Not open for further replies.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Is it because of the .40 Caliber.
    I will never understand the lack of love for that round.
    It Barks. Has some serious bang over the 9mm.
    I guess there are a lot of "Girlie" men out there.

I sold my .40 a while back, but I still have dies and components. As far as a defensive round I don't know that it really gives you anything, but it is more expensive. But I will have another one some day. The recoil between the three major calibers really is not that different, IMO. Especially when you fire guns built to handle the caliber, and not a bigger cartridge crammed into a 9mm handgun.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I sold my .40 a while back, but I still have dies and components. As far as a defensive round I don't know that it really gives you anything, but it is more expensive. But I will have another one some day. The recoil between the three major calibers really is not that different, IMO. Especially when you fire guns built to handle the caliber, and not a bigger cartridge crammed into a 9mm handgun.
    I like the .40 in cold weather when penetrating outer garments might be a necessity. So, my winter carry and HD guns are either .40 or .45. In the summer I feel fine with a 9mm.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Good points.

As to ballistics.......We conducted the "Non-Scientific" churchmouse ballistics impact tests.
    Factory rds. in FMJ. Nothing special.
    The .40 hit like much harder than the 9mm. Notably so. It left indentations the exact size of the flat nose in a piece of 3/16" cold rolled steel plate. Looked like acne.
    The 9mm left splatter marks at best. .45 acp hammered the plate into a noticeably concave shape. You had to look but it was obvious. We flipped the plate around and hammered it back the other way.
    The .40 had far more zipp.

Now, I am aware that there are some really serious 9mm SD offerings out there but the .40 can be boosted up as well.

I am still a dyed in the wool .45 ACP guy. Old dog......new tricks.....Meh

(I do like my SP-01 Phanton in 9mm but please don't tell anyone.....especially BA...:):)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Morning folks! :coffee:

I'm still a fan of .40 and if I had two nickels to put together right now, I'd jump on that P09. Unfortunately, funds are committed to another project and I refuse to further abuse my credit card. It sucks that every time it seems to be a good time to buy a gun, it's also an awful time to sell one. As good as that price is, the value disappears if I have to lose money on something I was too lazy to sell when the prices were up.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Morning folks! :coffee:

I'm still a fan of .40 and if I had two nickels to put together right now, I'd jump on that P09. Unfortunately, funds are committed to another project and I refuse to further abuse my credit card. It sucks that every time it seems to be a good time to buy a gun, it's also an awful time to sell one. As good as that price is, the value disappears if I have to lose money on something I was too lazy to sell when the prices were up.

I can help you with this......:)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    In reality I am sitting pat on my collection at present.
    I have some really nice AR's in multiple but do not "want" to sell them. At least not right now.
    Same with 1911's. Every one is tuned up to my personal taste. They are my children.....:)

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I do have my tax check, but I also have a lot of vehicle maintenance to catch up on, and we need to replenish savings. Hopefully I can get some overtime here soon and I can put a little back. It won't be the last time we see a deal. Hopefully I'll be ready for the next.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I also really enjoy the 40 cal and right now some of these dealers are really discounting them, seems like they just arent moving!

I think the .40 fad is about over. Or, it may just be going through a down period. Great time to get what you want while others look at shiny. :yesway:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom