The Czickness LII….it is the grey time of year. Tungsten Grey that is…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I think it depends. I had a love for computers and it was my main hobby back in the mid 90's. I still did well going into IT and felt that having a passion for computers helped me be a better IT worker. I think, in order to truly enjoy your job and feel like you're contributing to society and earning a wage in a manner that makes you happy, or at least content, you have to have passion for what you're doing. I'm still passionate about Information Security, even after being in this field for 11 years. Yes, I no longer have a passion for computers and regular IT work, but I transitioned to something similar to keep my passion going (and to get a better paycheck). I don't think there's anything wrong with being passionate about what you do. You do need to be careful, as your love for what is basically now your hobby may sour once you're doing it because you have to, rather than because you want to.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I've watched that video before. If I remember right he says he had a passion for something, but wasn't that good at it? That isn't the case for me.
    I understand and meant to add that. For me it's more about balancing things and making good money at something that may not be your favorite and balancing that with being able to do what you like and if you can make some money at that.

That said, be careful about turning something you love into a job.

My previous post was basically about if your spouse can balance out your family's needs and allow you to do more of what you want then try it. In my case, it's the opposite and I carry the benefits and make the $$ and she gets to do more of what she wants. That said, it makes for a lot of pressure on the one that is doing what is needed and carrying the load.

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I'll add this to my earlier reply as well...

Puts things in perspective a bit about balancing passion with earning capabilities, etc.

Mike Rowe was an opera singer, I wonder how that part of his career path influenced that video?

I tend to agree with Rowe and especially the last point in the video.....don't follow your passion but take it with you.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    I think it depends. I had a love for computers and it was my main hobby back in the mid 90's. I still did well going into IT and felt that having a passion for computers helped me be a better IT worker. I think, in order to truly enjoy your job and feel like you're contributing to society and earning a wage in a manner that makes you happy, or at least content, you have to have passion for what you're doing. I'm still passionate about Information Security, even after being in this field for 11 years. Yes, I no longer have a passion for computers and regular IT work, but I transitioned to something similar to keep my passion going (and to get a better paycheck). I don't think there's anything wrong with being passionate about what you do. You do need to be careful, as your love for what is basically now your hobby may sour once you're doing it because you have to, rather than because you want to.
    See...you took your passion with you. I see that as the greater point of video.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I got into the industry I'm in because our daughter was very young and we needed good insurance and better pay. I realized several weeks into it that I didn't like the industry. Coming up on 11 years and pay/benefits are the only reasons I've stayed. Zero interest in the industry still.

I don't want to get into the details of my finances and bills, etc on the forum.

Moral of the story: **** poor planning

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    I've seen some decent 586's here and there but still can't get past the hole, not sure why after all these years it's still there.
    I always thought that someday it would quietly go away.

Hasn't happened - obviously.

I have seen a number of 27's that are basically matte blue. Maybe its just what I have seen. I should probably look closer at current production before stating "facts" on the internet...............nah.

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    I got into the industry I'm in because our daughter was very young and we needed good insurance and better pay. I realized several weeks into it that I didn't like the industry. Coming up on 11 years and pay/benefits are the only reasons I've stayed. Zero interest in the industry still.

I don't want to get into the details of my finances and bills, etc on the forum.

Don't devalue your accomplishments. You have provided a stable, safe and need-free life for your family though hard work and a commitment to "doing it right".

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Don't devalue your accomplishments. You have provided a stable, safe and need-free life for your family though hard work and a commitment to "doing it right".
    Appreciate that. The company's "toxic" environment and serious lack of leadership has taken its toll on me. I feel mentally beat down.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

I wouldn't say that was bad planning. How many people don't do what is needed and expect others to take care of their family/kids or just don't care if anyone does. You have skills that you can take and do something else, just do it when the time is right for you and not because you got frustrated and feel backed into a corner. That's what good planning is.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom