Not open for further replies.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    So I'm doing a little research here on a few pistols of the 75 design in regards to the operation of the manual thumb safety, specifically when the safety can be activated in relation to the position of the hammer. I know the CZ thumb safety can only be flipped on when the hammer is fully cocked (single action mode) but can't be flipped on when the hammer is at half cock or fully decocked (double action). I really like this feature by CZ, mainly because it gives the operator two different modes of carry in one gun. Carry it DA with no chance of the thumb safety interfering or possibly being activated inadvertently or you can carry the gun in SA cocked and locked style just like a 1911. Are there any other CZ style handguns (clones/copies) that mimic the thumb safety operation of the CZ?

Thumb Safety operation:
    CZ - only with hammer fully cocked
    SAR K2 .45 - anytime (verified with Rusty's gun)
    EAA Witness Steel - anytime (verified via Youtube video)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Morning folks! :coffee:

It's sunny out there this morning. Anyone heading to the range?

I fondled a 97 BD yesterday at the gun show. Been awhile since I've done that, it felt nice. I forgot how thin they are.
    I was fondling one at the LGS I frequent last week and was struck by the same thing. I remember my 97B as being larger than this one felt, but the only real difference was that this one sported the new aluminum grips instead of the larger wood grips mine had. Those are really nice guns in the hand.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I fondled a 97 BD yesterday at the gun show. Been awhile since I've done that, it felt nice. I forgot how thin they are.

So I'm doing a little research here on a few pistols of the 75 design in regards to the operation of the manual thumb safety, specifically when the safety can be activated in relation to the position of the hammer. I know the CZ thumb safety can only be flipped on when the hammer is fully cocked (single action mode) but can't be flipped on when the hammer is at half cock or fully decocked (double action). I really like this feature by CZ, mainly because it gives the operator two different modes of carry in one gun. Carry it DA with no chance of the thumb safety interfering or possibly being activated inadvertently or you can carry the gun in SA cocked and locked style just like a 1911. Are there any other CZ style handguns (clones/copies) that mimic the thumb safety operation of the CZ?

Thumb Safety operation:
    CZ - only with hammer fully cocked
    SAR K2 .45 - anytime (verified with Rusty's gun)
    EAA Witness Steel - anytime (verified via Youtube video)

I don't recall how it functioned on my Tanfolglio TZ 75, but on my Armalite, it was the standard non-CZ function of always being functional, even at the half cock notch. I used to think that was great, but now days, I prefer half-cock notch carry without worrying about the safety.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I don't recall how it functioned on my Tanfolglio TZ 75, but on my Armalite, it was the standard non-CZ function of always being functional, even at the half cock notch. I used to think that was great, but now days, I prefer half-cock notch carry without worrying about the safety.
    I personally don't understand the point of a thumb safety on a DA gun. But I understand that some folks want a thumb safety no matter what on their guns. To each their own I suppose.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    The NRA convention is in Louisville this coming weekend, who has been and is it worth seeing?

I went when it was in Indy and I would say it's definitely worth the trip. Tons of stuff to look at and fondle, good deals on merchandise, seminars to attend, lots of eye candy of all forms... :cool:

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    I went when it was in Indy and I would say it's definitely worth the trip. Tons of stuff to look at and fondle, good deals on merchandise, seminars to attend, lots of eye candy of all forms... :cool:

I worked the Indy NRA Convention, Firearms Inspector. We had to make sure that all firearms on display were non-functioning. Took a day and a half to do it. Will work the next one in Indy also.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The NRA convention is in Louisville this coming weekend, who has been and is it worth seeing?
    It's definitely worth the time to go. I'll be heading down on Friday for the convention and may go over the weekend too if possible. The difference between the NRA convention and a normal gun show is that at normal gun shows, the vendors don't want you to touch the expensive stuff unless you are a serious buyer. Even then, you have to practically have the cash in their hand before they will be comfortable with letting you manhandle something. At the NRA show, the manufacturers want you to manhandle their guns, sights and other goodies. They want you to experience the difference in their product compared to others and encourage you to try it out.

The difference is huge in that it results in spending days figuring out what you want to spend your gun money on by tactile experience rather than web images. Plus, there is always cool stuff I did not know existed there.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I personally don't understand the point of a thumb safety on a DA gun. But I understand that some folks want a thumb safety no matter what on their guns. To each their own I suppose.

I had not considered there to be a downside until you pointed out that with a safety capable of being engaged while the gun is at the half cock notch, you have to worry about sweeping the safety regardless of how you carry. That negates a big part of the advantage to carrying a DA/SA gun on the half cock notch. At that point, you might just as well carry cocked and locked.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I had not considered there to be a downside until you pointed out that with a safety capable of being engaged while the gun is at the half cock notch, you have to worry about sweeping the safety regardless of how you carry. That negates a big part of the advantage to carrying a DA/SA gun on the half cock notch. At that point, you might just as well carry cocked and locked.

Biggest thing I have always had against safeties is it is another step in deploying a weapon. And has been said you always run the risk of accidentally engaging the safety unintentionally. Big reason I won't carry a gun with a safety.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I almost bought a 97bd today. I wanted to, but elected to wait. I think I'm having a tightwad kind of day.

Likewise... I let a PCR slip away from me yesterday while I was being stingy. It was at a really good price, but I kept thinking if it dropped just a little more, it would cover the CGW parts I would put in it.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Likewise... I let a PCR slip away from me yesterday while I was being stingy. It was at a really good price, but I kept thinking if it dropped just a little more, it would cover the CGW parts I would put in it.
    The 97 would have been around $850 with tax and CC fees. I just couldn't do it. I wanted to, but didn't.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom