THE CZickness L....Celebrating 50 threads with CZs, gunsmoke and serious discussion....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    So, PSA has the TA31F-G for $949 right now. That's a 4x32 with the green chevron reticle. And, that's a tough price to pass up. I was figuring that I'd be spending about $1200 per rifle that will be set up.
    Ran several Acogs years ago. If a bombproof fixed power optic is what you seek, there is no better option. With the dual illumination (fiber optic and tritium) I did find the green reticle too bright during the sunny days and used the electrical tape trick to darken it slightly. YMMV.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    @WebSnyper

The lack of a firm reset on the Hi-Power design is why I chose not to buy one of the clones. Otherwise I like the gun.

*Same reason I don't like the S&W M&P guns, even with Apex upgrades.
    The 2.0 M&P's are much better than 1.0 IMO. Even better than 1.0 with the Apex RAM kit. I sold a 1.0 with a RAM kit installed for that very reason.

Going to see what Allen can do on the Hi Power.

Last edited:

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    The 2.0 M&P's are much better than 1.0 IMO. Even better than 1.0 with the Apex GSM kit. I sold a 1.0 with a RAM kit installed for that very reason.

Look forward to hearing about this. If memory serves, there's a place in Indiana that specializes in HP upgrades.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Look forward to hearing about this. If memory serves, there's a place in Indiana that specializes in HP upgrades.
    Just dropped it off with Allen. He's going to fit a C&S trigger in it first and then go from there. He agreed the reset in mine was nonexistent to strange compared to how even his started. That said, he said trigger pull weight wasn't bad (said his started out at like 9lbs).

The reset and pull in his that he's put a lot of cylinder and slide internals in was really nice.

We'll see in a few weeks how it is. If the trigger doesn't get it where he thinks it's good, may do more with it.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Just dropped it off with Allen. He's going to fit a C&S trigger in it first and then go from there. He agreed the reset in mine was nonexistent to strange compared to how even his started. That said, he said trigger pull weight wasn't bad (said his started out at like 9lbs).

The reset and pull in his that he's put a lot of cylinder and slide internals in was really nice.

We'll see in a few weeks how it is. If the trigger doesn't get it where he thinks it's good, may do more with it.
    :popcorn:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    The 2.0 M&P's are much better than 1.0 IMO. Even better than 1.0 with the Apex GSM kit. I sold a 1.0 with a RAM kit installed for that very reason.

Smith & Wesson fan here....

I respectfully disagree. :stickpoke:After nearly two decades of development, the lack of a reset in the M&P line is a failure of SW.....but that didn't stop me from buying the first 10mm M&P that I saw. :lmfao:

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Me too. I honestly should be bringing him more work on a regular, but only so much you can do with the normal stuff I'm into (striker fired) except cosmetics, which I should talk to him about some slide work on a 320 possibly.

Last "real" project I had him do was many years ago when I had him carry "melt"/bevel the slide on a gen 3 Glock 19 and refinish it. That was years before the gen 5s came out with beveled slides. Still have that gun, and always will.

I'm like 5 minutes from him.

That and he's always got something cool to check out while in there.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Smith & Wesson fan here....

I respectfully disagree. :stickpoke:After nearly two decades of development, the lack of a reset in the M&P line is a failure of SW.....but that didn't stop me from buying the first 10mm M&P that I saw. :lmfao:
    Not sure what auto correct did in my post but that should have said RAM kit. Can't speak to full house Apex trigger kits.

I had to get rid of my M&P 9c 1.0 as I couldn't deal with the trigger. Probably should have kept it and done a full APEX setup in it, (RAM kit made it better but not enough) but it didn't do enough for me at the time to switch from Glock platform. The 2.0 came out and I switched, but didn't stay there long (still have some M&P's) before I switched up to Sigs primarily (365 variants mostly for EDC, along with some 320 X-compacts).

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Lathe progress. Fabricated a bracket/mount for the extra 3 phase motor off the mill (mill was setup for vertical and horizontal milling, not using the horizontal portion). Just waiting on some belts to arrive today before I give pictures of the setup. I'll use the VFD to control the mill and the lathe (switch setup to power one or other, not both at same time). Using the VFD to control the speed of the lathe, I eliminated the complex factory setup and will no longer require swapping belts to different pulleys and using the back gear for low speeds. I can control the RPM of the motor itself instead. Basically direct drive, motor to lathe spindle. Motor is 1 1/2hp, instead of 1/3hp that was on there previously. It's bigger than the headstock.

20230417_110727.jpg

Meanwhile, I'm addressing some things while waiting. Spindle nut was chewed up from previous owners. It requires a spanner wrench, that I don't have. I used a punch for removal, but that chews up the hole where the spanner goes. Got to looking around and the nut was basically same size as an AR-15 barrel nut. So I went that direction and made 5 slots along the circumference.

20230417_104112.jpg
    20230417_105515.jpg
    20230417_105414.jpg

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Ran several Acogs years ago. If a bombproof fixed power optic is what you seek, there is no better option. With the dual illumination (fiber optic and tritium) I did find the green reticle too bright during the sunny days and used the electrical tape trick to darken it slightly. YMMV.
    First thing we’d do when grabbing our rifles out of the armory was tape up the fiber. Especially at the range when shooting the 500m. I wanted the optic dead.

Shooting both eyes open was weird at first but it becomes super instinctual with a little bit of practice…

And now I want an acog…
    Crap!

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Lathe progress. Fabricated a bracket/mount for the extra 3 phase motor off the mill (mill was setup for vertical and horizontal milling, not using the horizontal portion). Just waiting on some belts to arrive today before I give pictures of the setup. I'll use the VFD to control the mill and the lathe (switch setup to power one or other, not both at same time). Using the VFD to control the speed of the lathe, I eliminated the complex factory setup and will no longer require swapping belts to different pulleys and using the back gear for low speeds. I can control the RPM of the motor itself instead. Basically direct drive, motor to lathe spindle. Motor is 1 1/2hp, instead of 1/3hp that was on there previously. It's bigger than the headstock.

View attachment 270261

Meanwhile, I'm addressing some things while waiting. Spindle nut was chewed up from previous owners. It requires a spanner wrench, that I don't have. I used a punch for removal, but that chews up the hole where the spanner goes. Got to looking around and the nut was basically same size as an AR-15 barrel nut. So I went that direction and made 5 slots along the circumference.

View attachment 270256
    View attachment 270257
    View attachment 270259
    I’m absolutely loving this journey.
    Thanks for the updates!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom