THE CZickness L....Celebrating 50 threads with CZs, gunsmoke and serious discussion....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    If you are looking for a relatively inexpensive hobby consider parquetry!

First get a cutting mat, a couple of exacto knives, some nice triangles of various angles like you would use when drafting.

Next get some wood veneer. Do not need much. Check out some options here (i usually only get a single sheet of each that I want):

More common woods (walnut, cherry, maple, etc) can be had at your local Rockler or other woodworking supply store.

Build a home vacuum press. $150-200. Here’s mine, plans and parts easily found on the internet (you need an air compressor but don’t need a ton of capacity—I am sure you already have one):

View attachment 262436

A cheap band saw to cut circles with $100-150 all day long).

And patience and a little practice and in 5 or 6 hours (got this one to this point in in 3-4 days).

View attachment 262441

View attachment 262442
    A couple more days applying finish (99% of that time waiting for it to dry) and you get a lazy susan something like this

View attachment 262443
    Now learn to do a squirrel on a gunstock.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Never had a good feel for carving. Never invested in nice tools though. A nice set of carving tools is a significant investment.
    Look on rimfire central and search "the pencilist" and ask around in there. He did several inlays using different woods and had squirrels looking over the stock at you. Neat work. More artwork than geometry though. You would appreciate it.
    DSCN0500 (1).jpg

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I replaced the quad rail on an M&P 15OR with an Aero Atlas today. Then. Ran down to HHRP for a function check when done. It shaved almost 9 ounces from the rifle and I'm a happy camper with the results.
    43ab9d499dbccfe0f499a3f8cede9e5f.jpg
    I really like those Atlas handguards!

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    I haven't posted much lately, because I've succeeded in banging myself up ! waaa2

Wet leaves on the trail last week .... Boom, went down pretty hard. I sprained my left wrist, and I'm left-handed (and bent my Leki hiking pole in a 45 degree arc). My wife has me in an elastic wrist cuff, but even without it, I couldn't do much with that hand .... like play guitar, or type.

Fast-forward to today. I needed a project .... and decided that I could sweep the basement floor with my shop vac, using my right hand. All went well, until I was finishing the basement steps. Foot got tripped on the cord while on the last step.
    Boom ... didn't crash all the way down, but got twisted and turned. Broke my right toe, and jacked-up my left knee. So, I've been using ice packs since 3 PM, and now can at least hobble to the bathroom.

Oh well .... trying to look at the bright side .... I'm still in the game !
    Wow! Take it easy, MM. I hope you get mended up soon!

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Thanks, man. Boomer went boom !
    have to start calling you 3M, MM!!! and the 3rd M is for the Michelin man.....get you one of those inflatable, cushy, sumo suits. So you can be a Weeble Wobble.....they weeve and they wobble, BUT they don't fall over....

Seriously, hope your feeling better!!! Falling sucks, and as we age, well.....falling REALLY SUCKS!!!!! Take care, MM!!!! and sit down with some "medicine"......
    rum and coke:40oz::40oz::40oz:......just make sure you're at a place if you pass out, you don't have to get up and you drink from an adult sippy cup (plastic, with a spill sproof lid, and straw).

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Now if you would have broke ribs.....no joking, laughing is not good with broken ribs......first hand experience with this. When I got some bruised and broke from catching a high pass from our "Air Force" high school quarterback, (dude always was throwing at your helmet or higher), I had to wear a rib pad. The pad sucked!!!! It hurt just to walk!!!! Laughing???.....should have found an electric scooter, and a nice dark room until the ribs had healed....and I wasn't of legal drinking age at the time.....more ugh!!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom