THE CZickness LII....Autumn or Fall? No matter...season is right for a CZ!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I keep thinking I need a rifle in .308. Don’t know why, I don’t hunt, all my rifle shooting is target and have an AR15 set up for CQ but with everything going n feel I need a battle rifle that could reach out if needed.

Saw this and was thinking something like this or maybe a SA M1A?

Gun fund is low and it would be a new caliber to stock. I go back and forth that if I need anything heavier than my AR I am truly F****d.

Pros and cons? What say ye hive mind?

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I keep thinking I need a rifle in .308. Don’t know why, I don’t hunt, all my rifle shooting is target and have an AR15 set up for CQ but with everything going n feel I need a battle rifle that could reach out if needed.

Gun fund is low and it would be a new caliber to stock. I go back and forth that if I need anything heavier than my AR I am truly F****d.

Talk to mcapo, he has one of CM's old 308 AR's. I bet he'd set you up with a nice little deal on it.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg

First off, M1A? Uh. Yes!!!!! I am more of an M1 fan but everyone should own an M1a, at some point too.

That being said….if you are looking for a centerfire gun for target shooting without any current ammo stock, 308 wouldn’t be my first choice (not my last choice either!) and not sure I’d go with a semi-auto.

If you do want a semi auto that’s not an AR; the BAR is a storied platform that would be a great pickup for anyone! I’ll take mine with wood stocks though. ;-)

I might look at something bolt action in the 6mm or 6.5mm category if you want a intermediate cartridge. Inherently accurate with less recoil impulse than 308 and a smaller bullet with generally good BCs and a flat trajectory.

Or

Look at a small caliber screamer like 204 Ruger, 22-250 etc? Low low recoil, super fast and flat projectile but brutal on less than top notch steel at shorter distances.

Now for the rifle…depends on budget. Given the price of a BAR, you could have a lot of options!

Back to your original post though, if you want an iron sight semi auto - yea - something like a BAR or a an M1a would be great. I might vote for an M1a in a scout configuration.

Ok….now I have to pay for the two cases of Fiocchi 124 I just ordered from Scheels. $565 to my door. That was $400 before covid. WTH?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

Is it really about need?

Firehawk

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon

M1a. Just because I want to shoot it! It’s one of my short list guns that I’ve always wanted, next to a Garand. It’s beautiful, it has history, it can be a battle rifle or you can scope it.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Not finding much ambition lately, rainy weather makes me tired and lazy. Need to filter through my list of gunsmithing projects and find ones I can do that don't require money out of pocket right now. I really need a few things for the mill to make some machining I've done before way less time consuming and increase accuracy too. But that costs money. Wait I shall.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

Tough to beat an M1A, but they are expensive these days. I've had one since 1980.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus

I think both would be great options. I gravitated towards .30-06 for whatever reason which lead to a Savage and the Garand.

I do know that Tikka and Bergara rifles are highly respected in here.:twocents:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom