The Czickness LIII….CZing into the summer with friends near and far.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I recently was looking up a bunch of info on that exact comparison. Both companies have several tiers of quality so you have to make sure you’re comparing apples to apples. The short answer is most reviews say Athlon out performs Arken but Arken is usually priced lower. For example the Athlon Ares BTR is said to be better than the Arken EP5 but the EP5 is cheaper. I was also looking at the Riton 3 Conquer as an entry level scope that has good reviews.

Dollar for Dollar. I would put Arken (with Jap glass) right up there with the next price range tier from Athlon. I prefer the Arken floating dot reticle to the less expensive Athlon lines for precision shooting (though other reticles probably exist).

I would say Athlon is a fine choice.

Recommendations made by long time CZickos carry a lot of weight to me. So I’ll definitely be looking at the other models mentioned.

WOW! They sure got you fooled!

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    Scopes are a tangled mess ! I've looked through some expensive ones, and of course. there's optical excellence .... but getting the last 10% of performance will cost you dearly. If you have the coin and inclination, go for it!

I only own one Athlon scope, and it's one of the cheaper ones. However, it's been mounted on 'Brutus' since the very beginniing, and it hasn't broken yet. That's a good sign.
    This is the truth.

The difference between my Vortex Razor and the Bushnell Match Pro is....ok...yea....huge difference but 3 times the price?

I think the gap from the "best" scope to the "budget" scopes has narrowed significantly the last decade. The "best" scope still, imo, wins in terms of repeatability and high end clarity but nothing like 30 years ago.

Firehawk

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    Dollar for Dollar. I would put Arken (with Jap glass) right up there with the next price range tier from Athlon. I prefer the Arken floating dot reticle to the less expensive Athlon lines for precision shooting (though other reticles probably exist).

I would say Athlon is a fine choice.
    Noted. I was mainly looking at the Athlon Ares BTR vs Arken EP5. I didn’t look at any of their scopes below those.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I recently was looking up a bunch of info on that exact comparison. Both companies have several tiers of quality so you have to make sure you’re comparing apples to apples. The short answer is most reviews say Athlon out performs Arken but Arken is usually priced lower. For example the Athlon Ares BTR is said to be better than the Arken EP5 but the EP5 is cheaper. I was also looking at the Riton 3 Conquer as an entry level scope that has good reviews.

Full disclosure: This is only what I saw according to forums and YT reviews, I have no hands on experience with any of these brands.

I haven’t researched the other scopes mentioned by CZickos but I took notes to look into them. Recommendations made by long time CZickos carry a lot of weight to me. So I’ll definitely be looking at the other models mentioned.

Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27x50 review

Riton X3 Conquer 6-24x50 review

This is the one I'm looking at.

Remember I'm putting this on a Ruger Rimfire Ranch 22lr normal range will be 50yds and maybe get out to 100yds very rarely. So I don't need super fancy because the rifle itself isn't considered a target rifle.
    That said I expect it to out shoot my 10/22.

Last edited:

Firehawk

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon

This is the one I'm looking at.

Remember I'm putting this on a Ruger Rimfire Ranch 22lr normal range will be 50yds and maybe get out to 100yds very rarely. So I don't need super fancy because the rifle itself isn't considered a target rifle.
    That said I expect it to out shoot my 10/22.
    I haven’t researched the Argos. But in that application I don’t think you could go wrong with either one Athlon or Arken.

Also the Arken EPL-4 that others mentioned is on sale on Arken’s website right now for $299-329. That’s a lot of scope at that price.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Noted. I was mainly looking at the Athlon Ares BTR vs Arken EP5. I didn’t look at any of their scopes below those.
    I only own 2 scopes. An Arken sh4j 6-24 and vortex Strike Eagle 4-24. The Strike Eagle is SFP and sits on my 457 MTR and is a strictly bench rest set up, the Arken on my (CM built) LR308 also pretty much a bench rest rifle only. If you want to shoot less than 20-25 yards neither one will focus at close distance. Both hold zero well and track well but the turrets on the Arken are easier to use, however, on my 22 I don’t adjust the turrets as wind holds are constantly changing and affect the shoot from second to second so I just adjust my hold. Both have similar eye-boxes to me and are both very clear to my old eyes. I got a deal on the Strike Eagle when I bought it so it was just under $300, the Arken was around $330 IIRC. I almost got a second Vortex but wanted a FFP in Mil for long distance shooting (and wanted to try something a little different).

I have no experience with Athlon but looked at lots of reviews when I was shopping and from what I have read can’t go wrong with any of these scopes in the sub $500 range.

I looked at the EP5 but did not feel the price difference over the SHJ4 for a larger objective lens and pretty much the same glass got you much of an advantage. There are some comparisons of the 2 on YT. YMMV

@Firehawk or any of you czickos want to look through mine you are welcome to meet me and do so.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    Are you using the CH Precision filler plate?

Yes, sir.

3f100bc30623e59b334291b64e57146a.jpg

…..dang….that gun feels at home in the hand.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    So are Riton scopes good quality? I've heard very little of this company.
    I did look up the website it said their Conquer line is for target shooting.
    Does anyone have any experience with Riton?

@Firehawk

Top Bottom