The Czickness LIII….CZing into the summer with friends near and far.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Firehawk

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    The brake job on the wife’s car that should have taken an hour yesterday ended up taking 6. I found both rear calipers were bad and had to replace. One of new calipers also ended up being bad (factory damaged piston seal). So I had to drive to another town to get it exchanged. Good to go now.

Firehawk

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    I had Mrs. Firehawk help me bleed the brakes. She’s done it before and knows the process. After maybe 20 pumps there was still nothing at the caliper. I’m at the caliper thinking WTH I’ve never had this much trouble bleeding brakes. I walk back to the front and find Mrs. Firehawk pumping the accelerator. :lmfao:
    “Uhhh… Honey…” we both had a good laugh for a while.

The funniest part while she was pumping the accelerator (car off) she called out “the pedal is getting harder, I think it’s working” :lmfao:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I had Mrs. Firehawk help me bleed the brakes. She’s done it before and knows the process. After maybe 20 pumps there was still nothing at the caliper. I’m at the caliper thinking WTH I’ve never had this much trouble bleeding brakes. I walk back to the front and find Mrs. Firehawk pumping the accelerator. :lmfao:
    “Uhhh… Honey…” we both had a good laugh for a while.

The funniest part while she was pumping the accelerator (car off) she called out “the pedal is getting harder, I think it’s working” :lmfao:
    Good that you could laugh about it.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    The brake job on the wife’s car that should have taken an hour yesterday ended up taking 6. I found both rear calipers were bad and had to replace. One of new calipers also ended up being bad (factory damaged piston seal). So I had to drive to another town to get it exchanged. Good to go now.
    Used to be we would replace pads, turn rotors and rebuild the calipers.

Time passed and then we replaced the pads and the rotors and maybe rebuilt calipers.

Now (in my limited experience), it seems like pads, rotors AND calipers are consumables in light duty cars, etc.

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

Time passed and then we replaced the pads and the rotors and maybe rebuilt to calipers.

Now (in my limited experience), it seems like pads, rotors AND calipers are consumables in light duty cars, etc.
    And lines to the caliper. Always replace the lines.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg

Time passed and then we replaced the pads and the rotors and maybe rebuilt to calipers.

Along these same lines......but worse...

My refrigerator just texted me to replace its air filters.......

Firehawk

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon

Time passed and then we replaced the pads and the rotors and maybe rebuilt calipers.

I’m just old enough to have turned rotors and drums at the first shop I worked at. I don’t know any place that does it now.

The calipers I got were factory rebuilt. New calipers were not available locally.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield

Back in the day rotors used to be these massive hunks of steel. You could mill off 1/8” at a time and still have plenty left. Now in efforts to reduce weight and cost they are only just thick enough to last 1 or maybe 2 sets of pads and there is not enough steel to turn the rotors (:oldwise:when I worked at a service station - not a gas station - all the pumps were full service, everyones oil got checked and windows were cleaned. We had a cash box for the money, sales tax was not included in the pump price so you had to have some math skills (had an argument from out of state folks more than once complaining I was scamming them) and we had these large flimsy books that would come weekly with lists of bad credit card numbers we had to check with every card transaction!)

1717257114784.jpeg

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Back in the day rotors used to be these massive hunks of steel. You could mill off 1/8” at a time and still have plenty left. Now in efforts to reduce weight and cost they are only just thick enough to last 1 or maybe 2 sets of pads and there is not enough steel to turn the rotors (:oldwise:when I worked at a service station - not a gas station - all the pumps were full service, everyones oil got checked and windows were cleaned. We had a cash box for the money, sales tax was not included in the pump price so you had to have some math skills (had an argument from out of state folks more than once complaining I was scamming them) and we had these large flimsy books that would come weekly with lists of bad credit card numbers we had to check with every card transaction!)

View attachment 356266
    :fogey:

:D

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Although it was great to see my oldest daughter (and her husband), their visit and the preparation for it wore me plum out !
    Wife and I agreed that it was good to have overnight company occasionally, because it made us clean the houe. ;)

Thankfully, no politics were brought up, and the food was great.,,,,,Lasagna and German Chocolate cake.

UFC fights tonight. :boxing:

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    This will get THE Bandit to pop-in, so he can accuse my photos of ruining his diet ! :evilangel:
    One thing good about having company is the leftover food, especially the dessert. Ahhh, German Chocolate Cake made by my wife, and rainbow sherbet.

German%20chocolate%20cake%20and%20sherbet-L.jpg

Top Bottom