The Czickness LII.2…..the sunshine and roses version.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Picked up this EGW checkered mainspring housing in their bargain bin for $25, plus another 15% off for Black Friday. It was a blem with a few areas that were dinged up in the checkering, but really not that bad. Cleaned em up a little bit with my file and bead blasted. Fits the frame better, looks better, and gives better traction.

Notice the old one was sitting recessed in the frame pocket and left the corners of the frame exposed. Nice simple and cheap improvement here.

20231203_092503.jpg
    20231203_094458.jpg
    20231203_094602.jpg

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I have 1 gun that hasn't been shot except from the factory. I really would love to shoot it but being its a collector, made in extremely low quantities and I can't get another without spending mega $$, I'd hate to see dolla bills fly along with the lead if I did shoot it, so I do understand the "not shooting it" thing. Other than that 1, I shoot'em all, especially the ones intended for carry or home defense.

To clarify, my comments were not in reference to collectible guns. Safe queens that go up in value the less they're shot are a completely different beast. Of course, those guns should not have any mods done, except in rare cases where that would increase the value. My comments are for standard, everyday guns, especially guns that are carried or used for defensive purposes... ;)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    My "collector guns" get shot off and on, but not much. When something new arrives regardless of condition I'm focused on getting it shooting at least once. Sometimes the wait for parts puts a brake on that enthusiasm, but i substitute by finding something else to work on.

Firehawk

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    I have a few inherited guns that I haven’t shot yet. I found that a couple of them need repaired during my initial inspection and cleaning. I’ll get around to repairing and shooting them sometime, it’s just not a priority right now.

I’ve never carried a gun I haven’t shot. And I’ve shot every gun I’ve purchased.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    WARNING: Venting post....read at your own risk...

Appliance install from - not heaven....

Fridge required (expected and planned for) cabinet modifications. No big deal except my old table saw had a screw failure that took an good hour to fix. Fridge had enough packing tape and finish protection wrap to fill a trash bag. How long to install a fridge (which included moving old fridge to basement - old basement fridge to SIL's house)? Oh...about four hours....plus a lunch break.

Double Wall Oven - Well....the rough in dimensions that Frigidaire list where exactly the width of my rough-in - which is masonry. Keep that is mind - brick.

The width had zero variance from the rough-in minimum so every slight variation in the brick or mortar caused a bind. At first, I thought I would grind off the offending masonry areas. Quickly decided against that, grabbed some saws and "reduced" the width of the oven unit. Problem solved. Warranty voided. Final fitment today, as this turned into 4 more hours of frustration...

Then the cooktop. Same deal with Fridgidaire. Rough in measurements (yes, I checked before buying) had zero variance but in this case my rough-in was at the wide end of the range. which meant that the glass was resting on the just the slightest bit of countertop so I have to mount some 3/4" brackets to the granite. Fun...but...

The cooktop installation guide calls for 5mm of glass to countertop clearance. WTH? See Figure 9 below. The only mounting hardware are two little flimsy "retainer" brackets. They mount to the center on each side. If you provide 5mm of clearance to the countertop, the cooktop will clearly rock back and forth on the brackets. My existing radiant unit just sat flush. I am a little confused here.

I ask the internet for answers but that was just wasted time....

View attachment 316241
    5 mm gap looks excessive, I wonder if its an error?
    this one says 2mm but I always (to quote you) “have a guy for that” as I find its much easier on my sanity, blood pressure and marriage (someone other than me to blame :cool: ). YMMV
    1701620668930.jpeg

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Picked up this EGW checkered mainspring housing in their bargain bin for $25, plus another 15% off for Black Friday. It was a blem with a few areas that were dinged up in the checkering, but really not that bad. Cleaned em up a little bit with my file and bead blasted. Fits the frame better, looks better, and gives better traction.

Notice the old one was sitting recessed in the frame pocket and left the corners of the frame exposed. Nice simple and cheap improvement here.

View attachment 316271
    View attachment 316272
    View attachment 316273
    Looking good Carlos!

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    5 mm gap looks excessive, I wonder if its an error?
    this one says 2mm but I always (to quote you) “have a guy for that” as I find its much easier on my sanity, blood pressure and marriage (someone other than me to blame :cool: ). YMMV
    View attachment 316289

I have a plan. Going to install utilizing the Matt-Method. I am confident in its ability to accomplish anything to, umm, a certain degree of perfection.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    I don’t have any collectors items and doubt I will. I shoot everything. Never would carry something before I take it to range.

On a side note I can get a compact p9 thst is blued not stainless like one above. What are thoughts on a decent price for it and who knows if it takes readily available Cz parts if it would need repair

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I don’t have any collectors items and doubt I will. I shoot everything. Never would carry something before I take it to range.

On a side note I can get a compact p9 thst is blued not stainless like one above. What are thoughts on a decent price for it and who knows if it takes readily available Cz parts if it would need repair
    I believe they were made by Tanfoglio so some parts may work but Tanfo parts should also be available.

No clue on price but this guy got a great deal IMHO

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom