. Kinda cool to have a "burst", but not the way you want that to happen.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    2 of the 12 or so we built had trigger assembly pins walk out under heavy use...

Was this with mil-spec, Geissele, etc type triggers/hammers where the hammer pin is held in with a detent and the trigger pin is held in place by the hammer spring on the pin recess or did this happen with one piece drop in triggers?

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    268   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    The one example that I know of, the hammer spring was installed wrong and not putting enough pressure on the trigger pin causing it to walk.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Asterisk on your comments CM. There's only a handful of places that forge lowers. Lots of machine shops that finish them. Those machine shops doll out work for whoever is paying them. They are capable of different tolerances depending on how much you want to spend. As we always say "parts aint parts."

The question is.....what level of receiver do you really need to have a functioning rifle? Once you build a PSA (or other budget receiver), there's a chance you may need to troubleshoot a few things that are slightly out of spec (walking trigger pins, untapped grip holes, etc...). Once it's been gone through and you figure everything out, it should be a good reliable gun.

My recommendation if you're on a budget is to buy Aero Precision. They machine their own forgings, and do so for a few other companies as well. In the $50-90 range, they're the best I've dealt with.

Also.....stay away from Anderson :abused:

Love the rifle MM

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    CMC and Elftmann also make anti-walk pins. Check prices, they all do the same thing.

And I agree with GMCTTR. With mil-spec parts, the machined grooves on the pins should interact with the other components and keep the pins from walking, even in out of spec receiver holes. You do see a lot of trigger pins walking in drop in trigger packs that don't tension the pins in some way.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dcb500
    Top Bottom