• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Gunbroker Sunday?

A Colt 1878 with an inscription to George Maledon sold for over $4K last night. There was no historical provenance and if you check around you find lots of different guns with the same inscription from Colt Navy to S&Ws. Not saying it isn't real, George liked his 1878s, but that's a lot for a historical item with no provenance.

George Maledon was Judge Parker's chief hangman in Fort Smith.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    A Colt 1878 with an inscription to George Maledon sold for over $4K last night. There was no historical provenance and if you check around you find lots of different guns with the same inscription from Colt Navy to S&Ws. Not saying it isn't real, George liked his 1878s, but that's a lot for a historical item with no provenance.

George Maledon was Judge Parker's chief hangman in Fort Smith.
    That's interesting. I'm not a collector at all, but one would think that no historical provenance would be a big factor in pricing, but seems like not in the real world.

Just curious, in your estimation (which I value quite a bit), if it did have historical provenance to prove authenticity what should it have gone for?

It always amazes me how much people pay for that stuff with authenticity "papers" let alone with out it.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    That's interesting. I'm not a collector at all, but one would think that no historical provenance would be a big factor in pricing, but seems like not in the real world.

Just curious, in your estimation (which I value quite a bit), if it did have historical provenance to prove authenticity what should it have gone for?

It always amazes me how much people pay for that stuff with authenticity "papers" let alone with out it.

You should see the crazy prices I have paid for Hoosier45 items even though he refuses to sign the provenance papers.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

Guns with special provenance are always expensive items, but just like "Confederate" items, the value is in the details. A Colt 1878 in the photographed condition sells for about $1200 by itself these days. Taking a chance on the provenance limited me out at $1700 which the revolver passed pretty quickly.

Some things put me off on this gun, number one was the no exchange, no return. The lack of a Colt letter, an easy provenance to get, that would have placed the gun going to Judge Parker or a gun store close to Fort Smith was another. Checking old auctions around the internet turned up guns with similar inscriptions like a Colt 1851 that didn't sell. Last of all George's "authentic" Colt 1878 is in the Fort Smith museum.

An acquaintance of mine that runs a cowboy movie prophouse out west dropped out at $1800 which helped confirm my suspicions, but you never know what more extensive searches will turn up so both of us were gambling, up to a point. For a gun like that, with a solid provenance, $4k would have been a bargain.

People are paying crazy money these days for older American guns with ties to the frontier, origional Winchesters and Colt SAAs get more expensive every week on GB.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    CZ has been saying for a few months that a new gun was coming. This morning around 1AM Eastern, TFBTV dropped their video on the new CZ Shadow 2 Compact. I don't know that it is a gun that I have a need for, but it looks at least interesting.

A lot of people online were hoping for an updated P-07, or a "P-05" (a P365 competitor).

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    CZ has been saying for a few months that a new gun was coming. This morning around 1AM Eastern, TFBTV dropped their video on the new CZ Shadow 2 Compact. I don't know that it is a gun that I have a need for, but it looks at least interesting.

A lot of people online were hoping for an updated P-07, or a "P-05" (a P365 competitor).

Guess it makes sense for CZ. Moves product development away from the traditional "75" line into the Shadow2 line.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Knife ordered. Pics when it comes in.

Worked with our INGO supporting vendor Edged Tools, who was gracious enough to answer many questions via PM right here on INGO.

Now I just need to find someone to sharpen my current EDC so it can be a good backup.
    Getting around to posting some pics.
    Actually got this on Saturday, after ordering mid day on Friday, so super quick delivery.
    I actually ordered this knife with a different set of textured scales, but received it with the black smoother scales. Not a big deal and @Edged Tools was very quick to follow up and worked with me to make all that right.

He also helped me in the whittling down process (pun intended) of what I was looking for, and just was super responsive on both pre, during and after sale discussion.

I'd definitely look to order from him again when I'm checking out more knives and suspect that will be sooner than later.

I only bring in the above to say that the pics aren't super impressive (especially quickly taken on my cell) compared to the function of this knife, which seems outstanding so far.

20230821_195405266_iOS - Copy.jpg20230821_195337237_iOS - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom