The Czickness LII.2…..the sunshine and roses version.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I opened the grips up this morning intending to get them installed and wrapped. At first glance the engraving was well done but I was disappointed with the stain. It was very dark and hid a lot of engraving detail. I didn’t get a before of the other side but it was even darker. Also the left side was not cut for the mag release.

View attachment 320147

So I attempted a quick project while the Mrs was out. I cut a relief for the mag release. I took 220 then 400 grip sandpaper and lightly sanded the top surface just enough to create some contrast with the leopard engraving. The right hand grip (left in the pic) started out so dark that I hardly see the leopard face engraved. It looks much better with some contrast.

View attachment 320148

Then I applied a light coat of tung oil over the top surface to help enhance the grain and contrast. Perhaps there’s a better product to use? Idk, but tung oil was on hand and got it done in my limited time. I think she’ll like it and it’s a definitely a big step up from Muddy Girl Camo!

View attachment 320149

Now I’m thinking about what baseplates will go with the grips. The +2 blue baseplates definitely don’t match. Or should I just stick with standard mags?
    Much better after. Nice job.

The before would have been very disappointing.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I opened the grips up this morning intending to get them installed and wrapped. At first glance the engraving was well done but I was disappointed with the stain. It was very dark and hid a lot of engraving detail. I didn’t get a before pic of the other side but it was even darker. Also the left side was not cut for the mag release.

View attachment 320147

So I attempted a quick project while the Mrs was out. I cut a relief for the mag release. I took 220 then 400 grip sandpaper and lightly sanded the top surface just enough to create some contrast with the leopard engraving. The right hand grip (left in the pic) started out so dark that I could hardly see the leopard face engraved. It looks much better with some contrast.

View attachment 320148

Then I applied a light coat of tung oil over the top surface to help enhance the grain and contrast. Perhaps there’s a better product to use? Idk, but tung oil was on hand and got it done in my limited time. I think she’ll like it and it’s a definitely a big step up from Muddy Girl Camo!

View attachment 320149

Now I’m thinking about what baseplates will go with the grips. The +2 blue baseplates definitely don’t match. Or should I just stick with standard mags?
    Std mags would be my choice for the spouse. If she gets into it at all, let her pick her own extra bling.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Morning folks! Attended midweek advent service last night by myself since I’m the only one who isn’t recovering from the stomach virus (mama actually forced me out of the house to enjoy some me time)… Was peaceful. Until while walking out and checking my phone to see that I had a text that the littlest had fallen out of her sisters bunk bed while playing……. Thankfully everyone is ok…

@Leadeye here is the gun I brought up yesterday. Has a great look about it. If I had some extra cash laying around… I’m not smart enough to understand the differences on all these Colts or clones.

That's a 1927 but the pictures don't show the serial numbers which will be on the top of the slide, the top of the barrel, under the mainspring housing of the frame, and if you are really lucky on the magazine. It's definitely been refinished, probably by the Argies as the old Interarms guns had that same sandblasted and phosphated finish. Even a shooter 1927 would be worth the $900 in my opinion as they are solid Colt guns from the 20s.

I have a Colt from 1925 that I bought for $100 at the MCSD sheriff's auction back in the 70s and carried it for years after repair and refinish. It's one of my never sell guns that will go to my sons. I call it my Mike Hammer pistol, from a great TV series, 84-89, with Stacy Keach and a series of fine 80s female co stars.9b7c1c71dc36438c3ece92f9cafca5da.jpg

oldshooter.jpg

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    That's a 1927 but the pictures don't show the serial numbers which will be on the top of the slide, the top of the barrel, under the mainspring housing of the frame, and if you are really lucky on the magazine. It's definitely been refinished, probably by the Argies as the old Interarms guns had that same sandblasted and phosphated finish. Even a shooter 1927 would be worth the $900 in my opinion as they are solid Colt guns from the 20s.

I have a Colt from 1925 that I bought for $100 at the MCSD sheriff's auction back in the 70s and carried it for years after repair and refinish. It's one of my never sell guns that will go to my sons. I call it my Mike Hammer pistol, from a great TV series, 84-89, with Stacy Keach and a series of fine 80s female co stars.View attachment 320155

View attachment 320154
    Thank you for the education, as always! Maybe if mama didn’t just get tires…

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    That’s wise. I can always swap the competition blue grips back on in 60 seconds and run the competition mags if I want to.
    If you are planning this, then the pistol isn't truly hers. I don't know much about women, but have learned that if it's hers, it's hers and cannot be used for anything but what she wants.

You're better off buying another pistol for your use and leave hers alone.

Firehawk

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    If you are planning this, then the pistol isn't truly hers. I don't know much about women, but have learned that if it's hers, it's hers and cannot be used for anything but what she wants.

You're better off buying another pistol for your use and leave hers alone.
    That’s a good point. I corrected my previous post.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The camera thing is coming along nicely. My curio cabinet has my 10 favorites on display with 8 Canons and 2 Yashicas (thanks Wizard) and the darkroom is making progress. I should be developing rolls of film by the end of next week and doing enlargements by the end of January (thanks MM). I feel like I'm 18 years old again. The projects on the bench tonight are a trio of early 70s vintage FTbs that will become a pair of nice cameras. One is black, the other silver.

Yesterday, I picked up what looks like a brand new 200mm FL lens from the early 60s for $10. That's on a period correct FT in this pic.
    ac5e38e99eb5ed552c5516a1058e2165.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom