The Czickness LII.2…..the sunshine and roses version.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Mounds of turkey breast, and lots of smiles. This was my small, but happy group yesterday.

i-hTGzpB3-L.jpg

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Ordered tooling to begin practicing front strap checkering on 1911's. By hand. With a checkering file.

Because I know I'll get asked.....

Yes, I've been researching. Slow and light passes, stop when fatigued, use a file card and chalk often.
    Yes, I bought a good set of files (Grobet).
    Yes, I bought a file card (Grobet).
    Yes, I have chalk.
    Yes, I will tape my fingers or wear gloves.
    Yes, I bought a checkering guide (Power Custom).
    Yes, I plan on practicing on steel before on a gun.

I also plan on practicing metal stippling with various punches and also the dremel method with various attachments.

Plan is to try checkering and stippling. See if I like it, see how the results look and if I want to do more of it. Most 'smiths do checkering on a machine with a fixture. The fixture I want is $1349. I spent about $135 on hand tools for this endeavor and my free time costs me no money. The stippling is intriguing to me. Have read many people say it's a lost art. I like being different and I like that no two patterns are the same.

Screenshot_20231123_083956_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20231123_085706_Chrome.jpg

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Ordered tooling to begin practicing front strap checkering on 1911's. By hand. With a checkering file.

Yes, I've been researching. Slow and light passes, stop when fatigued, use a file card and chalk often.
    Yes, I have chalk.

I also plan on practicing metal stippling with various punches and also the dremel method with various attachments.

Plan is to try checkering and stippling. See if I like it, see how the results look and if I want to do more of it. Most 'smiths do checkering on a machine with a fixture. The fixture I want is $1349. I spent about $135 on hand tools for this endeavor and my free time costs me no money. The stippling is intriguing to me. Have read many people say it's a lost art. I like being different and I like that no two patterns are the same.

View attachment 314020
    View attachment 314021

Wow .... the stippling is so intricate, that it almost looks like grip tape ! Interesting. :thumbsup:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Yes, I have chalk.

View attachment 314020
    View attachment 314021
    Go for it @T-DOGG

It won't be long and we'll be saying "we knew him back when he was just starting to dabble in this stuff and only somewhat crazy. Now he's full on crazy like a gunsmith version of Van Gogh and I Wish I could afford his work now"

(well except for mcapo, Chris, and gmcttr because well they have multiple staccato kind of $$$)

I know there are smiths that stipple hi powers as there isn't enough material to checker on the front straps as I've been told.

I believe @drillsgt is known to do some really nice looking hand checkering on 1911's, etc.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    At FGE, Allen looked at my Talon grip tape on my guns and told me I did a nice job on my checkering. I know now that he was joking. :):
    That said, I could be wrong, but I believe he has stated he doesn't hand checker but has admired the work of those that do and do it well. He is setup to cut them though and does some great work that way.

Last edited:

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    That said, I could be wrong, but I believe he has stated he doesn't hand checker but has admired the work of those that do and do it well. He is setup to cut them though and does some great work that way.
    He uses the Keller Checkering Fixture on his mill. Allen is not a skinflint. Be like Allen, don't be a Travis. Nobody likes a skinflint. Except me of course. I love me.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    He uses the Keller Checkering Fixture on his mill. Allen is not a skinflint. Be like Allen, don't be a Travis. Nobody likes a skinflint. Except me of course. I love me.
    Once you get a business going you can at least take some of those things as an expense or depreciate it as a capital expenditure (depending on what it is, cost of it, etc).

And when you are doing it as a business, time is money.

Makes sense to do certain things differently once you make that jump.

Last edited:

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Once you get a business going you can at least take some of those things as an expense or depreciate it as a capital expenditure (depending on what it is, cost of it, etc).

And when you are doing it as a business, time is money.

Makes sense to do certain things differently once you make that jump.
    Agreed. That fixture will pay for itself. Have read smiths that use it are able to knock out more than a couple of checkering jobs in a day.

I'm still waiting on NH planning dept to call me back. I'll give it until sometime next week before I call them.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom